Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

The coolest rare breed - Lundehund

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Splashstorm

Re: The coolest rare breed - Lundehund

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:07 pm

My sister wanted one, but then she changed her mind when she read how hard they were to pottytrain. =___=
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:45 pm

That was the kookiest gait I have ever seen on a dog! They sure are cute.
~RabbleFox
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Those are so cute! I wonder if there are any breeders in the US of those fellas. They're very interesting!
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Splashstorm wrote:My sister wanted one, but then she changed her mind when she read how hard they were to pottytrain.

I honestly doubt your sister could have gotten one anyway. I don't think the keepers of this breed would just sell a puppy to anyone who asked.

I wasn't aware of their extra toes. That's very interesting!
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:33 pm

http://www.lundehund.com/

It looks like you could get one by contacting these people. I wonder how much they cost since they're so rare.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:36 am

I didn't know about the extra toes either! Those are interesting. I'd never thought about how a dog with extra toes would walk. I like that video.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:07 am

They are attainable. They are not very healthy at this point. I have a beagle American Eskimo cross that looks just like them including the rear dewclaws!
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:34 pm

Is that the normal Lundehund gait?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Yes their shoulder joints are different from regular dogs. Their jaws are also different with less teeth.

I agree on the health issues, would make me shy away from getting one, the small amount of saviors they bred from must not have been ideal genetically. I wonder though if a lot couldn't be avoided with a raw poultry diet. I mean they were puffin hunters so that's probably what they were bred to be fed on.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:21 pm

What are their health problems?
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:26 pm

They have an inherited digestive problem that can be fatal. I can imagine they probably are prone to joint problems as well. Also, years of inbreeding will probably have rendered the breed vulnerable to other diseases.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:43 pm

They call it Lundehund syndrome but it's really a mix of digestive disorders that any breed can get but the Lundehund are very very prone to them(it's not really one problem). They can have different ones to different degrees. The main things are bacterial over growth and malabsorption type issues. It's recommended to test their protein blood levels twice a year as their protein levels can drop long before you see any symptoms with the malabsorption type issues.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:18 pm

That breed is in some of my dog breed books. I don't recall any of them saying anything about their unique walking or their extra toes though. Really interesting. Thanks for sharing. ^^ They kind of look a tiny bit like mini-tan and white wolves.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:22 pm

No problem. I thought people might find them interesting too. I have a cousin that is really into them. She even recently traced some of the lines and found they are less inbred than standard poodles using the COI formula so the breeders have actually been very careful about that even though they came from such a small pool once someone decided to care enough to save them.

If they weren't a domestic breed such major physiological differences could potentially get them listed as a separate subspecies if not a whole different species. Too bad people didn't recognize how special they are earlier.

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”