PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Favorite Breeds

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Talys

Favorite Breeds

Postby Talys » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 pm

So I know we had a favorite breed thread going a while back that was exceptionally fascinating. I loved seeing everyone's favorites and learning new things. I figured that it wouldn't be a bad idea to start a new one with breeds in general, anything and everything.

I'll start off with my two. I previously was very interested in Shibas, Siberian Huskies, and Miniature American Shepherds, for various reasons. However, being a manager at a bookstore, I got my hands on every dog breed book we keep in stock. During one of my slower days, I pawed through and stubbled upon two very beautiful, quite similar dogs of the spitz type.

The first one is the Icelandic Sheepdog.
http://www.icelanddogs.com/Temperament.html

Just google them. Gorgeous, amazing dog.

The second one is the Norrbottenspets (formerly known as the Nordic Spitz).
http://www.swedishdog.net/about/norrbottenspets/

Very rare breed, but boy am I glad I came across them.

-A interesting note common to both breeds is that both dogs, when annoyed with a kid, say, will get up and walk away rather than nip or something of that ilk. I do love Eskies as well; I had the opportunity to house sit one, and we bonded incredibly.

So I'd love to see what everyone else's favorite breeds are! And as always, FEEL FREE TO POST PICTURES.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
Jen Jen

Re: Favorite Breeds

Postby Jen Jen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:44 pm

I love the look of the Norrbottenspets! :)

A dog I have ALWAYS wanted has been a Pharaoh Hound. I seriously think my next dog might be one, maybe. Not sure if I'm going to get a dog after Grimm passes or not.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/pharaohhound.htm

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:29 pm

Oooh, those Norrbottenspets are beautiful! They look very "foxy," actually. I've never heard of them before, but they are gorgeous...

I've always loved pharaoh hounds too. I think they look so regal.

The Doberman, German Shepherd, and Shih-tzu are two of my favs. I don't think I'd ever own a doberman even though there was a point where I really wanted to.

Of course, I always like the pariah dog types. Singers (not pariah, but similar), jindos, carolinas, canaan. I like those ones.

Oh, and lundehunds--just because they're so unique.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:48 pm

I like the lundehunds too but their health issues scare me but maybe some day. They are cool in many ways.

I want a Basenji so obviously they are a favorite.

Chihuahua's they are awesome little guys.

Fox terriers, french bulldogs, schnauzers, mini pins, Alaskan Klee Kai, Chins

Larger breeds: Irish wolf hound but their lives are too short but I love them. Azawakh. Boxers, Scottish deer hound, coon hound, all mastiffs

Would like an Anatolian Shepard eventually.

Azawakh (they are like cheetahs in dog body).
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:04 am

Here's all the ones I could think of, [kind of] in order of probability that I might one day own one.

Akita: These dogs are the holy grail of breeds for me. Ever since my first dog Max passed away, I've wanted another large dog, and the Akita is that large dog.

Akita, Brindle/Tora-ge Variety: Tora-ge is the name for brindle markings on Japanese breeds. I find "brindle" Akitas to be very fascinating.

Border Retriver, which is Emo's breed: Border Collie/Golden Retriever mix.
The one with the green frisbee in the photos is her as a puppy, the others are dogs I found photos of when I searched "Border Retriever" on Google Image.
They may as well just start calling this a breed:

American Eskimo Dog: I met a very special Eskie puppy a couple of years ago, and ever since then I've been in love with this breed.

Pembroke Welsh Corgi: Who doesn't love Corgi puppies and their nubby legs? Again, I fell in love with this breed when I babysat one, a little tricolor Pembroke. She was the sweetest thing.

Bull Terrier: Dogs with odd-shaped heads draw me in, and the Bull Terrier is no exception. I also have a thing for black and white dogs.

Dalmatian: I love this breed's coat variations, and their rarity is intriguing.

Norwegian Elkhound: My "rare northern spitz" breed.

English Springer Spaniel: Springer Spaniel puppies have some of the most adorable faces in the dog world, on top of their rich coats and the possibility of them being born with striking green eyes.

Borzoi: I've loved this breed since I was little. Again with the funny-shaped heads.

Cane Corso/Italian Mastiff: I have to say, I like this breed with cropped ears. I've met a few of these dogs, and their fearful looks do not match what's inside.

Tosa Inu/Japanese Mastiff: Their history as fighting dogs still continues today, but the ones that are not used for ring-fighting are still as regal and majestic as their ancestors. The ceremonial garb they wear is also very interesting.

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:01 am

Oh, I forgot about xolos. :) I love all those hairless breeds! And chinese cresteds too!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:09 am

Ash wrote:Oh, I forgot about xolos. :) I love all those hairless breeds! And chinese cresteds too!

Oh darn me to. There was one listed available at a rescue the day we were to move here. Had the timing not been so terrible I would have got him. They listed him as a Chinese crested(also a love that I forgot, Quasi was half crested) but it was super obvious to anyone in the know what he actually was. I still think of him sometimes. So rare to see one in rescue.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:55 am

I'm gonna have to start off with my "own" breed, the Ca de Bou. Though I probably won't own another one, because of health issues and "certain people" in the breed. (In numerically smaller breeds, certain individuals who have the breed have much more say and there will be more "in-the-breed-fighting".)

They are a bulldog (can also be called a mastiff) that have been used since the 1700s for guarding ships and ports, and for bull baiting and unfortunately, fighting other animals like dogs.

This is my dog's mother's cousin. My dog Wikus looks similar, but with white markings.

If I am to get a dog of the same type in the future, it would probably be the Alano. Similar and closely related to the Ca de Bou, but slightly taller, less dog-aggressive (Wikus LOVES other dogs, but it's a common trait of the breed to be very same sex-aggressive) since they've never been used for dog fighting.

These breeds are both similar to the Cane Corso and Presa Canario, but smaller and lighter, and the Ca de Bou is the smallest. It is also the only one never cropped.

When I have land I wants this one: :3 (Intentional bad grammar.)

Sredneasiatskaia ovtcharka, or Central Asian shepherd. Less human-aggressive and more tolerant of warm weather (and to me, more attractive) than their Caucasian relative.

Polar bear dog! :mrgreen:

Then I love wolfdogs, but they don't qualify as a breed of course. Considered getting a Tamaskan but thought nah, too much of the wolfy behavior (that they get both from wolves and sled dogs, like carsickness, inability to be left alone, destructiveness, huge exercise needs, prey drive, etcetera.) with too little of the wolfy looks in my mind. icon-smile

Before I got Wikus, I was really, really into the American Akita. But with the guard instinct (which I wanted), dog aggression AND prey drive on top of that (many owners say they can never have their Akita loose), I didn't feel confident I could handle it.

I also have a thing for the Fila Brasileiro.

Maybe one day when I live out in nowhere, like with the ovtcharka. :icon-wink:

I'm also a fan of the Peruvian and Mexican hairless, and considered them in the past, but I'll probably never have one.

BTW, why are the pictures so big now? Before, they resized automatically.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:29 am

Nimwey, if the photos look too big for the thread window, try holding down CTRL and scrolling the mouse wheel one click forward or backward to resize the page; sometimes that will fix the size of the photos on the page as well.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Talys

Postby Talys » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:53 am

Juska, I can't get over that picture of Emo when she was younger. What a stunning girl! Wow! I'm also struck by how, even for a mix, they have such a uniform appearance - as you said, they could be a breed.

Nimwey, I forgot about the Central Asian Ovcharka! Two of my closest friends desperately want to have that dog. I didn't know they had a slightly softer personality than their counterparts.

After reading Ash's post, I remembered that I really think Shibas (actually that breed family in general) and Singing Dogs look a lot alike.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:35 pm

The resizing script hasn't been working properly lately. Pat hasn't had time to figure it out. For now just try not to post huge photos ;)

A friend of mine has the Peruvian Hairless though a long distance friend. They are pretty neat.

What is this one?
It didn't seem like you said what it or the one above it was.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:45 pm

TamanduaGirl - It is, it's a Central Asian shepherd. They vary in color and build a bit.

Juska - Thanks, but I meant that before, all large pictures tended to make themselves smaller, and then you could click them to make them bigger. Now they are all big right away.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Talys wrote:Juska, I can't get over that picture of Emo when she was younger. What a stunning girl! Wow! I'm also struck by how, even for a mix, they have such a uniform appearance - as you said, they could be a breed.

I wonder how one goes about "patenting" a breed...hmm...:lol:
Talys

Postby Talys » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Juska wrote:
Talys wrote:Juska, I can't get over that picture of Emo when she was younger. What a stunning girl! Wow! I'm also struck by how, even for a mix, they have such a uniform appearance - as you said, they could be a breed.

I wonder how one goes about "patenting" a breed...hmm...:lol:

Well, when you become a foundation breeder, I call dibs on your pups.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm

First Choice Border Collie. Prefer a classic black and white as pictured but am ok with any so long as not smooth coated or prick eared. Nothing against prick ears except don't like them on a BC. Unless maybe I was working cattle.

Second choice and beyond don't have a list. Prefer no small breeds if I have a choice.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”