PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

My Black Lab needs to shed some weight!

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Pari

My Black Lab needs to shed some weight!

Postby Pari » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:07 pm

I have a female black lab. I know labs are prone to being fat! "Katie" is 4yo and gets fed 2cups of food in the morning and one at night. She stays in the garage all day and gets out when we come home from work at about 3:30 P.M. central. In the summer she runs all the time and swims in the pond. Last summer I got her some diet dog food and it helped w/ excersize as well. I need some way to get her trimmed down. My brother has a black and yellow lab. He leaves a HUGE bowl of food out for them 24/7 and he can barely keep weight on them. I need some advice
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Black Lab needs to shed some weight!

Postby pat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:03 am

Pari wrote:I have a female black lab. I know labs are prone to being fat! "Katie" is 4yo and gets fed 2cups of food in the morning and one at night. She stays in the garage all day and gets out when we come home from work at about 3:30 P.M. central. In the summer she runs all the time and swims in the pond. Last summer I got her some diet dog food and it helped w/ excersize as well. I need some way to get her trimmed down. My brother has a black and yellow lab. He leaves a HUGE bowl of food out for them 24/7 and he can barely keep weight on them. I need some advice

I know with some dogs it is hard to keep weight down. what type of dog food are you feeding her? I personally don't use any or very little.
I use "taste of the wild" but, only give them very little. I also give them cooked chicken with very little sweet potatoes or rice

Maybe your dog just needs more exercise :shrug: mine get free run of the property, but, my property is fenced in. (7 acres)
how old is your dog? can you make some type of outside run for your dog for when you are not home?

don't feel bad about your chubby dog. I have a beagle that is fat. but, she is lazy now. she don't even want to go outside much anymore. :roll:
I even had her at the vets, they didn't find anything wrong with her :shrug:
my aussie loves going outside. his weight is normal.

the other members will most likely give you more ideas.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Check on the dog food bag, how many cups of food you should be feeding a dog that is typically 55–70 lbs (that is the average weight of a healthy female lab). Most of weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, not exercise, so feeding her less will undoubtedly help her lose weight. No table scraps or stealing food from other pets either.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:33 pm

It's hard because it feels cruel but it really is mostly just cutting back the food. You're giving 3 cups so cup back 1/4 cup of that and if she's not loosing by then cut back another 1/4, also remember any treats given count as food. If you get uncomfortable about the amount fed you can talk to the vet about it and if they think it's too little they can check of other issues.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Is she spayed? Just asking because spayed animals gain weight more than an unspayed one.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
Seiter

Postby Seiter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:39 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:It's hard because it feels cruel but it really is mostly just cutting back the food. You're giving 3 cups so cup back 1/4 cup of that and if she's not loosing by then cut back another 1/4, also remember any treats given count as food. If you get uncomfortable about the amount fed you can talk to the vet about it and if they think it's too little they can check of other issues.

I don't see this as cruel at all. You're doing it to help the animal live a more healthy and happy life in the long run.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:30 pm

I think dry dog food, or even can (not sure about the can) has more carbs in it than it should. carbs contribute to weight gain.
that is why I feed mine cooked chicken and very little dog food.

wildthingsmom

Postby wildthingsmom » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:31 pm

putting a couple teaspoons of can pumpkin in his food will help fill him up. You can even put some in a ice cube tray and freeze it as a treat. It doesn't have to be a lot just a tablespoon or so. It's also a good treat on hot days. Pumpkin is a great fiber and helps full up the amount of food you reduce from his diet. Low sodium or fresh green beans make great treats along with carrots. Mine like apples too but you have to watch the sugar or you defet the diet plan. Just remember NO grape, raisins or Macadamean nuts. Watermelon is good lots of fiber and water. Just watch fruit with a lot of sugar.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:11 am

wildthingsmom wrote:putting a couple teaspoons of can pumpkin in his food will help fill him up. You can even put some in a ice cube tray and freeze it as a treat. It doesn't have to be a lot just a tablespoon or so. It's also a good treat on hot days. Pumpkin is a great fiber and helps full up the amount of food you reduce from his diet. Low sodium or fresh green beans make great treats along with carrots. Mine like apples too but you have to watch the sugar or you defet the diet plan. Just remember NO grape, raisins or Macadamean nuts. Watermelon is good lots of fiber and water. Just watch fruit with a lot of sugar.

I agree about the pumpkin. glad you reminded me.(I am out of it) I feed that to my dogs along with their chicken. they do like the pumpkin.
I use sugarless pumpkin also.

the ice cubes is a good idea. mine like them, I put it in their water dishes.

also exercise for them helps too. right now, my beagle is inactive, not sure what is wrong with her. she has gained weight, but don't eat much :shrug: she has a vet appointment tomorrow.

I agree about the grapes and nuts.didn't know about the watermellon. not sure if my dogs will eat it, but, I will try again and put ice cubes in it.

thank you for your post.

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”