Beaker

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beaker

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:18 pm

So no basenji or schnauzer I got another chihuahua but he's a purebred this time though not show type.

Taking Hyzzie for a walk we run into a girl with a couple chihuahuas and asks if we know anyone who would want one.

He has been dubbed Beaker. He was a Millo so Beaker Millo the first.

He's about a year old and his old owner is going off to college, the other into the military. She said she tried adopting him out several times but he kept coming back. He's sweet, quiet, non-aggressive friendly and a bit clumsy. He kept falling into bushes he was marking but he does have a recently injured front paw but it's not bad just favors it.

He's pure bred with papers and was free but he does still have his balls and not 100% in the house training dept so the balls will likely go. He is fitting in well so far. Hyzzie dog is putting him in his place but he accepts and they did a few play bows at each other. Both sleeping by me right now but not by each other. He and Jake are just fine too. Jake kitty is bigger than him. He is 8.5 pounds and Jake is 12.

Beaker Millo the first by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Beaker dozing by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Beaker getting a drink by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Lunch smells good by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Beaker cchecking the trash by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Taken by webcam so as not to wake him
My Beaker Buddy by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beaker

Postby pat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:52 pm

ahh, he is adorable.
he looks like has adjusted quite well.
I love the last picture of him.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:43 pm

That's really cute that he's clumsy. :mrgreen: And it's great that he's getting along well with Hyzzie. I didn't really care for chihuahuas until I saw your mixes and then I started thinking they were cute. I like Beaker's coat color. :)

Do chihuahuas usually take well to a new home? All the chihuahuas I've seen seem to be one-person dogs and so I guess I always thought it would be harder for them to adjust.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:45 pm

What a cute chihuahua you got there, tamanduagirl. Keep us updated with pictures! I like his appearance better, than the show qualified chihuahuas.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:04 am

Thank you.

His type is a "deer type" chihuahua the show chihuahuas are Cobby/apple head type. The deer type are truer to their original looks when fresh from Mexico. I've always preferred that look myself too.

I would have thought the same Ash but he's settled right in. Just got him this afternoon and it's like he's been here for weeks at least. First time I picked him up he was licking my face.

Quasi settled right in when we got him too but was a little neurotic about thinking he was going to get in trouble for anything and everything. When I didn't go to bed as early as he was used to from his old home he went and hid in the cat box, lol, poor guy. I think he was abused though he had a healed split lip and broken rib. He bonded to me right away though. He was one who liked everyone and strangers too. He wanted everyone to pet him.

Hyzzie was spayed right before bringing her home but she took to me right off and Quasi too it just took him awhile to accept her. About similar to Hyzzie and Beaker. Quasi just grred when she got to close or touched him. But it wasn't long before they were playing. Similar to Beaker and Hyzzie now. He tried to lay next to her under the covers but she said no but she's tolerating him and not freaking out about him. They ate their meals near each other with no issues. Hyzzie does have stranger trust issues and normally wont let strangers touch her but I don't think her murky past was nice either.

Beaker was socialized well and/or just has a naturally great personality. He's friendly with strangers, well obviously since we are/were, but he went right up to a neighbor to say hi too. He seems to know I'm his but is happy to spend time with other family members too. I found a toy he liked and we played with it then he played fetch with me for awhile. When he decided he was done he ran past the toy and out to see my dad for awhile before coming back. He's always looking for me though.

Will call the vet Monday for a hello check up and to have his paw looked at. There's actually a fairly large bump just above his "wrist". Oh they said he had and survived parvo(his brother died though) so he'll be immune to that.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:57 am

I love deer type Chichis (sorry I call all Chihuahuas that, heh). I had a regular at the grooming salon named Jake that I absolutely loved. He was so soft, and his colors really did make him look like a deer! He actually used to be really awful for getting his nails done, but once I started bathing him regularly he got much better. One of the sweetest dogs I've groomed :D

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Yeah that guy is cute, like his color too. My first personal dog was a chihuahua/fox terrier mix. She just looked like a large deer type but in her older years showed more of the fox terrier as her neck thickened up.

When I was just a toddler my parents had this old AKC book of dogs breeds and I'd flip through it all the time and selected the chihuahuas as my favorite so later they got me Goldie(the mix) to keep me company when my brother was hospitalized. I've had mixes ever since.

I was actually planning on getting a little bigger breed this time but this litter pure chihuahua found me instead so I've got smaller.

Seeing an anteater for the first time
Seeing an anteater for the first time by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

He's not a barker at all and loves everyone. He wanted to jump in a ladies car at the gas station after being pet. He's a lover for sure.

Hyzzie is warming up to him. When we got ready for their second walk today she started barking and doing play jumping-bows at him like she used to do to Quasi. Beaker was confused but he'll get used to her insanity. I think most of that insanity comes from her mini pin half.

Hyzzie and Beaker by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

I'm worried his leg may actually have been/is broken. He does use it some but the lump above the wrist sure makes be think a break. They never had it looked at. Hopefully I'm wrong and some anti-inflammatory will help but if not it could be reset and get him neutered at the same time.

Keep it down I was sleeping by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Edit: Just heard he was actually born in April so he's only 9 months old.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:12 am

Haha, love the pic of him seeing anteaters for the first time, lol. He looks lke he's just in shock.

That's so cute he tried to hop in someone else's car. He sounds like such a sweetie.

I didn't know there were "deer-type" and "apple-type" chihuahuas. That's really interesting. Looking at pictures, I like the deer-type best too.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Beaker is broken by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

So his old owner just gave him some baby aspirin and let him gimp around with a broken leg till it started to heal. It's now been reset and he can't go for walks for now.

Poor guy was trying to jump up out of the cast so had his harness on to walk up an down the hall and help him pee and he's doing better now.

He's been given a pain pill to help him settle in. No baby aspirin he's got the good stuff, tramadol.

I could go on and on. Like instead of vaccinating ther puppies they were waiting for them to get parvo to gain immunity, should they survive it. She kicked him out of bed for having fleas instead of helping him get rid of them.

Then she calls at 12:30AM last night asking for him back. hell no. Besides I just spent more on him than she says she bought him for.

They said they found a home for the female so hope it's a good one.

PS ignore the floor it's clean it just needs repainted or tiled or something

He was so great at the vet. Even gave the tech kisses as she was taking his temp. "Well, if you're going to stick that in my rear, I'll give you kisses!" He's so silly.

On the clumsy thing he regularly pees on his front foot when hiking his leg. Though with the cast now he hasn't been able to hike his leg yet.

Before he got his cast
Sleepy Beaker by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Elina

Postby Elina » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Oh gosh poor baby.
After the 1st photo on FB I did not want to hound you asking things as you had so many comments but I am going to now haha. . . Okay I'm not. I was going to ask why he looked different then other Chi's, I have never seen ones other then the domed apple headed ones and I think he is adorable!
I was thinking maybe he was less well house trained with him being a male and in a new house with odd animal smells so he may be trying to mark over the smell of Pua & Co. Male dogs normally pee in new houses anyhow, some even when they come home from kennels. I hope it sorts itself out.
I am so glad he found you! That leg is shocking, how could anyone leave an animal like that?! And he is still sweet and loving?! Gosh imagine how soppy he may become with no pain! I bet she was offered money for him and that is why she wanted him back, to sell him again. Glad you did not give in.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Yeah it was left long enough it had started to heal some but crooked.

When she called she claimed she'd been crying all night and missed him but she didn't sound like it. It was really weird. She claimed the real reason she had given him up was because she wanted a pet sitter so he'd not be home all day with a big dog. The big dog puppy was her boyfriends and he's just joined the army so going away and I guess leaving her with this bran new puppy. So she wanted Beaker back and she'd pay me to pet sit him instead and she'd just take one class. Not thinking clearly or lying badly. She sure didn't care about their health though even if she was really missing him.

Actually he's been great in the house training dept so I probably wont neuter him as I think it's healthier not to. She just told me he still had problems and I assumed it was true. The only marking he has done inside was a couple times he marked the sleeve of my dad's coat hanging on a kitchen chair. The first time I just told him off the next time he got crated for a bit(both times caught in the act). He really thinks that's torture since he's not with me. Other than that he always goes outside or on the pad. He prefers outside though so I have to take him first thing when I get up. The cast may even solve the coat thing since he can't hike his leg, it could break the habit. Ideally not leaving the coat there would fix it too but old men don't easily change their ways.

He weighed less at the vet(I only weighed him on the bathroom scale not the baby scale, heck he's small enough I could have weighed him on the postal scale, ha). He weighed 7.8 pounds though he was put on the big dog scale.
Elina

Postby Elina » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 am

Oh that is great that his house training is okay. Hope your Dad was okay with the whole coat thing haha.

Gosh he really is smaller then Hyzzie! I thought he was just a tiny bit but H looks like she weighs a fair bit more (I'm not calling her fat, just for if she reads this :lol: ).

I am so glad he is so bonded to you already, seems allot like Diamond in that respect.

How is he eating? Dilly is the worlds most fussy eater! If he is eating well do you have any tips?
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:57 am

Poor little guy! I'm so glad that you have him now, TG. I can't believe that about the broken leg, that's awful. That's great that you've gotten it all fixed and its healing properly now.

I love that picture with him sleeping next to the computer. He's so precious. Makes me want a chihuahua now, lol. He's very cute.

I know you posted that pic of him meeting the anteaters (that's my favorite picture of him; he just looks so astounded, lol), but what does he think of them? What do Pua and Aurora think of him?

Ha, good luck to the owners trying to get him back!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 am

he is so adorable. I too love the picture of him seeing your anteater for the first time.
it's almost like he is saying "WOW, what kind of dog is this" :lol:

really sad about how the previous owner took care of him :-x
she don't deserve to own any animals. then to boot, have the nerve to ask for him back. :roll:

down right sickening how she never took care of his broken leg, fleas and parvo :twisted:
sounds like abuse to me.

he will adjust to his cast. when my first fox broke her leg rough housing with 5 dogs, she broke her leg.
she had a cast like Beaker's . she adjusted pretty good, but, when the cast came off,
she had a hard time getting use to walking without a cast, took her awhile.

I am so glad you got Beaker, I know he will have a good home, he is gorgeous.
such a unique little guy, he definitely looks happy and now knows where is true home is.

I love the pictures, he looks like he is full of personality.
he was meant to be with you.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 pm

Thank you.

He's eating great. He wont touch any dogs treats though. Only dog made thing he likes is the bully stick. He loves the beef and chicken but like Hyzzie and Quasi before him he likes it at least partly cooked first. He east more kibble if I pour some meat juices on it. His pills go right down with a little cheese wiz but there only as needed so maybe he wont need them tonight.

He watches the anteaters with fascination. The first night when Pua came down to the lowest point on her furniture highway Beaker did run over and stood up to see her but Pua had kept moving. So I took him and held him up to see. Pua came and sniffed then recoiled and went off up her tower in a hurry but she wont care once his smell in no longer strange to her. Beaker squirmed to get away too. Now he always just watches from a distance or if they are too noisy will hide under the covers but he likes under the covers anyway.

Last night he watched them till I turned the lights out then he turned in with me but later I saw him looking up to where the feeding shelf is and knew Pua was hanging out waving her arms to beg for her treat. That was new to him.

Yeah Hyzzie is fat though she also naturally much larger than him. I get a bit of weight off her but it keeps coming back. I'm going to start weighing their meals but I tried that the other night and they got cranky with each other till I gave them more so I'll wait till they are settled more to start rationing better.

He and Hyzzie are doing good though. Hyzzie tried the barking and play bowing thing again when I was getting them ready for the second walk of the day. He didn't understand though and started whining. He didn't go on the first walk but he was so miserable I tried him out and he stayed off the cast so it's okay to take him. She didn't want him trying to walk on the cast leg.

Oh last night I was playing rough with Hyzzie to let her blow off some steam(when I had tried the rationing). He came running up to protect me though he did it while hiding between my legs, ha. He curled his lips then he tried to growl but his growl sounds like a rattly whine. Poor guy, no one will ever take him seriously when his growl sounds like he's crying for mommy.

They don't mind laying near each other now.

He and Jake have tried to play but they don't quite get the species differences in manner of play.

Hyzzie moved by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

It's been a long day by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

He glued himself to me and fell asleep on my cheek when we got back from taking a walk without him(he whined the whole time we were gone) and was depressed the rest of the day till he got a short walk.
Love by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”