PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Emo

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Emo

Postby Juska » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Figured I'd start a thread just for talking about Emo, my Border Collie/Golden Retriever mix.

Last night I got her an early Christmas present - a doggie backpack! We tried it on today and she seems to be taking to it very well.

I shot and uploaded a video of us out in the back yard with her wearing it today. She only wore it for about five minutes, then we went inside and she got lots of praise for being good with it.

Emo's New Backpack
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Emo

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Cute! It looks to me like she likes it. She doesn't seem bothered at all by it being on. Are you planning on hiking with her? (and have her carry her own little pack?)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:07 pm

Yeah, this summer we went to the park a couple of times and she really liked it. I would like to take her actual hiking next summer, and if she could carry some water/waste bags/other items it would be easier on me than having a backpack sliding around and throwing me off balance. She's got four legs and I have two, climbing is easier for her with a backpack than a person, haha.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Emo and I went outside and played in the [foot deep] snow yesterday, and my mother took pictures from the porch. Most of these were taken as I called her to me, and she had to run through unplowed snow to get to me, causing the bunny-hop effect, haha.

One of the things I love the most about her is that her tail is absolutely indicative of her emotions. In every photo, her tail tells how she's feeling: from excited, to cautious, to carefree. I don't keep her sharply groomed other than basic maintenance, because she doesn't really require it, but I do keep her tail trimmed in a flag shape.

In these photos it's trimmed shorter than usual because of the ice and snow, but I think she has the most magnificent tail I've ever seen on a dog. I love her tail <3
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:03 am

Beautiful pictures! Emo is such a gorgeous dog. You're a great photographer to capture those images. You got a lot of snow, and it's funny how deep it is compared to her. Very cute! I really like black or dark-colored dogs.

Oh, and I'm loving the batman pants. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:03 am

Those are my Batman jammy pants, I wear them 24/7 unless I have to go out in public XD

You can thank my mom for the photos, she took them. I haven't been so handy with a camera lately.

I love all colors and shapes of dogs, but I do have a special place in my heart for black and white mutts <3
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 pm

I think only a few of you might know this, but my job is taking care of an 85-year-old man in his home (I go there at 8 AM and stay until 8 AM the next day, he is a dementia patient and in a wheelchair, and requires 24/7 supervision and assistance). I work one day a week, usually Saturday or Sunday.

I took Emo with me this past Sunday, to see how she would react in a new environment/around wheelchairs and walkers/taking long rides in the car/being able to stay the night somewhere without being up and stressed out all night. I was pretty confident that she could handle it.

Needless to say, she had a good time, and it really helped me out, too. Usually when I'm there I have panic attacks as many things can go wrong or be very stressful. Having Emo there helped me calm down, and I was actually able to sleep until my alarm woke me up the next morning. She slept in bed with me all night and didn't wake up once! We even had a visitor (one of his neighbors came over to see how he was doing), and she immediately loved him because he has three Labs at home, and she could smell them on his work boots.

The property has a huge wooded area behind it, and we went on a lot of walks back in the woods. Emo really got a kick out of that. The man I take care of liked her being there (he called her "Poochie" because he doesn't remember names that well), and he even fed her some of his dessert brownies from the table, haha. I think she helped him stay calm as well (stress and other factors can trigger his Dementia, and dealing with that is pretty hard sometimes).

I really wish the government/health care providers would recognize companion animals that help quell things like depression/anxiety/IBS/panic attacks as service animals, and give them the same rights as seeing eye and other service animals. I think being able to take Emo with me to certain places would make my life a lot easier. I don't know how many times I've been late or almost late, or even completely unable to show up to an important meeting or other appointment because my heart and/or stomach started acting up out of anxiety, no matter how little of it there really was.

Anyway, I just wanted to post here to show you how she did with it, and some new pictures of her. I couldn't get many because she was so excited to run around and play outside in the 50 degree weather!
Talys

Postby Talys » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:28 pm

My level of respect for you just rose exponentially. I'm glad your charge could experience that sense of calm that only companion animals can bring. I understand a little bit with the anxiety (more depression and stomach issues related to stress). Volunteering at shelters has helped relieve it a lot. I've also been meaning to tell you that Emo is a gorgeous dog! Her coat reminds me of the Mudi in Eastern Europe. Anyways, I hope you get the chance again to bring her with you!
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Actually they do recognize animals like that IF they are trained to help mitigate the issue. Like the dog is trained to recognize when you are getting anxious and moves to stand between you and others to give you some space, or move you away from people and to a seat, or just give you an alert so you can know it's coming and move yourself. I have know people with dogs that did all that to help with anxiety/ptsd and things like that. But yeah one you just pet doesn't. Even if say you were getting anxious and she moved between you and others on command that would count. Of course you need a DR diagnosis to go with it but even a self trained dog counts, it just has to be trained to help with your specific problem.

PS the housing officials do recognize the pet to calm down only type but that only lets you move into no pet housing with the therapy pet that you need to keep you calm, then you just need a diagnosis but no special training needed.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:18 pm

I didn't realize that's where you were working. :) That's very awesome, actually, that you are taking care of someone with disabilities. They can be so lonely sometimes, and I'm sure your company is great. And I'm sure Emo was a great stress-reliever. Animals really do have something about them that helps calm us humans down--I have no idea why, but I think humans (generally) just relax when they're comfortable around an animal they know well. Lots of times it helps more than people's company.
snoball

Postby snoball » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:31 pm

i've only told a few of the mods of this board that i'm deaf -- i was born with deformed ear canals that mean that no matter what i'll never be able to hear like a "normal" person is --- it's something that i just got used to.

on the point about being lonely unless i'm with someone that is BSL trained i can't communicate with them properly --- like my doc says "you live in your own little world" and that's true i can't hear things so i tend to shut everything and everyone out cos they can't talk to me and me them properly.

means that everything is really quiet - jake helps me a lot (every dog that i've ever had has done the same) and he's recognised as my assistance dog by the local authorities --- not that i need it but hell it's nice that they've recognised what your dog does for you and the elderly gentleman too :mrgreen:

i can hear the things that i want to say i my head perfectly clearly but when i try to talk from what i've been told it'slike i'm mumbling and no one can make sense of it.

my dogs are trained to accept hand signals palms, finger clicks, leg taps that sort of stuff as well as whistles cos they're easy to blow you just gotta know how blasts to give it s'all :mrgreen:

glad that your work is so rewarding for you and i'm glad that your dog has been accepted in the way that you describe :mrgreen:

donna
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:52 pm

Talys wrote:My level of respect for you just rose exponentially. I'm glad your charge could experience that sense of calm that only companion animals can bring. I understand a little bit with the anxiety (more depression and stomach issues related to stress). Volunteering at shelters has helped relieve it a lot. I've also been meaning to tell you that Emo is a gorgeous dog! Her coat reminds me of the Mudi in Eastern Europe. Anyways, I hope you get the chance again to bring her with you!

Thank you, that means a lot to me :)

Emo is just your average run-of-the-mill mutt, but she is one of the most gorgeous dogs I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot!). I'm sure she appreciates the comment ;) She loves being told how pretty she is.

TamanduaGirl wrote:Actually they do recognize animals like that IF they are trained to help mitigate the issue. Like the dog is trained to recognize when you are getting anxious and moves to stand between you and others to give you some space, or move you away from people and to a seat, or just give you an alert so you can know it's coming and move yourself. I have know people with dogs that did all that to help with anxiety/ptsd and things like that. But yeah one you just pet doesn't. Even if say you were getting anxious and she moved between you and others on command that would count. Of course you need a DR diagnosis to go with it but even a self trained dog counts, it just has to be trained to help with your specific problem.

PS the housing officials do recognize the pet to calm down only type but that only lets you move into no pet housing with the therapy pet that you need to keep you calm, then you just need a diagnosis but no special training needed.

I've done quite a bit of research on the subject in PA law standards, and yeah I pretty much just could tell people she's trained to remind me to take my medication or alert me to panic attack triggers. She knows when I'm not feeling right, but obviously that doesn't make her a service dog, haha.

In PA (I don't know about other states), the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) takes precedence over any state and local laws about admitting service animals into public places like stores and other places. People that own/work at those places aren't allowed to ask you for "proof" that your animal is a service animal because according to the ADA that's personal, sensitive information that doesn't have to be shared (I know that I sure don't like having to explain why I have IBS or how it affects me). They can only ask if the animal is, in fact, a service animal.

I was thinking of training her to actually respond and help when something does happen. I have a long-documented history of anxiety/depression/IBS with my family doctor, and I think she would be comfortable with approving that having Emo (or another trained dog) with me could help/prevent panic and IBS attacks.

I know that if I took her to a CGC/TDI certification tomorrow, she would pass it. The only reason she isn't a therapy dog is because every person in this state that can certify a dog wants to charge $250 or more for you to pass two basic obedience classes, taught by them of course, (which take months to complete) before they'll give you the test. I kind of have a problem with that because the test takes less than 30 minutes, and it shouldn't matter if you did or didn't pay almost $300 to train the dog. I'd rather just pay a more reasonable fee for the certifier's time.

The thing I'd have to work with is "proving" that my depression/anxiety/IBS actually "counts" as a disability - which some people would say it isn't. By the standard definition, a disability is something that prevents a person from functioning and performing normal, everyday tasks and living a "normal" life. And I'm sure anyone here that has gone through depression or suffered from extreme anxiety, whether it's caused by a situation/turn in life or takes place in the brain (as mine does)...it hinders your life immensely.

My problems will most likely never fully go away, and I have to make the most of life while dealing with it. And I know that having Emo and my other pets, one a certified therapy dog that I trained, has made my life much more fulfilling and joyful.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:14 pm

Yeah the ADA takes precedence in any state if a state or local does pass a law going against it like saying you need to register the dog or something then it's not a legal law. They are allowed to ask if it's a service animal and what it is trained to do but that's it.

That sucks about not being able to get CGC. I actualy got Quasi his CGC through Pet's Mart. The test was after training but it wasn't that long or expensive but that was in CA and a long time ago.
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:04 am

I had Max trained and tested when I was in 4-H, specifically for training therapy dogs. Because it was 4-H my parents didn't pay anything, but it goes to show that times have changed. The person who instructed us still does CGC and therapy certs, one of few in my state; I wonder if I contact her she would remember me and possibly give me a discount on a class or even just let me take the test, because she knows I know how to train.
Talys

Postby Talys » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:00 pm

Juska wrote: Thank you, that means a lot to me :)

Emo is just your average run-of-the-mill mutt, but she is one of the most gorgeous dogs I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot!). I'm sure she appreciates the comment ;) She loves being told how pretty she is.

I'd be more than happy to tell her as often as she likes! :lol:

Juska wrote: I was thinking of training her to actually respond and help when something does happen. I have a long-documented history of anxiety/depression/IBS with my family doctor, and I think she would be comfortable with approving that having Emo (or another trained dog) with me could help/prevent panic and IBS attacks...The thing I'd have to work with is "proving" that my depression/anxiety/IBS actually "counts" as a disability - which some people would say it isn't. By the standard definition, a disability is something that prevents a person from functioning and performing normal, everyday tasks and living a "normal" life. And I'm sure anyone here that has gone through depression or suffered from extreme anxiety, whether it's caused by a situation/turn in life or takes place in the brain (as mine does)...it hinders your life immensely...My problems will most likely never fully go away, and I have to make the most of life while dealing with it. And I know that having Emo and my other pets, one a certified therapy dog that I trained, has made my life much more fulfilling and joyful.

You can have an trained animal approved to aid in depression and IBS? How did I not hear about this? There was a certification site I visited a few months back that provided the certification and licensing for companion animals in therapy work. I wonder if that would be in accordance with PA's laws or wouldn't be enough.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”