Great Pyrenees in Backyard?

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great Pyrenees in Backyard?

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:11 pm

My sister saw the dog several days ago and pulled over to try to get it in her truck. This way she could bring it home and we could then take it to the shelter to see if it had a microchip. A lady saw my sister and told her that the dog had been roaming for several days and had likely been abandoned. Who knows whether or not that's true, but the dog wouldn't get in my sister's truck and eventually just went away.

Then we come home tonight. We are letting Mousse outside to potty, when suddenly we see this HUGE white dog out there! Like HUGE! We have no clue how she got there, but the best guess is that the lady knew where we lived, got the dog, and then just... put it in our yard. One of the gates didn't have a lock on it, so that's the only explanation? So weird, regardless.

The foxes are flipping out... But they'll calm down. The dog is scared of the foxes though, so isn't really bothering them. Just its presence is.

Pretty sure the dog is female--didn't see any balls, lol, but then again, it was VERY fluffy.

Very nice animal too. Very sweet and nice, but refuses to take a step inside the house. Apparently this dog was once strictly outdoors. We can't lure her indoors with anything. But she was content to plop down in the snow and lay there.

I read that they can be outdoor dogs. So I'm assuming she will be fine being outdoors.

It's only been an hour since we discovered her, but I have to admit, I'm a little attached... And so are my sisters. I'm not entirely sure what to do, but I'm going to go calm down the foxes now. Fable is screaming constantly at her.

It's dark, but it looks like she has problems on her back. Like big tumors or something--or maybe they are just huge mud mats in her fur. It's impossible to tell in the dark, but I'll see in the morning.

Any... advice? She'll be okay outside, right? She doesn't have a dog house. That's my biggest concern... If someone can offer some help, that would be great. Especially if you know the breed.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Great Pyrenees in Backyard?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm

If it's not below zero she should be fine outside. That's what all that fur is for, but if you keep her getting a house for her so she has a choice is good. If you really want something now though you could fix a board against a wall.

I would assume they are mats. Maybe she was actually being used to guard livestock though they normally aren't roamers when they already have a tract of land and animals to protect but funny she'd be scared of foxes if so. The mats may be worse than they look. You can try working them out before resorting to cutting them out, use a comb to separate skin from mat before cutting. Though if she wont go inside it may be best to leave them till nicer weather as they are still providing protection.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:52 pm

Okay, that's good to know. And yeah, if we can't find her owners and do wind up keeping her, then yes, a little house for her is a necessity. Actually, we could probably make her a really nice spot under our porch. It's really tall under there, so she could stand up completely and have a place to be warm. Could put hay or straw on the ground for her to help keep her warm...

Reading more, it definitely sounds like they are mats. I may have to leave them if I can't comb them out tomorrow.

She was very hungry. Fortunately I have leftover dog food from when Momma was left here. So I can feed her that in the meantime. It's cheap food, so not the best, but will work for a while.

It's just very strange that the woman probably brought her over. I need to check for footprints.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:35 am

Well at least cheap food is generally high energy since high carbs. That will give her energy to burn to help keep warm too.

Maybe the lady figured since you were trying to catch her before that you wanted her.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:46 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:Maybe the lady figured since you were trying to catch her before that you wanted her.

I think you're right--or at least, that's got to be the most likely reason. Maybe I'm just paranoid about people coming into my yard since I have foxes and stuff, and that's why I'm so weirded out. I need to find out which sister of mine took the lock off the other gate so I can yell at her, lol. :icon-wink:

I went out to give the foxes a bedtime snack, and there was the dog--laying on the cold ground (in dirt though, not the snow). I tried to get a look, and now I think it might be a boy. But the things on the back are definitely just mats, so that's good.

This dog is lovey-dovey. I couldn't walk through the snow without it pressing up against me and stepping on my feet. And it's so heavy it almost knocked me over a few times.

Well, I will update when I have more to say about it. For now, "it" is outside, sleeping, with a big tub of food and some water.

If I do wind up keeping it, it would be nice to have a livestock guardian dog to protect future animals like chickens. It actually didn't seem bothered by the foxes at all the second time I went out, so that's good.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:57 pm

I always want to use my head when it comes to these things. (Oh, and it's a female for sure now, lol.)

So this morning, we went ahead and took her to a nice animal shelter to get the legalities sorted. No microchip whatsoever when she was scanned and no identification. We told the shelter we might be interested in her, so they told us in 5 days if she is not claimed we can have first dibs.

Anyway, we will see. This gives us a few days to use logic in our reasoning--which is good. That's why I never buy any animal the first time I see it. I always have to give myself a few days to think about it.

If we do get her, it is likely she will be my other sister's dog (I live with two of my sisters--my younger sister owns Mousse--my older sister does not own pets... yet, lol). So she would not be my financial responsibility. But she is the perfect dog for my older sister--if we wind up keeping her.

It would be nice to have a LGD pacing the yard and guarding my animals. She is fine with the foxes, not at all aggressive, and the foxes are now okay with her. She refuses to go indoors, or into a car. Two of us had to lift her up to get her in. But despite being carried and not liking it, she did nothing to fight us, lol. Very sweet animal.

So we will see. :) I highly doubt her owner is going to claim her at the shelter. So we will see what my sister decides. Mousse likes other dogs once they aren't far away and he can interact with them, lol. And from my research (I researched TONS last night, haha) it seems Great Pyrenees get along fantastically with smaller dogs, kids, and animals as long as they understand they are a part of the family.

My older sister has always wanted a dog, but then got really jaded towards dog ownership after I got stuck with the lab I was supposed to be boarding. When she saw this fluffy dog though, she got so excited. Her favorite breeds are Newfoundlands and St. Bernards--which are both very similar to a Great Pyrenees. We never wanted to get them though because we wouldn't be able to stand fur in the house. But this dog wants to be an outdoor dog, lol. So that would solve that problem.

We shall see!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:23 pm

Does sound like a really good match. It's good the owner will have a chance just in case and good to give yourself some time to think over everything.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:43 pm

I hope you get to keep the dog. : )

Large guard dogs are awesome. They can survive most any temps and aren't highly excitable, but they love to watch over something and so enjoy patrolling the yard. They also enjoy slow walks (jogging might hurt their hips).
She sounds like she may need a shave to get rid of the bad mats, but she'll grow her hair back in soon enough. We've had to shave some matted dogs before, and it prevents a itchy, infected skin and them not being able to groom themselves.

Make sure she is up to date on her shots and is spayed (no need to have puppies all the sudden!)

I did want to say that wandering dogs can leave their owners and walk miles and miles. We had a dog named Cleo who had a seizure and went dellusional. She ran away from us fearfully and was found miles away by a farmer, covered in over a hundred ticks, over a week later. He called the number on her collar (not all our dogs wear collars, thankfully she was) and she got back home. It was a miracle!
My point in this is that if someone does claim her, know they are very, very happy to find their dog again.

Best of luck! icon-smile
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:34 am

Oh, I know. If something happened to any of my animals I would be praying for their safe return. That's why we're going through all the legal steps--to give the owner a chance to find their dog. This dog has been wandering around our town for the past week already. And if the owners haven't even called the local shelters to let them know, it makes me wonder how much they care. A great pyrenees would be an easy dog to find and return, I'd think.

Still, I definitely want to give the owners a chance.

My sister is thinking on it a lot. Would be a perfect fit for her. If not, that's okay. But we shall see.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:51 am

Well, doesn't seem like we'll go forward with adopting her. Which is okay. It would have been fun and exciting to get a new dog. My sister liked the idea of an outdoor dog, but it also made her sad that this particular dog wouldn't be able to come in the house and wouldn't be as happy inside. She loves the big white dogs, and she was looking at Borzoi pictures with me. She thinks they're super pretty and thinks she might want an all-white one someday. Doesn't seem to be in the cards anytime soon, but would be fun if she did wind up getting a dog while we lived together so that I could enjoy it for a while too. Besides, then Mousse would have a playmate.

But that's the wrap up story for the Great Pyrenees. :) Figured I should just give an update in case anybody was curious, lol.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:34 am

Sorry you didn't get the dog, but I'm glad it all worked out. Sometimes common sense can be such a pain, but its what keeps me from owning fifty dogs. Instead, we only have seven (and pet sit a number of them as well). :lol:
Trust me, if there weren't allergies in the family we'd have a LOT more dogs. Every time we went to the shelter we'd be bringing home a new one.

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”