ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Fear aggression

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fear aggression

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Now that Beaker is neutered he's developed some fear aggression. I was worried about something along those lines since when I got Jupiter bunny neutered he went from a very friendly outgoing bunny to a very shy bunny.

Main problem is other dogs. He still does his hello bow and wants to meet them, the issue is when I say no he can't and pull him away then he seems to think the other dog is a threat so gets snarky.

Before his neuter he already had issues with skateboards but that's different they just excite him and was working with him, if I saw one coming would distract him with a treat so he'd not get a chance to bark at it and try to break him that way but they don't show up that often so it's slow work.

Treats aren't a good option with dogs since he's more excited about meeting a dog than a treat. I suppose the best answer is more work and time and work on his basic obedience so he'll come even if there is another dog without my tugging him. But since we've got more of our dog people hanging out again I thought I'd see if they had any tips to more directly help with the issue.
Juska

Re: Fear aggression

Postby Juska » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:54 pm

I would go the obedience route. Have him more focused on you so you don't have to break the contact with physical means like the tug. Just a "no" or "heel" so he thinks "oh mommy wants me with her now" instead of "I'm being pulled away, something must be wrong".
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fear aggression

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:46 pm

I figured but a short cut would have been nice. It's too easy to get lazy with little dogs.

Been working with him some. He is doing better. Doesn't snark at cat's when I call him away. He ran into a couple larger dogs on the trail today. They were loose he was nice saying high at first then snapped. The poor big lab girl turned tail and ran back down the trail and her owner had to go after her. She apologized for them running up to us and I had to apologize for Beaker. Guess I'll need to be more careful with him and big dogs. Part of the issue I guess is the now Ex-neighbor's dog used to smack him over the back with his huge paws when he'd get out. But I really wasn't expecting him to do that since he got to say hi and they were being nice.

He's funny when I try a new command on him his first response is to throw himself prone to the ground and grovel for acceptance. He's doing pretty good with come and okay with sit. Will sit on carpet but not the kitchen floor.

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”