Dog Won't Drink

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dog Won't Drink

Postby Ash » Sat May 07, 2016 3:30 am

So Mousse the yorkie will not drink from his new water bowl... It's the kind that has the jug on top that only lets so much water out at a time. And then it sends up "the bubble of doom."

He will ONLY drink from the bowl when someone is standing beside him... :roll: So it's not like he's scared of actually drinking out of the new bowl--it's just that it's weird enough that he wants someone there.

His food bowl is right beside it. So he is always standing beside the water jug/bowl. It's just the act of drinking out of it that's the problem.

We've put blueberries in the water, ice cubes, treats... But he won't touch them unless we're standing close. Then he gets a big drink and eats up all the treats. But if we don't stand beside him while he drinks, he'll just leave it until someone eventually does.

Obviously this is not going to work out, us standing beside him every single time he wants a sip... I feel like we have been enablers.

We decided NOT to go stand by his bowl when he wants us to, and hope that he gets thirsty enough to go get a drink on his own... I'm assuming this is the best idea, but wanted to run it past people here before we really start ignoring him completely when he wants a drink... He will get thirsty enough to actually get over this, right? Any better ideas? The new jug/water bowl was expensive, and it's super nice and convenient. I don't want to have to get rid of it if I don't have to.

He is such a wimp. :roll:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
CitricPrincess

Re: Dog Won't Drink

Postby CitricPrincess » Sat May 07, 2016 4:43 am

My dog refuses to drink out of those jug bowls. Maybe a few laps when he's absolutely next to dehydration. I feel nally gave up and replaced it with just a large bowl. Needs to be filled more often, but at least Ren drinks. Then again he's picky and barely drinks out of bowls he likes...

My parents just left it out till the dogs learned that was the available water. Eventually it worked, Keira started ignoring the bubble, even, I think. So for many dogs or at least some, that strategy does work.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat May 07, 2016 5:00 am

I have seen him go over and take a few laps. When he realized I was watching him, he stopped and began whining for me to come... I think he's just being a baby. :P
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat May 07, 2016 9:18 am

Ash,

he is just afraid of it cause it is new, and makes a little noise. keep a regular water dish next to it.
he will probably get use to it being there, and eventually use it.

I use the stainless steel bucket for dog water.Easy to clean.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 07, 2016 12:39 pm

A lot of dogs do fear the bubble sounds. I'm sure Beaker would freak.

But they are not really the best idea. It's better than having no water but have you ever noticed when you change the water bowl after a night or two that it's slimy? That nasty bio film of bacteria is still building up in the bowl that you are now cleaning much less often. And if you haven't been cleaning the bowls daily you really should at least wipe and rinse them out.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 10, 2016 3:32 am

Thanks for all the replies. :)

That is true about the grime and buildup... I hadn't thought of that. We're considering giving up on this water jug/bowl anyway and going back to what he's used to--just getting him a larger bowl so it doesn't have to be filled multiple times throughout the day.

Thanks again, guys.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 10, 2016 3:33 am

Wish I could figure out another use for the jug. But I don't think it could really serve a different purpose other than being the bowl.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 10, 2016 4:51 am

ash,

my personal preference is the stainless steel buckets. they are safe and so easy to clean:.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... oCjW3w_wcB

other places sell them.
I also use ss bowls for everyone's food.

We're considering giving up on this water jug/bowl anyway and going back to what he's used to--just getting him a larger bowl so it doesn't have to be filled multiple times throughout the day.
I have a solution, get a raccoon, they will love it. :lol:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 11, 2016 12:15 am

Haha, a raccoon would love to dip its hands over and over in there, wouldn't it? :mrgreen: An "endless" source of water for them to splash out. I'm sure they'd get the jug empty fast though. :P

Thanks for the link.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 20, 2016 10:23 am

We used to have one of those jug-fed water dishes, but cleaning it was such a pain that we eventually got rid of it after like a year. We use ceramic bowls now, they don't get slimy. They used to have plastic bowls but the one we used for water would get that orange/brown slime on it too. Probably iron-related since we have hard water but at least the ceramic ones don't get it.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”