Dog autism

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dog autism

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:32 am

No I'm not making fun I know it's serious. This is a real thing. https://www.vetinfo.com/dog-autism-symptoms.html

And it explains Beaker. He doesn't tick all the boxes but he ticks enough that it fits him. I've said plenty that he's not a normal dog and doesn't have proper canine communication skills. Seriously he's not like any dog I've had or experienced before.

Does not communicate as a dog properly, like whining when you would expect a growl, his odd way of greeting other dogs other dogs often find him confusing because his doggy language is all scrambled.

His communication problems with me like he stops 10-20' from the corner, maybe anticipating my stopping to check traffic once we get there?? He stops when he wants to go a different way or doesn't want to go but often he stops and I ask what direction he would like to go by offering each option till we get back to the way I was headed and that's what he wants. Like really dude that's where we were headed when you stopped.

And no, unlike what some suggested, it's not a dominance issue for those still clinging to pack theory, a firm hand simply destroys him.

99% of the time any touch sends him rolling over onto his back. Needs me to lift the blanket for him to get under it, does not understand standing on it wont allow him under. He just stands there with his head lowered waiting. I lift it up. He does not get off and go under the lifted part. He stands there waiting for the part in front of him to magically get lifted even though it's not the edge and he's on it. Oh throwing himself prone at my feet asking for mercy if I try asking him to do something new. Standing on me apparently asking for dinner but then doesn't eat it. He often goes a day or more not eating. Hand feeding works or I just wait till he gets hungry enough.

He doesn't do it much any more, as he's not as much interested in toys but, he for sure used to line his toys up in patterns. My dad was especially enamored by this thinking it meant he's extra smart.

One contrast is that he is affectionate but overly so with lots of licking and often is his way of coping with something he doesn't understand, let me kiss you so you love me anyway. Come to think of it though tail wagging seems pretty rare but it does tend to happen when he successfully meets another small dog.

Then there's his noise sensitivity. His leash clicked against the door a few times when I opened it now he leaps from the step in fear of the noise when I open the door but right back up once it's open, even though I now make sure the leash never clicks the door. Then there was the clicker fiasco and the fly zapper episode and so much more. Noise horrifying noise everywhere.

On a similar note he does have his special safe place sound of the squeaker. Only doesn't work if the upsetting incident involves another dog. This did really help his odd fear of seeing people walking.

Routine upsets, oh yeah. One day we started for our walk and I had to go back to put the recycling out because my father forgot. OMG the horror, like he was terrified and all freaked out by that change. Get up and do something in my room like sweeping, upsetting. Work on something like when I messed with the sink, or rearrange thing, the sky is falling, and if possible run for help from the other human.

I don't have a normal dog. It's kind of like I don't even have a dog. I have a Beaker and I love him anyway.
Ana

Re: Dog autism

Postby Ana » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:17 am

It actually sounds very familiar to my brother, who has pervasive developmental delay and autism. He was rigorously trained out of many of the triggers and tics that even the mildest change in routine or unexpected noise would cause. Pat has met him and says she could barely tell anything was wrong. I think it's because we attacked it when he was quite young, using a treat motivation system that is probably very similar to that which we use to train dogs. Beak is probably a bit old to begin such a regiment, but if might be worth considering for anything that's causing him continual stress or upset. I'm glad he has such an attentive, knowledgeable parent. Most people would probably never notice, or make the connections if they did. ♡
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:44 am

Mary,

I never heard of a dog getting autism. but, apparently it happens. icon-sad
so sorry to hear about Beaker, honestly, I would have never known that after seeing his videos and pictures.
same for Ana's brother, after she told me he has autism, he seemed completely normal to me.

same goes for Beaker, he seems completely normal. I do know some dogs just have different personalities. from what I have seen and heard about Beaker, he is a smart little guy.

I know you love Beaker no matter what. I am rather fond of him myself.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:13 pm

Dogs can have issues like OCD, depression, learning disorders and anxiety as humans can, so it seems plausible that they could also experience autism.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:26 pm

My dog Milo sounds a bit similar to Beaker.

He can't communicate with other dogs well, it's very awkward to watch and usually ends poorly. He also obsesses over his favorite toys, licks strangers NON STOP, plays fetch until he collapses, and always acts extremely submissive. When you call him over, he won't come unless you sit down and gently ask him- otherwise he cowers.

He also will drink any form of water he finds, like wet sidewalks or tiles after a shower, and will compulsively drink entire bowls of water unless you stop him.

He acts helpless when he wants something, like coming underneath blankets (which he LOVES to do, I think they make him feel safe.) and will just scratch at them and cry until I let him under.

I've been wondering if he has autism or OCD, but it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. He's an amazing boy, and I love him to bits!

5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:55 pm

Glad you guys understand. Yeah I just see it as another issue more than one species can have. I tried some of the treat training for high anxiety dogs but he'd take a step forward but any slide back would be major and it's was frustrating. The squeaker made the big difference with his biggest issue of being scared to go on walks, he loves his walks but anything could send him wanting to run home or refusing to move but squeak squeak and he's good to go.

He was a year or so when I got him depending on which story of theirs I go by and am sure how he was treated there, since they were angry mean people, compounded any issues. Couldn't walk him in a harness but he's okay with a collar. He can't stand the harness touching him or clothes on, he runs around in circles the whole time but walking in a harness would make him lay prone on the ground. There is the one coat that he is okay with if out and about and he's cold. At home it's upset circling no matter what's on him. Poor dude. Oh got side tracked but he would get upset by the leash at first too and wind up laying down and not moving and scared to pass the one yard with the barking dog and back then the squeaker and running past helped but forgot about that till recently finding the magic of the squeaker again. Only over time that a pattern helped me figure it out.

Just lets me know it's not my fault that I can't work with him like a normal dog. Similar to an exotic I just have to figure out him and work with him as him instead and just have to accept some of it as well.

@Peacefulward liking under covers is a common Chihuahua thing but they normally do pretty good about figuring out how to get under. OCD water drinking would be scary.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:16 am

Yeah, we have to monitor his drinking because he'll drink himself to the point where he bloats and vomits everywhere. icon_confused.gif
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”