All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

distemper shot and spay question

Postby pat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:43 pm

I need to get anna marie fixed.

I called the vet a few weeks ago, and they told me, it she has to have her first series of distemper shot, wait a month, then a second, then come back again to get her spayed.

she had a distemper in september of last year. but, supposedly, that was her first series. I forgot to bring her back.

honestly, I don't remember having two series of distempers for my other animals in the past.

anyway, I called, animal friends and can get her fixed really cheap, because of low income. I explained to them what the vet told me.
they told me, they can give her the required shots at the time of the spay. when I asked why my vet told anna has to wait a month for the second shot. they said" that must be the their procedures"

so, just what is the correct answer on this shot?
is it really necessary to have a dog spayed?
why can't I get the shot at the same time of the spay or after her spay.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:01 pm

Because the shots are unhealthy for them and only to be given to a healthy dog. They are more likely to have a reaction if you give a shot at the same time as the spay. The shot taxes the body and immune system and so does the surgery.

That said the give shots and fix an animal all the time though it's getting less common, but it does increase the chances of something going wrong.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:28 pm

where I work some of the dr's will give vaccines at the same time as surgery, and some wont. I wouldnt mind my pet getting them at the same time if they are healthy. I never saw a problem with it before so it wouldnt bother me at all.
You want to spay to reduce the chance of pyometra (uterine infection) and no one wants to deal with the blood every six months unless breeding. Personal choice though. Later in life they can get mammary tumors too. I see more problems with an older intact female then with older intact males.
You most lilely did the series of vaccines with your other pets and just dont remember. Unless they get a booster 3-4 weeks after getting the first set its as good as not vaccinating at all. The body needs the booster to produce the correct immune response. Some diseases do not require this, such as rabies.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:22 am

appreciate the replys.

I talked to the breeder yesterday, and he said, anna got the series of distemper+other combined boosters against disease as a pup.
(about 1-1/2 year ago)

I called my vet yesterday and and told them this.
but, they still insisted she needed the distemper series shots.
when I asked why.
her explaintion was
"to protect anna from any type disease during surgery, and to protect other dogs there"

I was reading alittle online about distemper, and several sites claimed, that some vets tell people they need distemper every year in conjuction with other shots. this is not always true. I have learned that also, that too many shots are not good either.

actually, I always thought that distemper was more for puppies, than adult dogs. puppies are more suseptable to distemper than adult dogs.

I really want to get anna fixed as soon as possible. I should have done it a year ago, like I normally do with my pets, but, money is very tight.

I am mailing in the application today to animal friends for all the cats that need fixed and anna. the hell with the vet. their loss, as far as I am concerned. the cost at the the animal friends is about 40.00 per animal, so I guess I will just wait it out.

would like to know more about the distemper. maybe she won't need another distemper when I take her to animal friends.
should I request it or not?

thanks again

the vet wants about 350.00 just for anna.

suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:09 pm

I take my cats to be altered at a program called S.N.A.P. (spay/neuter assistance program) located in Madison. It costs me $30 a cat with distemper included. They give distemper at the same time as the surgery so since you are taking Anna to a similar program they will porbably do the same thing.
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:50 pm

suki's mom,

animal friends told me, they will give the needed shots at the time of spay/neurter. I just wanted to get anna done faster. but, for 30.00 or 40.00 I will wait till feb.

I need to take about 4 cats also. so I will take everyone at the same time.

I am glad there are programs out there like that. hopefully, it will encourage other people to get their animals fixed.

the price is really good, alot better than paying tons of money to the vet. my vet quoted me a price of about 1200.00 for one dog, 3 male cats and 1 female cat.
they wanted to do the series of shots abaout a month or more before the surgery.

no wonder there are alot of animals out there that are still intact :roll:

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Unless you got her after she was 16 weeks old the vacciens series wasnt finished. They need a series of at leasttwo and the last one has to be given at 16 weeks or older.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:20 pm

lg,

thanks for that info, now I can't remember how old she was when I got her. she may of been 16wks, not sure. I can find out.

here is what the breeder told me:
I give all of my pups two shots before they leave here. These shots are the same as the Ft Dodge Puppy Shot. They cover six dieses including distemper and corona virus

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Oh, and almost all vets wont count vaccines given by breeders. Alot of times they dont give them at the correct intervals, or they could have allowed the vaccine to get to the wrong temperature. It happens all the time so they just have a broad policy of not accepting them. Its pretty standard what the your vet suggests but just a pain and costs money.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:01 pm

lg,

I can understand that the vets won't take a breeders word for it.
many can say the pup had shots, but didn't.

what is the normal for distemper shots? every year?
how about the parvo?

I thought puppies were more subsceptive to distember.

when I was a kid, I remember have a young dog, that did have distemper. it was not a pretty site, and a very bad experience for me.

I really don't hear too much about distemper in dogs.

anyway, really appreciate your info

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 pm

yup, they still get distemper, my one dog had it, pretty similiar to parvo but with neurologic issues.
Older dogs dont usually get either, btu thats mostly because of vaccines. I did see a 4 year old get parvo last year after they brought a pup home with it.

I dont know what other places do but we do 3 year vaccines on the rabies and the distemper parvo 5 way one. The first ones only last a year though.

Alot of it has to do with AHHA accreditdation. the AHHA people come in and do random checks and if you dont vaccinate or suggest correctly they pull your credit as a clinic. Sooooo they really have to go by a set standard even if they dont fully agree.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:54 am

lg,

I understand what you are saying.

really glad you told me about the 3 year vac.

my vet just called me, and said, he will do the series vacine now, then in two weeks, he will spay her. then when she gets her sutures out, he will give her the second series.
guess I can have her spayed in two weeks if I want to spend the money.

right now, my concern is, if she could be pregnant. because she has been getting out of the fence at night, and I didn't even know it.

she may of only been roaming in the corn fields.

I guess, I don't want to get her spayed if she is pregnant and further along..

oh, decisions, decisions :?

suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:10 pm

As far as spaying a pregnant animal, that is a very controversal subject, but in most instances I am not opposed to it. But if you are going to do it I would do it as soon as possible.
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:26 pm

sukis mom,

that is what I am thinking. I really don't think she is, but, there is still that chance she could be. if she is, it could only be within two weeks.

what I am not sure of, is when the appointment will be made by animal frinds. they said, they will set up the appointment in about two weeks after they receive the application (which was sent yesterday)

or, I can take her to the vets most likely the same day I make the phone call for appointment. then two weeks after that, they will spay her.

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:21 pm

spaying her even if 6 weeks pregnant, isnt a big deal. They arent ready to be born untill 9 weeks and are very under developed. If you are worried about it being painfull for the puppies even if there are any, I wouldnt. They are under anethesia just like the mother dog and they would pass away before the anethesia would wear off, so even IF there were pups in there it would be much ore humane then even regular euthanasia.
Plus if it truly takes that long you can always cancel if they can palpate puppies. If she is two weeks preggo now, and it gets done in 2 weeks the embryos would be so small the vets wouldnt know untill they spayed her, very tiny things.
BUT if you want pups then wait it out. Chances arent that great that she is pregnant if you havent seen a stray male around, they make themselves pretty known when there are females in heat around. :lol:

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”