PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

OCD Disorders in Dogs

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

SugarPaws

OCD Disorders in Dogs

Postby SugarPaws » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:13 pm

I found this article analyzing the different OCD disorders in dogs. I think it's good information so I wanted to post it for others who might be interested. I didn't realize that some of these common traits when done in excess were a medical issue. If you see a potential sign in one of your dogs, maybe this will help increase awareness of it and hopefully over time help them. I really liked it so I hope you guys do too.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... ShareASale

Does anyone have any experience with things like this? I'm really interested.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OCD Disorders in Dogs

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Fly-snapping syndrome is not OCD. Maybe in some rare cases but mostly not. Hyzzie had it but giving her flax seed in her diet fixed it over time. Fly snapping syndrome is a type of seizure disorder, though scientifically it's not proven to be since they haven't mapped their brains while it's happening or whatever's required. When she had an episode it'd scare the heck out of her because she actually saw something there(probably lights rather than flies). She's had two full blown seizures in her life and now has little mini localized head seizures though the vet said that's kind of common in old dogs.

In real OCD the compulsions are caused by obsessive thoughts. If they have to group these for dogs it probably should just be compulsion disorders and drop the O. But really these things listed are all different and have many different causes. In the case of fly snapping it's seizure activity in the brain.
SugarPaws

Postby SugarPaws » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:00 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Fly-snapping syndrome is not OCD. Maybe in some rare cases but mostly not. Hyzzie had it but giving her flax seed in her diet fixed it over time. Fly snapping syndrome is a type of seizure disorder, though scientifically it's not proven to be since they haven't mapped their brains while it's happening or whatever's required. When she had an episode it'd scare the heck out of her because she actually saw something there(probably lights rather than flies). She's had two full blown seizures in her life and now has little mini localized head seizures though the vet said that's kind of common in old dogs.

In real OCD the compulsions are caused by obsessive thoughts. If they have to group these for dogs it probably should just be compulsion disorders and drop the O. But really these things listed are all different and have many different causes. In the case of fly snapping it's seizure activity in the brain.

Oh that's very interesting. I figured most of this article was a lot of conjecture anyway. Hard to find good information so thank you for clarification.

So fly snapping is an idiopathic disorder probably caused by seizure activity (a theory which is gaining momentum from what I can see). Is that always the case? Or do dogs sometimes do it for... fun? or out of boredom? I'm curious, why did flax seed help? Is that good for dogs having problems with seizures?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:46 pm

Interesting. I'd like to read more articles on that. I don't think an animal can be OCD in the same sense a human can be--but like TG said, have compulsions to do those things.

I wonder about my red fox Ifrit. I am undecided whether it is a lack of stimulation, or if she has a compulsion issue that causes some of her behaviors. Since she is super duper hyper and always on the go, I lean more toward the first. But even when she is being given a lot of enrichment and attention--she'll still try to eat all sorts of stuff or go off on a sniffing spree.

She sniffs a lot, but that could easily be just because she's a fox and is "searching" for prey and her natural curiosity makes her want to check out every sort of scent she finds. She sniffs for about 15 minutes straight, following trails around her enclosure and sniffing the air. Fable doesn't do that. For her, I think a lot of it comes from her not having enough enrichment. Fable doesn't need as much mental stimulation as she does. She's always been a crazy animal and demands more enrichment than he ever did. So could be compulsory, but I'm thinking she might just be trying to release all the excess energy she has. When the outdoor enclosure is finished, I'm anxious to see if these behaviors will stay or go away.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:32 pm

I think it's the omega oils in the flax seed since they are good for the brain. I also give her EPA/DHA now(basically refined fish oil) to try and help her brain more since she has other seizure activity now.

It's possible some cases may be. Like if a dog snapped at flies for fun it might just decide to do the behavior for fun when there aren't some but I think the difference would probably be fairly obvious.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:45 am

Emo snaps at bees when she's laying out on the porch. But obviously, only when there's bees about and near enough to her that she sees them and wants to eat them...because she's just so smart.

Fly snapping syndrome is pretty easy to spot and tell the difference from just when they're nipping at something near them to try and "get" it.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:30 pm

TG, where do you find flax seed and in what form would you give to a dog?

Our Aussie began having seizures about 3 months ago. He turned 2 last November. My vet said he'll likely have this for the rest of his life.

In order to keep seizure activity down, we have been dosing him with Levetiracetam 3x/day. I hate poisoning his body with medication, and I hate the expense of the medication. And he's not the same dog on the meds - personality has dulled, energy levels down. I'd sure like to add flax seed to his diet - perhaps with this supplementing, we could cut back on the Levetiracetam.

Been researching the condition, have found so many contradictions. Don't know who to believe, and who not to. VERY frustrating!!! :wall:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:39 pm

You can get flax seed most any where. There often is some in the cereal section of stores in a little bag. You can find it online or buy it from farm and feed stores, but they usually only sell it in huge bags. Buy whole seed then grind it and feed it that way. It stores well whole but once ground the oils in it are exposed to air so start to oxidize.

I used to know of a few people that started feeding cottage cheese to their chihuahuas with seizures and they stopped. I have no idea why that would be though other than some sort of nutritional deficiency it fixed. Hyzzie would never dream of touching the stuff though.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks for the info, TG. I will try BOTH. That dog eats ANYthing, so he'll gobble up the cottage cheese for sure! He's an odd dog - he absolutely loves fruit. I never had a dog who would eat fruit before... icon-smile

Is it necessary to grind the flax seed for him to process/absorb the benefits? Because I *think* I could just as easily sprinkle on his food and he'd eat it.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:58 pm

I think the seeds may not digest if not ground. You can use a coffee grinder or a blender. You could grind like a weeks worth at a time and keep it in the fridge but I wouldn't do more than that since it will lose it's potency the longer it's kept.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks, TG. I figured it may not absorb as well if not ground. I can grind them. Actually have a coffee grinder we no longer use that would be perfect.

Wish me luck - am going to try the cottage cheese and the flax seed. I'll let you know if it helps!
Dana

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:07 pm

With Hyzzie and the flax seed it took time. Her symptoms slowly lessened over time till they went away.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:24 am

:wall: No luck finding flax seed in the cereal OR the natural foods sections of the grocery. Maybe I can find it at another store... Will keep looking. Maybe will try a GNC or something like that...
Dana

minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:07 pm

DeweysMom wrote::wall: No luck finding flax seed in the cereal OR the natural foods sections of the grocery. Maybe I can find it at another store... Will keep looking. Maybe will try a GNC or something like that...

Check the vitamin/supplement aisles. Often bags of whole seeds found there. I have never seen whole flax seed in the grocery section here. May vary by store.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:28 pm

Check the vitamin/supplement aisles. Often bags of whole seeds found there.

Thanks, minervasden, I'll check next time I'm there!
Dana

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”