NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

The ''Pitbull'' law

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

denisthemalice

The ''Pitbull'' law

Postby denisthemalice » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:14 pm

I have five friends that owns Pittbull, I didn't know that they had such a bad reputation (not my friends), cause all that I know is my experience with my friends pitts, and they are just loveble and playfull puppies. But I understand there has been some serious cases of injuries and even death because of this dog, and I think we should certainely be aware of this problem. More and more city are banning the pitt, but when a city decide to pass a law on pitbull's not to be allowed, is this fare for the owner's? What happen to the dog's owners? And what should be done exactly?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The ''Pitbull'' law

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:16 pm

It can vary a lot. First different countries can have pitbull and other "aggressive" dog bans or laws like being muzzled in public. But in USA it comes down to state and city laws. No state has banned pit bulls yet but some cities have. Recently some have reversed their bans so things may be changing for the better again but it's slow.

If a city passes a new law banning pit bulls current owners may need to get rid of them, or they may have some sort of grandfather clause allowing current owners to keep them till they die but they often add on requirements like being muzzled in public and always fenced at home. And people passing through a city with a ban risk their dogs being confiscated, since people rarely check a cities laws before visiting or passing through to know their pet isn't allowed, especially when it comes to dogs since they are normally excepted everywhere, unlike our exotics.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:21 pm

The neighborhood I have the displeasure of living in has bans on most large dog breeds that are considered dangerous. german shepherds, pit bulls, dobermans, rottweiler... Just to name a few. One of the reasons why living in a family neighborhood is terrible.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Chipmom

Postby Chipmom » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:26 am

There is a lot people are trying to do to fight these band. Many rescue groups end up with these dogs so they are the most forward voice in breed legislation. Using social media to stir up support and spread the cause is what I have noticed.
I have one and she is the sweetest dog you'll ever meet. Ditto on my rottie.
It is the way people train them, or teach them, or raise them, or interact with them, or all of the above. But still in a lot of cases it's still not enough to change a lot of them. Then they end up being bait dogs.
So many abused Pitties are rescued and are so forgiving and loving, I have one. She knows she has it good and loves people anyway despite whatever her past was.

One issue I have noticed is that people push dogs to react then it's the dogs fault. A child corners a dog and jumps on it to play with it so the dog gives clear warnings but it goes un noticed and then the dog bites.
The dog has guarding resources issues and the parents don't watch the kids and then someone gets bit.
People bring home dogs and expect them to integrate without a hitch and one little bump in the road and oh no they don't get along, someone has to go without trying to work it out.
Too forceful at being dominate and doing those dominance rolls, ( I hate those don't get me started )
Not teaching the dogs what the rules are in the first place, etc.
Oh, and please don't get me started on dog parks!
Put down your phone and pay attention to your dogs if you feel you must do the park!

Let me tell you about my dogs, my Shadow, well he is a special case, you must follow the rules to meet him, sit down, don't look don't talk don't touch, until I get the signal he is done sniffing, why? Because he can meet people if done right and most people insist on meeting my dogs even after I tell them about my dogs and the rules.
It can be done. It has been done. All he wants is to get to sniff you without feeling pressured. The pressure is removed and he doesn't feel defensive and then all is fine.
Brandy is the pitty and she is a people dog but dogs there is a catch to getting her to meet dogs. You can't just let them sniff butts and do their own thing, it will be a disaster! Can she meet dogs? Yes! But you must do it the Brandy way.
My Diesel is an Aussie Rottie mix. He has that Aussie personality that wants to bark nip and herd, get things moving so he can corral the motion of moving people or animals. He is also a big time barker looking very scary when you first meet him, but all he is saying is I'm scared, don't hurt me, I don't know you. If you sit down and have Brandy and Sasha loving on you he sees that and is very comforted by that so then once he knows you he will love on you too.
Sasha lives all people and dogs. Strangers are just friends she hadn't met yet, and she is the Rottie yet because of what she is some won't even let her and that hurts her littke Rottie feelings and makes her pout.
Almost ( not all ) but almost all dogs, can be worked through their problems if you put the effort into it, and learning dog language should be a requirement in my opinion as there are so many dogs in people's homes and just look at those teeth, with the potential for the damage they can do with just a warning nip it's a no brainier to me.
Have I been bit? Yes and no. It depends on who's telling the story. It has been the occasional nip, but if the media got the story I got attacked, even though no skin was broken, I got a bad pitty or a bad Rottie or whatever, sigh... Did I give up? No. I know they were warning nips while learning my new dogs, and I know they talk to eachother like that, mostly snaps in the air. I know that they know how to do damage, and chose not to.
Why should I expect my dogs to not tell me thier opinion?
They get to hear mine all the time? It's only fair.
Good communication makes for good relationships no matter whether it's humans or our animals.
People who have any animal, be it a bear or a mouse, I think should strive to try to understand how they are feeling and try to understand how they talk to you.
They are always talking to us, are we as humans listening?
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Then there's the other, sometimes coinciding, "black dog syndrome" that more and more people are becoming aware of...it's not a ban but a misguided and misinformed train of thought that black dogs are inherently more mean/dangerous/wild/etc.

Sooooo dangerous.

I think many people still believe that a black dog, even acting normally and posing no threat, are more prone to aggressiveness, for some reason.

But I don't think any politician would dare try to ban black dogs because of the myth that they're all bad...banning a creature because of its color would be a little too easy to compare to racism, don't you think? :roll: Don't see why banning by breed is any different, it's still something the dog is born as and can't be changed. The breed isn't the problem...a golden retriever has just as much chance to be mistreated and react by biting than any other breed, yet somehow they're seen as the all-American family dog.

Now, making to act of breeding dogs without a state or federal-issued license (think USDA), that'd be a whole 'nother story. Members of breed clubs/show dog breeders with titled dogs get in a little easier...but have an oops litter or BYB operation, you get slammed with a $500 fine and a court order to have your pet spayed or neutered as well as the offspring when they're old enough to be. No taking away anyone's pets, no discrimination against any breed. Just stop making more unless you know what you're doing. BYBs won't go through the headache of getting a USDA/similar license and they won't have any standard-compliant dogs fit to win any titles at any show. Not just having AKC/etc registered dogs, which is way too easy.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Chipmom

Postby Chipmom » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Agreed Juska about the breeding oversight and the black dog syndrome I always believed that too many dogs needing homes in shelters is a sad reality. Most get euthanized and the ' dangerous breeds ' are the first to the needle, or gas, regardless of how sweet they are.
Having the oversight would definitely curb the population

I also believe that teaching dog language to kids in school and cat language should be mandatory like teaching drivers Ed. With all these dogs and cats it really needs to be as important as look both ways before you cross the road, don't put your phone in water it won't work, gravity always wins you can't fly, don't put things in the electric socket, don't touch the hot stove, you start teaching these safety things and important pieces of information starting from babyhood, and even up to drivers ED?
Who puts a teen in a car without first teaching them how??
No one because a car is dangerous and even deadly if not used properly and so anyone who has a dog or cat has to understand that they are sentient beings full of feelings and opinions and they use teeth as a part of their repertoire in communication and all that can be avoided if we know how to talk to them and understand what they are saying, but no, that makes too much sense.
BTW 3 out 4 of my dogs are black, my Pitty is a red brindle.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:45 pm

What I don't understand is how they give kids permits and licenses when all they do in driver's ed is how to DRIVE the car...not teach them how a car actually works, what to do if it breaks down, how to change a tire etc. It would be SO beneficial to add that to the curriculum...but noooooo, can't be having any of that there knowledge learnin' on our kids. They teach them the BARE minimum to pass the exams. Ugh.

Aaaaanyway.

Yes, I believe there should be some type of class or program that introduces common pets to kids. Especially dogs. Big dogs, little dogs, dogs that bark, etc. Inner city kids are more prone to being fearful of dogs. I wonder why...my best guess is that the only dogs they grow up knowing are the psycho dog chained up in the back yard and people's terribly untrained and improperly socialized dogs being walked on the street (with or without a leash), being allowed to run up and jump/chase/bark at anything they see.

On that note, I saw a HUGE labrador, on a retractable leash, standing with its owners on the sidewalk the other day when I was driving through town. The dog had to be at least 100 lbs. At least. On a retractable leash that was probably intended to be used on a dog less than 30 lbs. I slowed the hell down as I drove past because I was terrified the dog was going to take off running into the street. The owner was holding the handle of the leash AND the string, like every person does who owns one of those stupid things and has a dog that pulls or takes off running. Right after I went by, I watched in my rear view mirror as the dog YANKED the owner across the street toward the park.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Chipmom

Postby Chipmom » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:18 pm

100lb dog is the norm in my house lol. I say my Rottie is a pocket Rott next to my moms Rottie over her house.
Then I have a friend who's Chihuahua is smaller then my dogs head. You should compare poop piles, lol.
During the winter her dogs use wee wee pads
I couldn't imagine wee wee pads for our dogs!
Her dogs don't want to get cold feet, just try to keep my guys from going out in the snow!
Yeah I can't fathom using those leashes on big dogs!! What kind of control do you think you have.
When I lived in the city I noticed people didn't have control over their dogs for the most part and that should be another thread because oh boy do I have some experiences to really rant on starting with dog parks!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:36 pm

On the original topic of pits a rescue could use some help with signatures. She has a very timid, non-aggressive pit but her inspector is scared of pits so has written her up for having an aggressive dog.
https://www.facebook.com/stickneys/post ... 3137612214
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chipmom

Postby Chipmom » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:22 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:On the original topic of pits a rescue could use some help with signatures. She has a very timid, non-aggressive pit but her inspector is scared of pits so has written her up for having an aggressive dog.

Exactly! :-x This is nothing more then a tragedy!! :cry:
denisthemalice

Postby denisthemalice » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:36 am

Juska, this is the first time I hear about ''black dog syndrome'', so I just read about it on Wiki. It is absolutely mad and ridiculous. And you know what they say, when you go black you'll never go back ;) lol
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:31 am

Can you imagine how horribly dangerous a BLACK pit bull must be!?!?!

:roll:
Nevlaar

Postby Nevlaar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:45 pm

All "dangerous breeds" I've ever had were sweet as sugar.
My golden retriever/lab mix is a n absolute demon.
I'll never understand you earthlings.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:43 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:On the original topic of pits a rescue could use some help with signatures. She has a very timid, non-aggressive pit but her inspector is scared of pits so has written her up for having an aggressive dog.

Seems there's more to the story than the pitbull. If you read this news story and watch the video, this woman deserves to have her license taken away. She been cited numerous times for animal neglect over the years completely unrelated to the pitbull after several complaints filed against her "rescue" by former volunteers for neglect of dogs.
http://www.1011now.com/content/news/Ani ... 55561.html
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:20 pm

I've followed her and her story since before facebook was invented so more than the 20yrs she's been officially licensed as a rescue. The story is crap. Notice the brief moment they show the inside floor, does that look piled with feces? Do you think that's all that comes out of that many dogs for the weeks they claim it was building up or even all that that many produces in just a day?

One of the complaints was someone complaining they found a flea on a dog they adopted, she has proof it was treated with prescription vet meds. The dept hates the rescues they allow all the puppy mills no matter how bad but cite the rescues. One rescue got cited for a dog they had just picked up from a mill for it being ill and not groomed they got home with it at 4:30 am and took a nap and he showed up at and cited her at 8am but That's a separate issues, still funny the mill she got it from wasn't cited over the same dog, huh?

Back to the current rescue. She cleans every morning and spot cleans all day mopping several times a day but they show up at 8am every time and cite her if anything isn't done yet. She was cited when a volunteer set a dog food bag down as they carried it in since it had a leak to go get tape or something to fix it because you can't store food on the floor. Her animals see the vet all the time. Oh she was cited for her 20yrold chihuahua being in the same room as puppies who were fenced off because she could supposedly go flying over the barrier and attack them. Hey obviously she's horribly abusive since she's had that dog since a pup and it's only 20yrs old. She was cited for going to the hospital for emergency surgery, and leaving some volunteers there to care for them.

You really can't believe the press any more they often show bits of "horrible conditions with piled feces" with perfectly healthy and clean looking animals. It's a common thing now. They are after her for her shining a light on the puppy mill conditions, which they allow with no citations, and came harder when she publicly complained, and that's why they cite her for things like leaning a bag of food against a wall briefly while it's inside to feed them. She still has her license as it's being contested(or it seems she does as they keep citing her). OH hey she was also just cited for her dogs having plush toys and had to throw them all out.I think the issue was some were originally human toys and dogs will apparently keel over and die from human toys due to fier retardants. Funny enough, mine never have.

The first images were from the old case but she was acquitted so doesn't count and not that bad with that many dogs that door would get smudges super fast, and a few poops, oh the horror dogs actually poop and it's not picked up the second it happens, again rules state once a day cleaning. She was acquitted and got more help to keep it better but was not in the realm of neglect even before hence why she was acquitted. The current case the yard photos of poop were from when she was in the hospital, she had people there caring for them but maybe not picking up the yard but that's days not weeks with that many dogs pooping, or it'd be so much worse. Gee a spotless floor in most of the other current shots aside from oh the puppies made a mess. Does that look like it's gone long amounts of time not being cleaned to you? With that many dogs?

I don't know about the claims of dead dogs but in light of everything else I'm not buying it at least in the way they are selling it. She has extensive vet records to show they are cared for and aside from a couple people giving her false info or moving so they can't be tracked down now there aren't dogs unaccounted for so where would these piles of dead dogs come from? It's just that couple they are blaming her for that can't be found. If she were faking to cover for scores of dead dogs there'd be lots more adopters they couldn't track down. And if a dog you got in bad shape does die why would burning it be a problem anyway?
---
Mary

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”