https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Post here for food and snack ideas

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

snoball

Re: Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby snoball » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:30 am

hi ash :)

yup i asked Elina to reserve me a red one - thinking that there's been a bit of hint dropping all over these boards from me lol :icon-wink: - just waiting for her to tell me when i can have it :)

i can get hold of all the interior and exterior of whatever animal pretty easily icon-smile so i guess that i count myself really lucky in that respect but thankyou for the heads up --- might need to get another freezer --- the meat i get is killed and butchered that day - i pay the cost of whatever gets killed at abortoir prices - so it costs me for the animal before it's been split up - just cheaper that way and the farmer doesn't lose out either plus i always bung him some extra for taking time out to do it all for me leaving me with the job of packaging it all up into freezer bags ready for storage :mrgreen:

i was talking to one of my shooting friends ( goes on organised bird shoots) and he said that if i asked before he went then he'd try and get a couple for me --- was just thinking that it'd mix the proteins up a bit and provide something a bit different for them :mrgreen:

they all think that i'm nuts getting a fox - comments like wtf do you want one of them for n stuff --- i find it funny put simply a fox is just a collie with serious mental health issues -- collies are born with a screw loose and foxes are just that but more if what i've read is right and given that owners are like their animals then means i must by definition be proper nuts :icon-wink:

donna
AzureWolf

Postby AzureWolf » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Have a good food idea that is healthy and inexpensive. I have been taking chicken quarters or deer meat and mixing with carrots, brown rice, kale, potatoes and blueberries. I boil the chicken down in the rice then mix up a everything else and let it slow cook. I make a large pot that lasts a week. Each feeding I give only a handful of organic dried dog food. They love it and its doing wonders for their health. I have noticed their coats shed less, their skin is less dry and flaky and just all around better appearance and attitude. :D Its alot cheaper than spending $57.00 a week for a bag of good dog food. And Healthier too. It might now look the most appetizing. :D but they love it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:33 am

changed jake and dream's food to a high carb one - still putting the meat in it but there's more tinned and low grade biscuit in it.

the low grade stuff is high in carb content which is perfect for when i'm working my dogs - the meat content is there cos they like it - they actually don't need it but i include it at this time of year cos it gives a bit of summat different to their dinners :)
no point blaming the dog cos you tukd up ;)
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:31 pm

Got almost 3lbs of pork and about a pound of beef fat for the dogs at Weis for $3.99. It made 11 two-serving bags. The kids were very interested while I was cutting it up into portions, haha. I've been giving them raw bones/fat/meat a couple times a week for about a month now. Emo seems to especially enjoy it. She's more "wild", or I guess you would say less domesticated (but much more obedient :lol: ), than Conte is by a huge margin. Conte likes people food (as does Emo), not so much the raw bones and stuff.

On another note, I got a HUGE bag of Diamond Naturals dog food at Tractor Supply on discount because the bag had a tear in it. I got a 35lb bag for $28. I know some people have had problems with Diamond, but I haven't noticed any changes or problems and it's been about three weeks since I started feeding them that. I normally feed them Taste of the Wild and Simply Nourish.

Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:48 pm

Got this today at the store:

I looked it up before buying and pork neck bones seem to be a pretty common staple in raw diets. Emo LOVES the raw food I've been giving her. Of course, it's just a small thing I give them daily along with their regular dry food (and some of my food, haha).

Also, I've noticed a huge lack of these kinds of things (pig's feet, necks, fat, knuckles, etc.) at the butcher section of my local stores. My parents say it's because this time of year people are using those parts to cook holiday foods that aren't made year-round...I don't know if that's true but it seems plausible.

There were only two packages of those necks at the store today, and one pack of pig's feet that were semi-prepared for human consumption (yuck!). This pack I got is actually for cooking but obviously I bought it to be dog food.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Dog food: chicken gizzards and hearts, pig's feet, pork liver, beef fat and pork neck. Yum! Cost me about $8.08 for 5 1/3lbs of meat.

This is all just for Emo, and she loves it! Conte can't handle raw meat/bones.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:14 am

juska,

I use to shop at "bottom dollar" store. they use to have a lot of good sales. now they all closed icon-sad

they always had the chicken gizzards/hearts there. I bought them for my foxes/coons. my dogs won't eat them.
now, that bottom dollar closed, I hope to find a store that sells the gizards.

bottom dollar also had pork necks and pork hocks. I was Leary of the pork necks, looked the bones were smaller.
my dogs seemed to do OK with the hocks.

I use to get beef liver for all the critters. I would feed it raw, they all loved it. now I need to find a store sells
this stuff reasonably cheap.

is there a pig farm farm near you? you can see if they have any hocks or necks, maybe they can sell or give you some :shrug:

I think I found a new treat idea. but, I think it needs fine tuned, let me know what you think.
here it is:
I usually buy chicken thighs from sams club by the box (cheaper that way) I cook it, then remove all the bones.
I then simmer the bones for about a day or so until it is really soft. (these bones contain a lot of marrow)
once it is soft, I cool it, then blend it to a thick liquid. I then grind beef liver add it to the bone mixture.
add flour, flax seed, coconut oil. bake it for about half hour. (depending on the amount of flour added)
it comes out like a cake, but, a little harder. I use that mixture for treats. all the animals love it.

now, need ideas to alter this. the last batch I made, it was softer (less flour), but, they still liked it.
what else can I add that is good for the animals?

thank you for sharing your info..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
MommyJen

Postby MommyJen » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:22 pm

I feed both grain free kibble and raw. Alot of info says not to combine them because the two types digest differently, so even though I have NEVER had an issue with it, I try to space the two feedings out a bit. My dogs get turkey necks, chicken necks, chicken quarters, backs, whole fish, beef liver, beef heart and tripe. I change up their food so often that they never really know what they are gonna get!
I vary kibble also feeding Taste of the Wild(all flavors), Nutrisource Grain Free, Evo and because I own a pet supply store they also get the expired food, whatever that may be. Thankfully they have "stomachs of steel" since their diet is so varied and I never have diarrhea or vomiting(knock on wood).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Jen,

thank you for sharing your information. I feed mine taste of the wild too.
however, I cook their chicken. Guess I am paranoid using small bones and raw chicken.

mine like the liver and organ meat.that I will feed raw.

sounds like your kids get fed well though..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”