Sarplaninac/Illyrian Sheepdog

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Sarplaninac/Illyrian Sheepdog

Postby Juska » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Has anyone heard of this breed before? Haha. I just learned about them yesterday. They seem to be a slightly smaller version of the Ovcharka/other sheepdog types in Eastern European regions.

"According to the FCI breed standard males should weigh between 35 and 45 kilograms (77 and 99 lb) with females slightly smaller at around 30–40 kilograms (66–88 lb).[3] The average height is quoted as 62 centimetres (24 in) for males with females at 58 centimetres (23 in)"

So somewhat in the size range of the Akita. I'm looking for a large breed dog (or would that size qualify as extra large? dog breed sizes are weird). Not right now but in the future as my next pet.

I have read that they're a stoic, loyal, reserved, working breed. Which is pretty much what I want in my next dog. A less common breed, something a little more "relaxed", not having to be the center of attention. But something I can take hiking with me or other similar activities. They are working dogs though so they need stimulation, obviously. I do like the way they look also, and the hair isn't a big problem for me, haha.

I'm not sure if what I've heard about them being non-affectionate and dog aggressive is true, because I've seen plenty of photos and videos of them playing with other dogs and their owners. Same thing with people saying Akitas are dog aggressive or same sex-aggressive. I don't know why they would breed dog aggressiveness, if they did, into a guardian breed that's supposed to protect against wild animals, not their own kind.

I saw this video of two Sarps playing with what looks like a wolfdog (though the title says "wolf"), and they look like they're having some good fun, with each other and the person filming: Wolf and Sarplaninac Dancing in the Snow

The wolfdog actually bites onto one of the dog's tails in the video and starts yanking, and the dog does not react aggressively but rather like "Hey, stop it! I'll tell dad!".

I also have found an active kennel/breeder of them in Northeastern Pennsylvania which is where I'm from, Shar Mountain Kennels.

Anyway, I think this might be a breed I'm going to add to my list of "maybe" for my next dog. I love their derpy happy faces. From what I've heard from owners on forums, they seem independent but loyal and affectionate to their people, weary of strangers and other dogs but not usually fierce and aggressive toward them (sometimes very much so but not always), a bit of a prey drive and very, very caring and protective with animals it has ordained as theirs to protect (ducklings, piglets, lambs, etc). Except birds like chickens, apparently. Which all basically sounds exactly like Max and Emo. I think it's a personality I could handle. The upgrade in size and more independent spirit would be the challenge, which I am open to. And of course I don't have my heart set on this specific breed. If a Tornjak or something else would be more suitable I'd look more into those breeds.

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sarplaninac/Illyrian Sheepdog

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:28 pm

The last one in the picture with the sheep looks so majestic. I'd never heard of these dogs before. They're powerful-looking. :) I can see why you like them. They have a similar look as the akita: strong, stocky but athletic, and fluffy, lol.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:09 pm

I wanted to get at least one photo of them with sheep, seeing as they're a sheepdog and all, haha. The photo I picked really shows the determination the dog has (that "I'm watching you, don't come any closer" look). That one in particular also shows off the different coat colors they can have, not just cream with tipped black all over.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Talys

Postby Talys » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:20 pm

I actually have heard of them, but only through the UKC.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”