PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fox Dog Project

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nìmwey

Fox Dog Project

Postby Nìmwey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 pm

I've been sitting on this idea for only a couple of weeks and wondered whether I should sit on it for much longer, but since I am unlikely to ever make this reality, I can just as well spread it out to the "public domain" and let you see it as well.

The idea is that while we have tons of wolfdogs, wolfdog breeds and wolfalike breeds, there has to my knowledge never been an attempt to make a dog that looks like a fox. If you love wild canines but can't or don't want to have a fox, or even a big, energetic dog like the wolfalikes (they are typically mainly German shepherd x husky and other large dogs, so not an ideal mellow companion dog, especially for the novice), there is not really an option for you.

So I thought why not create a new breed, that does exactly that?

I'm not really into small dogs, but I've long thought that were I to have a small dog, it would be a Volpino Italiano. Wild-looking-ish, healthy, and a very good companion dog. I've grown up with Shetland sheepdogs, and they're great but I have no interest in owning them myself.

These two breeds, plus some other dogs inluding fox-like mongrels, could serve as the base for a fox-looking small companion dog.

I've written a simple "mission statement" and very unprofessional breed standard, plus drawn a template of what I imagine the end product would look like. But I don't think I will be the person to do this. I would be interested in the final product, and could perhaps even breed small-scale, but I am completely uninterested in genetics and the huge undertaking that creating a new breed would be. Also, even besides all that, I would have no opportunity to even get started with the first few dogs for at least another 3-5 years.

I hope someone else, with the resources, ability and knowledge sees this and takes it off, because I think it would be a greatly appreciated addition to the dog world.

The document is supposed to be able to be read by anyone, let me know if it doesn't work.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TxG ... sp=sharing
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Katalyst

Re: Fox Dog Project

Postby Katalyst » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:00 pm

You've obviously put a lot of effort and thought into this.
The only thing I can really offer constructive criticism on is the wish for a very low prey drive in the outcome breed. You're using some pretty high drive base breeds there so selectively breeding for low drive would be essential if you hope to achieve this. Over all, I think spitz type personality will abound and it'll be difficult to wind up with a dog that is handler focused and biddable without using a LOT of sheltie. I guess if you're aiming for authentic fox traits, biddability is of little concern however!

I think more health testing is needed than just those for dysplasia.
Luxatin patellas are common in VI's and they can suffer from eye problems.
Collie eye anomaly, MDR1 and von willebrands are seen in shelties, and glaucoma, dysplasia and thyroid issues are far from unheard of in Shibas.

Its a really interesting project you have there. It'll be a huge one though for whoever takes it on. Starting up a new breed usually requires a fairly extensive kennel set up and often some hard culling.
Red foxes, skunks, tanuki and domestic dogs.
Diet geek.

https://kaiswayridgefoxes.com
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Interesting. I hope someone sees this and takes it on. It would be very beneficial I think for people who like foxes but aren't really ready for one. As you said, there's many wolf-look-alike breeds, but no fox-look-alike breeds. I think it's definitely a cool idea worth looking into.

I always wondered what it'd be like to create my own dog breed. It takes years and years though, and I'm more into exotics than I am domestics. So I wouldn't be able to do it even though it would be really cool to do.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:17 pm

I can tell this is really thought-out. Are you sure this isn't something you could try in the future? It looks like you've put your heart and soul into this idea.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:38 pm

Would need to breed for narrower muzzled and smaller noses too. The wider muzzle and larger nose is one of the big give aways to the fox-ish colored dogs being dogs.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:14 am

Very cool project, hope it can be put into work one day.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
David492

Postby David492 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:36 pm

If I were to create a fox looking dog, I would first cross a preferably red norrbottenspets with a flop tail shiba or a red jindo, since shibas mostly have curled up tails while I've seen quite a lot of flop tailed jindos, and then maybe with a pomsky preferably red too, then see what the outcome is. I think all fox like dogs should be quite small, so one could live in a apartment without a problem. I think they'll look somewhat like a red fox, but since foxes are quite long, maybe we'll have to mix some welsh corgis or cardigans in there to make them actually look like foxes? I'm not into genetics so I don't know if this is even gonna work, but if it does, it'll be cool.

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”