the puppy challenge :)

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

autumn blitz

the puppy challenge :)

Postby autumn blitz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:56 am

so in just under 3 weeks i get my new puppy "Autumnal Flurry".

i've had an offer from Mr Long of ben long falconry that will allow both blaenau jake and autumnal flurry to go with me to his falconry centre whilst i get qualified :mrgreen:

the challenge and it is one that i've accepted is to take 8 week old "flurry" and make her the best she can be by the end of january !!!!! it's a tough ask but i feel that it's one that she will relish as much as "jake" will icon-smile

so there's going to be lots of hard graft, lots of tempers getting frayed (i got a really short fuse) and lots of mileage being covered icon-smile she has to be fully obedient, fully understanding of the wider picture and she has to be able to do everything as and when told -- just like jakeyboy does only he's had 5years with me already so he's got a major headstart in this :icon-wink: -- and just do what is expected of her.

the trials and tribulations of all the hard graft and messy times to come will be published in this thread daily so everyone can see how it's going icon-smile - or not going :icon-frown: !!!!!

i think that i'm blessed to a certain extent cos i've got jake who will prolly offer support and guidance in his usual casual calm, laidback manner (he does a lot of "cheerleading" and cos he's just so chilled out i can forgive him for it icon-smile )

so watch this space for what happens next LoL icon-smile

donna

i've already got all the gear that's needed - just gotta wait another 20days for the dog :icon-frown: (i have a calendar on the wall to count the days down :icon-wink: )
no point blaming the dog cos you tukd up ;)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: the puppy challenge :)

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:56 pm

That's cool. I'm excited for you to get her. I'm sure I'd be keeping a calendar too, lol, to keep track of the days. I did that when I was waiting for Ifrit, heehee.

Be sure to update us on her progress. Hopefully Jake'll be able to be a good mentor for her.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:17 pm

i'm hoping for the best where jake's efforts are concerned cos she is exactly the same in character and temprement as he is :)

LoL @ the calendar :) it's the first time that i've done it cos i normally get my pups from a doggy auction but cos i've had such a blast with Winters Dream before i sold her on i went back to the same guy and got pick of the litter cos i saw his advert on the day he put it up :):):)

and yup i think that the daily progress reports are gunna be a mandatory requirement for two reasons
1) it'll give all the members here something new to read and pass comment on each day :)
2) i'll be able to look back through the thread to see if i made any mistakes or if there are things that i could/should have done differently that would have got me to the end point faster :)

donna

ps
i've given "Flurry" the prefix of Autumnal seems about right :)

cos i've had :-

Summer Breeze bought on 23rd December 2010 when there was 6ft of drifting snow all over the farm :) this one was a bit of a joke name really but she's turned into a top agility dog :)

and then there's Winters Dream bought on the 18th November 2013 when the sun was cracking the flagstones :) this one really was a joke name cos it was soooo sunny last november no one was sure if we'd actually get a winter :)

but this time autumn has really set in :( the other thing is that i'll be able to make her a "hawk dog" so that bit will be really interesting and something that i wouldn't normally get the opportunity to create :)
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:04 am

17 days and then all the fun begins :)

roll on the 6th november :)
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:24 am

8 days to go now :) updated the photos on my FB page cos i got sent another one from Karl (breeder) yesterday and she is so much like jake it's unreal i can see many happy hours with this one coming up :)

"i'm so excited that i just can't hide it :)"

http://www.facebook.com/snoball.snoball/photos

donna
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:30 am

the poppy on my profile pic comes from twibbon (i think) - just lets everyone know what time of year it is and for those that know i served queen and country it's respect and rememberance thing too :)

donna
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:55 pm

right so it's nearly that time of year again where i get my new recruit :)

only 2 and a bit DAYS to go :) sooooo looking forward to it :)

i've already had the conversation with jakeyboy about how we're going to do things and how we're going to start her training off :) i always defer to jake cos he's my 2IC and needs to be in on everything that's going on :)

donna
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:24 pm

:)

ok so today it all went down :) and i brought home one outstanding border collie puppy :) i'm extremely happy with her performance today :)

straight out of the bag she went 51/2miles after cows and sheep this more than surpassed the levels that i was expecting :) she had a sleep and then went a further 2 miles before collapsing properly :) she's learnt how to sit / stay / lie down and nearly got all those nailed down inside 2 hours -- again she surpassed my expectations :)

she follows my feet and chases jake but she's not all over either of us which means that we're as happy as we were before she came to live with us :) jakes had a few snaps at her to let her know what isn't acceptable to him - which i was expecting him to do and he didn't let me down :) he even let her go near his precious toy box and play with his toys which was unexpected cos i thought that he'd have laid the law down regarding his toy box :)

in short she's a stunner and a dream to be around and she's learnt loads of stuff today alone :) i've only had her with me for about 8hours and she's settled really well :)

more updates to come and the pictures will be available on my FB page really soon :)

donna
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:32 pm

dogs like Jake and Autumnal Flurry and one in a million type dogs :)

they are exceptional in the way that they want to work, want the mileage and seek nothing from the handler -- i don't treat train - i praise train and dogs like these 2 respond better to it than other types of collie :)

think that all my years of working collies gave me a heads up as to what to look for and i picked right when she was only 4 weeks old. so if anyone else is looking to get a collie then give me a shout and i'll pass on the trade secrets ;)

one thing to remember though about the type of dogs that i go for -- they are all on the extreme side of the exercise scale with mileages of around 10miles per day at 8weeks old and then over 20miles a day at 6months old but the dog will be outstanding and bringing compliments from everyone from the day you get it till the day it passes on :)
autumn blitz

Re: the puppy challenge :) -- has started :)

Postby autumn blitz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:50 am

sooo it's now day 2 and this is where the hard graft really starts :(

out of bed nice and early for this one - started at 0530hrs welcome to hell -- it's freezing, hacking it down and generally just not very nice at all -- ho hum............

last night was a challenge to try and keep her in her bed without whining and crying - she's more or less got the idea that when she's inside she has to be quiet (if she can't manage that then i'll put her in my keenel block :) which she really won't like :) ) jake's loving me even more for the zero tolerance attitude cos that's how he was brought up. she has her own room with the stuff that she needs in ir and a closed door. she's being deprived of human contact on purpose cos she's domestic bred around people and i need her to be able to work on her own with jake so it's isolation time at home. she won't get socialized with other dogs apart from jake either so it's a proper wake up call for her. i don't like doing this but with domestics it's the only way cos a farm bred dog would be outside in a kennel away from people and other dogs anyways so i have to try to recreate that environment - it doesn't hurt the dog although she prolly wouldn't agree with me right now ;)

i give my dogs all the food and water they want and as much exercise as they can handle which judging by the way flurry performed yesterday is going to be a heck of a lot :)

i start the training just with simple walks and add in a few small hills and generally just build up the stamina levels and i'll be doing this for prolly about 2 weeks and just drip feed commands like sit / stay / down --- simple stuff really :)

hoping that today is as good if not better than yesterday :)

donna
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:23 am

quick one this :(

just done a health check on flurry to see how she's doing physically and it's all good to a point :/

o fpund a whole heap of tiny blisters on her pads which are perfectly normal but hell they're a major distraction for her :( i've sorted them out and am hoping that she'll be good to again later :) she's definitely up for it cos she's playing with jake's toys in the house so she's not that bad.

donna

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”