PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Post here for food and snack ideas

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Viltor

Re: Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby Viltor » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Kaiser has become a banana theif. He is tall enough to get bananas off the counter (that are against the wall), but he seems to have learned that stealing bananas is bad, but they are good if we give them to him.

My dog loves some odd things, including freshly chopped onions, yet he hates carrots.
His favorite treats are charki puffs and vanilla cookies (Dog treats, not human vanilla cookies).

Recently my dad gave him a small part of his blueberry scone and Kaiser was laser locked onto the scone after that.
Kaiser loves popcorn (low or no salt, no butter) and is addicted to goldfish (from pepperidge farm, not living ones)

All the human food is my dad spoiling him, I keep asking my dad not to feed him it but...

I am having problems with kaiser eating regular food now. He had been on Royal Canin but he suddenly stopped eating it except when he gets really hungry... Ive tried innova prime, but I think he is turned off by the tiny kibble size. Im trying blue wilderness, but unfortunately, these also seem to have tiny kibble, and I am also concerned that it may have too much protein and cause him to grow faster and cause bone and joint problems.

Btw, thank you so much for that link Ciaobella, I was wondering about all that when trying to figure out the food for my pup.
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:33 pm

Is he free fed or fed at breakfast and dinner time?
~RabbleFox
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Freefed. Im starting to think he just likes to eat in the evening, as he scarfed down the entire bowl as we were finishing dinner.

Also, anyone know why a dog will push at its food with their snout? He will push the bowl around too like he is trying to cache it.
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:58 pm

I generally hear that free feeding isn't very consistent for dogs. He possibly isn't not enjoying his food, but rather just eating at weird times. Pepper is fed breakfast and dinner. It is easier to control portions and to monitor his potty needs with a feeding schedule. As your dog is a puppy, free feeding can continue for a time but as he matures it would probably be a good idea to get him on a schedule.

Pepper doesn't push his food around but then again his food is eaten up the minute its in the bowl! Because your dog is free fed this could be a kind of cacheing or merely just playing. Its hard to say!
~RabbleFox
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:21 am

Pushing at it with their nose is their way to try and bury it. Quasi would do that and if blankets wee near actually nose the blankets over it. He wasn't hungry but wanted to save it in case he was hungry later.

It might not be a bad idea to have him checked out. As Quasi's heart started to bug him he first went off food in the mornings but would still eat in the evenings. All kinds of things could cause that and could very well be nothing as far as health goes but any sudden changes should be looked into. He's a young dog right? Maybe he is just not growing so much right now so needs less.
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:06 am

Quite possible. He was growing like a weed for a bit and it seems like he slowed down in growing, and I think it fits the time frame as to when he stopped being a bottomless pit. He is almost 9 months old at the moment and has plenty of energy, so I dont think it is a health issue.

He eats in the morning, just not very much (at least since we added in the new food) He doesnt seem to like Royal Canin anymore, so trying Innova Prime and Blue Wilderness... I just wish there were larger kibble bits in them

It is a long story, but he wouldnt eat the innova prime when there was the royal canin mixed in, at least not at first... So I figured he didnt like it, so I grabbed some blue wilderness to try, and thats when I realized he liked the prime, just not with the royal canin mixed in.

The other day I came into the breakfast room and found his dog bowl was under a chair.
He pushed it out of the kitchen and under a chair. He is an odd one lmao.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:50 am

Emo does the opposite of trying to "bury" or hide the bowl. She pulls it with her foot out from under the side table that their food and water dishes are located beneath (so no one trips on them, and there's plenty of headroom in there). She likes to pull it out into the middle of the entryway into the kitchen. Perhaps I need to get a rubber mat to put under their bowls, but then she might spill it trying to pull it out...she's done that before when she tried to pull the bowl over the threshold into the living room :lol:

The reason she does it, I believe, is because she likes to lay down, with the bowl as close to her face as possible, so she's comfortable when she eats. Max used to do the same thing, only he would scooch closer to the bowl rather than moving the bowl itself. What's funny is she won't eat a whole lot of food in one sitting, either. Max was the only dog I've had who would eat a good amount of dog food out of the bowl at a time. Emo and Gum just take a few mouthfuls and then go about their business. So generally we just keep a little food in the bowl at all times instead of feeding them at specific points in the day.

I've been feeding them Simply Nourish for quite a while now, I get it from PetSmart with a manufacturer's coupon that gets me $10 off any size bag. The dogs LOVE it, and they won't eat the garbage my parents used to feed them anymore.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:35 pm

The rubber doesnt work against a determined dog, all it does is cause a mess! I have big steel bowls with rubber along the outside edge... It has caused it to flip with his incessant pushing and spill dog food all over.

My dog does the same thing for water. He stands while eating, but to drink he plops down right into it face first. Sometimes he will fall asleep where he layed down, and I get to see him in amusing positions. He hasnt done it lately, but Im on the look out if he repeats my favorite one. He was on his side with his entire right half of his head in the water bowl.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:24 pm

Just posting the review for Simply Nourish (the food I feed my dogs) and some comparisons to other brands, like the junk my parents were feeding them before I took over their diet plan. Just to show that a lot of the "big name" brands aren't what they're cracked up to be, and suggestions for better brands.

At PetSmart, we're taught the "good, better, best" hierarchy for dog food and other products (like flea and tick treatments) based on the quality and price, so we can help people find what they need, based on their budget and their pet's needs. I guess that's coming out here as well :lol:

My dog's food: Simply Nourish (4 stars)

One star (not recommended): Beneful Chef Michael's Kibbles 'n' Bits Pedigree Purina Dog Chow

Two stars: (not recommended) Bil Jac Diamond Hill's Science Diet Iams Pro-Active Health Purina Pro Plan Rachael Ray Nutrish

Three stars: (recommended) Eukanuba Authority Nature's Recipe Royal Canin Wellness Dog Food

Four stars: (highly recommended) Addiction Avoderm Canidae Fromm Gold Nutritionals Innova

Five stars: (enthusiastically recommended) Blue Buffalo Wilderness Castor and Pollux Oganix Earthborn EVO Innova Prime/Grain Free Timeberwolf Organics Wellness Core

My source for these ratings is The Dog Food Advisor. The creator of this site, Mike Sagman, is adamant about sharing nutritional quality and spreading the word about actually knowing what is in your dog's food and making smart choices on what to feed your pet.

He says on his "About" page:
In 2007, I lost a wonderful little shelter dog named Penny to my unquestioned trust of commercial pet food.

So, after that heartbreaking experience I made it my personal goal to never again let anything like that happen to any dog in my care.

And I’d like to help you make sure what happened to Penny could never happen to your dog either.

I really like this site and I try to inform people as often as possible to not trust big brands blindly.

And, of course, every dog is different and may have adverse reactions to any of these foods. But generally, the higher quality foods will give your pet a better quality of life.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Viltor

Postby Viltor » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:37 am

The breeders had my leonberger on Royal Canin, but before too long he got sick of it (I blame my dad feeding him any human food that the dog wanted with a little puppy eyes begging). We tried innova and evo, and he seems to like evo the best. Just my experience.
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Many breeders start their pups off on Royal Canin :)
snoball

Postby snoball » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:44 am

here we go - i hate prepping jake's dinner lol :)

into the mixing bowl goes 1/8th kilo bakers puppy biscuit added to that is one full tin of pedigree chunks in gravy, next in goes 1/8th kilo chicken that's been liquidised with a cupfull of pigs blood now get mixing :) and pour the whole lot into the dogbowl and watch it disappear lol :)

i feed once a day normally mid afternoon between sessions :)

the reason for the puppy biscuit is that the adult biscuit particles are too big lol :) i've got adult biscuit in the past and ended chopping ti up for him lol :) also there are more particles per kilo in puppy biscuit than there are in adult biscuit so he's eating more of the good stuff per bowl.

treats -- i don't carry them when i'm working a dog - don't believe in all of that tbh - i do give them pedigree treats like rodeos and markies and bonio and sometimes i'll give him a chew shoe to kill.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:57 am

Just curious, why the pig blood? Any reason behind it, or did you just try it one day?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
snoball

Postby snoball » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:01 am

the pig blood is easy for me to get hold of.

the red blood cells carry oxygen to the muscles so that they can carry on working without fatigue setting in as quickly as it would without them.

sometimes i put pigs liver in there again easy for me to get hold of --- please bear in mind that all the meat products that i get are extremely fresh as my job requires me to be around livestock all day everyday and a perk of the job is being able to have the freshest meat available - you don't get fresher than field caught and butchered in the farmhouse.

meat done this way doesn't need an abortoir cos it's for farm consumption.

donna
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:18 am

Cool. It sure would be nice to have access to fresh meat like that. There are some people who get meat from farmers/butchers for their exotics, and that's a great situation to be in. Whenever you wind up getting your fox (I think you wanted a red?) organ meats are very good and healthy for them.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”