PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

A breed that suits me.

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

SiberianVulpes

A breed that suits me.

Postby SiberianVulpes » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:51 pm

I'm not not finding much luck on various Dog quiz sites (They're not specific, but they give you an idea), and I want to know if there is a breed that will fit these traits.

* Intelligent

* Doesn't require more than one walk a day.

* Not a flat-nosed breed (Shih-Tsu, Pug, Maltese, etc)

....It just seems that most of the intelligent breeds are high energy. icon_confused.gif

I have looked into the Alaskan Noble Companion Dog.

BTW, I own a Corgi (One of the best breeds of all time). He's almost the perfect dog breed.
Elina

Re: A breed that suits me.

Postby Elina » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Papillon.
Seriously they can be walked as much or as little as you have time for so long as you have time to cuddle they are happy. (Throwing a little kong tennis ball around is also a great way for them to get worn out).
They pick up tricks AMAZINGLY fast but they are not just "parrots" they are actually really smart.

Klee Kai are smart but they are much harder to train because they are really independent and they are VERY high energy so really need a lot of exercise so I would not advise one of those. I only mentioned them as I have two ;-).
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:17 am

Papillons are rated very highly on intelligence.

If you are looking larger, that's harder to find both in one, maybe greyhound. They are actually really low energy for a largish dog. They are sprinters not marathoners or hard workers. A nice walk once a day would be just about right for them. They are listed as average intelligence so not stupid.

I love my chihuahuas and they are very smart dogs but they are also not low energy and love to go for runs and walks. People don't realize this and that's part of why you see so many problem chihuahuas. They are actually awesomely loyal and smart dogs but need a lot of socialization, training and stimulation.
Gryffindor

Postby Gryffindor » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:45 am

I have 2 maltese and they're not a brachy breed - they have a medium sized muzzle. Maltese with long hair around the muzzle might give the appearance of a short muzzle, like that of a shih tzu, but they're not really. So don't let that stop you from getting a maltese if that's what is holding you back. :)

How much exercise can you provide a day? Physical exercise can be just as important as mental exercise, so games like flirt pole, frisbee, fetch, training tricks, agility, etc can be good for giving the dog both physical and mental exercise, especially if you can only give one walk a day.

I'll second what TamanduaGirl said about greyhounds, they're good low energy dogs. Italian greyhounds are the same way if you're looking for a small dog.
snoball

Postby snoball » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:51 pm

try looking at a whippet - bit smaller than a greyhound plenty smart and don't really require much looking after at all :)
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:59 am

Now, I come from quite a different "dog culture" than the one in the US, but what does "one walk per day" really mean?
I walk my dogs 3-5 times a day, one or two being "real" walks of 20-60+ minutes, and I would be considered a "lazy" dog owner over here. icon-smile (Though I have to say, many over here take things way too seriously and overstimulate their dogs instead.)

Some dogs could do fine with one real walk of perhaps an hour a day, and then only very short rounds to do their business. Is that what you mean? Since I don't think any dog can be happy just being let out of the house/yard once a day.

And what do you mean with "intelligent"? In my mind, an intelligent animal...
* Gets bored more easily
* Figures things out more easily (things you don't necessarily want, such as opening doors and fridges)
* Learns to manipulate humans more easily

...so I don't know about you, but I don't necessarily see intelligence as a virtue in a pet. :icon-wink: Only makes them much trickier to handle. And on the other hand - EVERYONE thinks THEIR animal, their breed, is the bestest and most intelligent in the world. I hear people say that about their dog/cat/whatever breed, that "this breed is so very intelligent and has such extremely strong personalities", as if it was unique to that breed.
(You never hear anyone say "this dog breed is a bit stupid", at least not if they own it. :icon-wink:)

And yes, intelligent breeds often = lots of energy. Think border collie, the epitome of intelligence (or so they say) and energy in the dog world. They were created for working sheep for days on end on the british countryside. Up and down the hills, run here, run there, know dozens of commands, mental and physical exercise all day long. No wonder they don't do well as pure companion dogs.

The ANCD is definitely a working dog, and a wolfdog at that. The only breeder there is doesn't seem to want to sell to people who won't use the dog in sports, either (so I've been told by a puppy-buyer).

Most dogs that are good companion dogs and don't need too much mental or physical exercise are either small - under 15 kg - or really, really large, the big lumbering ones of 60+ kg. Most breeds in between are working breeds.

Edit: I agree with the others, and it's true, maltese don't have a short nose like the shih-tzu. They are also extremely healthy, they have hardly any breed-specific diseases at all and can easily live to reach 15-16, even more.

Shih-tzu profile:
Not shaved at all, but you can tell how long their muzzle is:

I also agree on the whippet. I had one myself, and with them being sighthounds, they are very lazy and are easy to keep happy as long as they get to run free every day. (A few times a week might be okay, but a whippet that never gets to really run free and be a sighthound will never be a happy dog.)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
snoball

Postby snoball » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:23 am

my border collie jake gets 6hours - 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening when he's not working.

when he's working he can be "on the go" for 12hours or more depending on what we're doing that day.

a good walk should be 1/2 hours duration minimum --- my philosophy is that if i'm on the go for a good 12 hours then why can't my dog pull the same hours. I'm fortunate in that i work for myself, more often than not just with jake especially at this time of year.

the dogs that i bought from the auction in wrexham north wales in january are almost ready to start full time training so i get to be plenty busy from now on lol :)

donna
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:56 am

Snoball, you should make a post specifically for your dogs. I love hearing about people and their training, especially with the working breeds. I don't know much about collies, so I'd like to hear more about them. ;)

Heehee, actually we had a shih-tzu, and whenever anybody asked about it, I would pretty much tell them your exact words: "this breed is a bit stupid," lol. They're fun, and I would recommend them, but you said you don't like the flat-nosed ones. They do have a share of health problems too, but if you go with a reputable breeder you could avoid those.

Why not go with another corgi? Or are you wanting to expand your experience? My friend always had corgis when she was younger, and they were pretty sweet, goofy little dogs.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
snoball

Postby snoball » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:12 am

advice noted ash gotta take some more upto date pics cosi rarely if ever take a camera to work with me.

so just for you i'll start one :

donna
nawazjani

Postby nawazjani » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:50 am

Guyz suggest me small dog breed which is child friendly i have kids i need child friendly dog
nawazjani

Postby nawazjani » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:52 am

Nìmwey wrote:Now, I come from quite a different "dog culture" than the one in the US, but what does "one walk per day" really mean?
I walk my dogs 3-5 times a day, one or two being "real" walks of 20-60+ minutes, and I would be considered a "lazy" dog owner over here. icon-smile (Though I have to say, many over here take things way too seriously and overstimulate their dogs instead.)
Some dogs could do fine with one real walk of perhaps an hour a day, and then only very short rounds to do their business. Is that what you mean? Since I don't think any dog can be happy just being let out of the house/yard once a day.

And what do you mean with "intelligent"? In my mind, an intelligent animal...
* Gets bored more easily
* Figures things out more easily (things you don't necessarily want, such as opening doors and fridges)
* Learns to manipulate humans more easily

...so I don't know about you, but I don't necessarily see intelligence as a virtue in a pet. :icon-wink: Only makes them much trickier to handle. And on the other hand - EVERYONE thinks THEIR animal, their breed, is the bestest and most intelligent in the world. I hear people say that about their dog/cat/whatever breed, that "this breed is so very intelligent and has such extremely strong personalities", as if it was unique to that breed.
(You never hear anyone say "this dog breed is a bit stupid", at least not if they own it. :icon-wink:)

And yes, intelligent breeds often = lots of energy. Think border collie, the epitome of intelligence (or so they say) and energy in the dog world. They were created for working sheep for days on end on the british countryside. Up and down the hills, run here, run there, know dozens of commands, mental and physical exercise all day long. No wonder they don't do well as pure companion dogs.

The ANCD is definitely a working dog, and a wolfdog at that. The only breeder there is doesn't seem to want to sell to people who won't use the dog in sports, either (so I've been told by a puppy-buyer).

Most dogs that are good companion dogs and don't need too much mental or physical exercise are either small - under 15 kg - or really, really large, the big lumbering ones of 60+ kg. Most breeds in between are working breeds.

Edit: I agree with the others, and it's true, maltese don't have a short nose like the shih-tzu. They are also extremely healthy, they have hardly any breed-specific diseases at all and can easily live to reach 15-16, even more.

Shih-tzu profile:
Not shaved at all, but you can tell how long their muzzle is:

I also agree on the whippet. I had one myself, and with them being sighthounds, they are very lazy and are easy to keep happy as long as they get to run free every day. (A few times a week might be okay, but a whippet that never gets to really run free and be a sighthound will never be a happy dog.)

informative one
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:22 pm

I can't recommend any dog breed with the requirement that it " doesn't require more than one walk a day", because while different breeds may have different exercise requirements, every single dog is different.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by no more than one walk a day, because unless you have a fenced in back yard and a dog door, they're gonna need you to take them outside to go to the bathroom, at the very least. More than once a day, of course.

If you're talking about exercise, there are other ways than walking to do that if you really don't have the time/energy/space. If you have a decent sized home or apartment you can play indoors (granted your neighbors in an apartment wouldn't mind the noise from rough-housing or playing).

Unless you have time to dedicate a good amount of exercise time to a dog or at least have a good amount of space for them to play inside/outside by themselves, you should probably pass on getting one for now. Dogs need exercise and space to play. They can't just stay inside all day with nothing to do.

There is no such thing as a low-maintenance dog.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:38 pm

If it's a small breed, you wouldn't have to walk it often. As long as you play with them everyday, they get a lot of exercise that way. But walking is always an enriching thing, and all dogs love it. Our shih-tzu got walked whenever we felt like walking him--which wasn't every day. BUT he was always played with in the mornings and at night--and throughout the day in smaller doses. Most of the time he just wanted to be next to someone, so he spent the whole day following us around the house, lol. Pretty much walked a few miles just doing that.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:26 pm

you're just wanting to be "lazy" dog owner ;)

my friend Jess got Winters Dream from me and just sits in her living room with the french doors open throwing a ball down the garden while watching tv !!!!!

now that's lazy ;)

donna
no point blaming the dog cos you tukd up ;)

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”