PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

American Eskimo Dogs

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FoxAdorer817

American Eskimo Dogs

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:34 pm

Well...it's the first time I've been to this forum... domestics really seem more foreign to me than exotics..and I've never had a cat or a dog either before, but I was just curious about the american eskimo dog- if you know anything about them, I'd like to know. Such as physical characteristics, or personality. Just whatever information you know, please share.

There, my shortest post ever. :lol: :roll:

Ok, thank you! ;)
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
BB

Postby BB » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:35 am

:lol: :lol: Congratulations!! :lol: :lol: :frog:
Planeguy

Postby Planeguy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:50 am

My latest dog is an Eskimo mix. I've had him for just over a year, and he's a terrific little dog, but extreme high energy.

He came from rescue and I was told he was Eskimo/Sheltie mix. I see plenty of Eski by size and shape of body, tail, and ears, but the black and white as well as the energy level looks more like Border Collie, although the coloring might just be a recessive trait.

From what I've read, Eskies come in small, medium, and larger sub-breeds. Buster is about 25 pounds, so he probably falls in the medium category. They're one of the Nordic breeds actually originating in Germany rather than from the "Eskimos".

When I saw him, he looked so miserable and completely forlorn, I fell in love with him on sight and couldn't leave him even with two other big dogs at home. He seemed to be fairly well fed, but otherwise neglected and ignored with giant balls of matted hair all over him. He freaked out when I first brought him home when he got the double-barreled-invasive-nose-inquisition from my other two big dogs. He was fine in an hour or so of curling up in a tight ball in my lap. By the next day they were all friends, he's particularly chummy with Tonka even though Buster is less than a quarter his size.

When I got him home, I managed to trim out enough of the mats for him to be comfortable for the winter and then decided to give him the crew cut this past spring to even him out. His fur grew back at an astounding rate, it's super dense and double layered. I'm prepared for some serious shedding next year and I'm no stranger to that with two long-haired German Shepherds.

Buster is a super affectionate dog, he's very much bonded to me, but he likes everyone. Along with the high energy, he likes to bark, and that's something I'm trying to break him of. He's also an escape artist, he can go through holes a mouse would have trouble with. Standing still, he can jump straight up as high as my head, yet he's never tried to jump OVER the fence for some reason.

So, for a short summary, if you pick an Eski, expect an extremely energetic dog with a happy disposition, but be ready for perpetual shedding even with regular brushing. I would expect it to be a good experience.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:37 am

Ohk, cool; thank you! :D
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”