Skunk and dog

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Skunk and dog

Postby Tracie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:30 pm

My dog Freckles just got sprayed by a skunk. :(

But anyways,
I heard you just get a bunch of tomato juice and basically give them a bath in it??

Any answers would be nice,
~ Tracie
Current Critters: 1 Ferret, 2 dogs, 1 cat, about 40 fish, and 2 rats. Future goal: A fox.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:42 am

It's the acid in the tomatoes that helps so you can use vinegar instead just rinse it out well so the vinegar wont hurt.

Oddly Pua spilt her vinegar and bathed in it tonight so got a real bath after. Wont hurt long as rinsed out.

Postby dragon_lady » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:20 am

Natures miracle also has a great skunk smell remover. I know it works and skunkhaven.net has a recipe to make some too.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:48 am

tomatoe juice or any type of tomatoes don't work.
my dogs use to get sprayed by skunks alot and I tried it many times, and it never worked.

as DL mentioned, the "natures miracle" works, some farm stores sell stuff just for that. I think if is called "skunk odor removal" might be the same sutff DL is talking about.

also, I have found that vanilla helps. but, the product DL mentioned is the best.

also, wetting the dog with water or anything else mixed, sometimes makes it worse.

I can relate to that odor. sometimes it is really bad, so bad, it even annoys the dog :lol:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Postby dragon_lady » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:52 pm

also, I have heard washing with Dawn Dish soap helps keep the smell from comming back as it is supposed to cut the oil that holds it to the skin and hair.

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”