My Rottie Sasha

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Chipmom

My Rottie Sasha

Postby Chipmom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:03 pm

My poor rottie Sasha is growing a lump on her right elbow it looked like an elbow callous 6 months ago and I took her to the vet today now she is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday and they will biopsy it. She is only 22 months old.
Then she just tore her ACL and we talked about the pros and cons of ACL surgery. He wants to try laser treatment first with lots of rest and she got her first anti inflammatory tonight with dinner.
She cannot go out and play rough and tumble no more with her age mate Diesel. She cannot run around for I don't know how long.
And she is losing weight littke by littke despite me feeding her more.
The vet took blood and urine and we ordered a comprehensive work up.
She is on a monthly flea tick heartworm prevention and I give it to them religiously.
Sigh... She is too young for all of this.
My two senior dogs are in better shape then her right now and poor Diesel has no age mate for playtime outside now.
Although they can still jawspar inside.

Won't know anything about the biopsy or the blood and urine for a bit as you know that stuff isn't instant oh and I gotta get a stool over there too.

Too much for my little baby. So sad.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Rottie Sasha

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:59 pm

I'm sorry. It's horrible when they have major health issues young. Is the lump hard? I would be worried of bone cancer, the breed is more prone to it than most, but hopefully that's not it and the weight is unrelated to it and it's a benign lump instead. Does the monthly treatment prevent worms too? That would be a fairly good reason for loosing weight if not.

Oh a more bright side PS many do great with a leg removal if it is cancer and live long happy lives as tripods.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chipmom

Postby Chipmom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:24 pm

The lump is not hard, I can squeeze it from underneath and seems like I can touch my fingers together underneath through her skin. It feels like a callous in consistancy but the vet said he doesn't like the fact that it is growing.
The stuff she takes is Intercepter ( not the Intercepter plus ) and also k9 advantix.
If it's worms it's a worm that slipped through the cracks??
Worms are easy to treat so I hope it's worms honestly and not thyroid or some crazy medical issue.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:56 pm

Good a soft lump is usually not a bad thing.

Strongyles are one that could be missed by that. I guess not as common in dogs but anteaters are prone to them. Wouldn't hurt to run a fecal just to be sure.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chipmom

Postby Chipmom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Interesting. That is the first time ever hearing that. What is a strongyle?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:07 pm

They are sometimes called threadworms and are nematodes so related to round worms. They can be hard to kill without the right wormer since they burrow into the intestinal lining till adult stage. They are most common in livestock but anteaters get them a lot too. I found a site once that listed the different wormers and how effective they were against them and at different points in the worm cycle but don't know where it was now.
---
Mary

Chipmom

Postby Chipmom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:10 pm

Thank you I will have to bring that up to the vet.
She does eat stuff. A few weeks ago my husband caught her with a dead bird. He tried to get it from her but she swallowed it so he couldn't get it. Eeewwww. Naaaaasty.
But she has been slowly losing weight before that.
I thought it was because Rotties are still growing and I thought she was very athletic and needed more food so I kept giving her more.

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”