NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Dog breed help

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nevlaar

Re: Dog breed help

Postby Nevlaar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Like shelties?
I'll never understand you earthlings.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:43 pm

Yeah something like that, though I don't know how protective they are. I tried looking up dog breeds that don't wander and a lot are hearing breeds though then their description for these less likely to wander breeds kept saying things like love long hikes, which sounds like they love to wander but got me thinking maybe they just like wandering WITH their human due to a deep bond. They don't fit any other criteria but chihuahuas as a whole are not inclined to wander and are very clingy/devoted to their people. So I figure that may be the key. Be dependent on the owner but protective of their "pack" including the other animals.

One on the list as less likely to wander is the Berger Picard which is also listed as devoted and dependent on it's family for guidance and support. Little to no hunting instinct so another reason not to wander off.

"the Picard always tries to stay close to its owner and family, so even if you have a big yard and give the dog the choice to pick where it wants to be, it will rather stay inside with you than alone outside." ~ Dog bredd info, not the best site but they are a less known breed still so not tons of info.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:16 am

Just about any dog will run off, if given the chance, regardless of hunting instinct. I wouldn't trust a dog to not run away based on breed. I have a poodle/schnauzer who is VERY clingy and a golden/border collie who would take any chance she could get to escape our fence. Now that she's old she doesn't really try anymore, but if the gate is open she'll walk right out and wander away. The little poodle mix will follow her anywhere the other dog goes, even though he's very attached to my mother.

Nevlaar wrote:Iv'e developed a system with a dog called a "Kooikerhondje" to help keep the animals in, but they LOVE to wander off, and once they get out, they don't listen to a word you say. They also wouldn't protect the animals, and would run away from danger.

Are you saying you have a kooikerhondje or that you are considering one? Because they're pretty rare here in the US.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Nevlaar

Postby Nevlaar » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:55 am

No, I don't have them, but I worked with them, not anymore as they're more interested in my neighbor's dog than their job.
I'll never understand you earthlings.

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”