NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Do domestic Dogs besides sled Dogs ever howl at the moon?

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Do domestic Dogs besides sled Dogs ever howl at the moon?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:17 pm

My neighbor just got this Dog and it looks like a mix of a lab and they don't really know what other breed the Dog is mixed with. It got me curious because this Dog howls at the moon quite a bit and I don't recall seeing many Labrador retrievers howl at the moon like this. Could it be part Coyote? Or am I overthinking this and some domestic Dogs do howl at the moon like this? I'm very excited if it is part Coyote.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do domestic Dogs besides sled Dogs ever howl at the moon

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:25 pm

None of them actually howl "at the moon" They just howl. But any dog can have the howling instinct. But some of them sound incredibly silly doing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq5iDgCIa08
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:57 pm

Some dogs howl, has nothing to do with the moon. My dog howls if she's put in a kennel and left alone.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:08 pm

We have six poodle mixes, and all of them except one howl at coyotes, howl at hermonicas, and howl when we howl at them (then we all howl together). They all sound so funny when they do it!
None of them have husky in them, but none of them sound near as good as a wolves.

We just love when our dogs howl as a pack. : )
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:10 pm

My neighbor's black lab would howl whenever a fire truck or ambulance went by with their sirens on.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
PatriciafromCO

Postby PatriciafromCO » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:17 pm

easily all my GSD's howl, more like sound that sets them off and taking those moments to introduce the word "sing" over time I could just ask them to sing. My CO's are lol lol lol guess you would call them bay-ers as its not as sweet sounding as my GSD's it's more like injured seals.... icon-smile My CC took the longest to learn how to join in but she finally did and has a really nice howl...
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:55 am

My Shiba inu will howl if you go long enough ignoring him when he's trying to get your attention. NatGeo apparently decided a while back that Shibas were the closest genetically to Wolves, and that seems pretty believable when he gets going. But he only ever gives one howl at a time and then gives up for a while. If you try to egg him on by howling back to him, he looks at you like you've lost your marbles.
hecate

Postby hecate » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:19 am

Greyhounds are notorious singers and have very clear voices with impressive range. In the racing Greyhound adoption community it's called a "roo." There does seem to be a critical mass in terms of number of dogs for rooing, though. My current two are not a big enough group to roo. When I was running the local Greyhound adoption group I lived less than a mile from the fire station in a small town that also had a noon whistle. The Greyhounds just HAD to help the fire sirens and the whistle. It could be deafening.
Elina

Postby Elina » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Not at the moon but my klee kai howl when I leave the house. They run to the window which is on the side of the house the garage is and they howl like "don't leave me mom!".
They howl if they hear a dog howl on youtube.
They however don't howl at the moon and they are more or less mini sled dogs.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”