https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Caucasian Shepherd/Caucasian Ovcharka

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Re: Caucasian Shepherd/Caucasian Ovcharka

Postby caninesrock » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:51 pm

What an adorable puppy. ^^
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:58 pm

@Esquire Caucasians, do you breed your dogs for working?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
EsqCaucasians

Postby EsqCaucasians » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:20 pm

My dogs seriously guard homes and families from bad humans. The most important job for a CO in my opinion.

Splashstorm wrote:@Esquire Caucasians, do you breed your dogs for working?
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:43 pm

EsqCaucasians wrote:My dogs seriously guard homes and families from bad humans. The most important job for a CO in my opinion.

Are they aggressive towards any stranger that comes on the property or are they able to sense who is and who isn't a threat?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

EsqCaucasians

Postby EsqCaucasians » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Generally speaking, all strangers are kept out unless I am right there.

caninesrock wrote:
EsqCaucasians wrote:My dogs seriously guard homes and families from bad humans. The most important job for a CO in my opinion.

Are they aggressive towards any stranger that comes on the property or are they able to sense who is and who isn't a threat?
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:43 pm

EsqCaucasians wrote:Generally speaking, all strangers are kept out unless I am right there.

Oh. Ok. But they wouldn't like go up and attack a person though just because they wondered near your property. Right? Just bark unless the person actually does something threatening.

EsqCaucasians

Postby EsqCaucasians » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:26 pm

CO didn't work for the Soviet government as bark and bluff dogs. CO keep strangers out of the protected area. That's what they do and they have teeth to do it. I don't allow my dogs to bite people "near" my property. But a person breaking into my house, even if the person smiles, looks friendly, and says hello doggie doggie is going to be bitten regardless of whether they do something overtly "threatening". CO, at least mine, are serious follow through territorial guard dogs. They protect and keep strangers OUT of their fenced area and the interior of the house and barn here and keep strangers out of the homes and yards of my clients. A dog from my line stopped a home invasion not long ago. The stranger was attempting to enter the door of the house while the owner was home. The dog didn't just bark and bluff or wait for the stranger to stab the owner before taking action.

That's really all I have to say on the topic. Thanks.

caninesrock wrote:
EsqCaucasians wrote:Generally speaking, all strangers are kept out unless I am right there.

Oh. Ok. But they wouldn't like go up and attack a person though just because they wondered near your property. Right? Just bark unless the person actually does something threatening.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:20 pm

I didn't mean someone breaking into the house or coming on the property. I meant like someone just walking by in the neighborhood on the sidewalk in front of the house for example. Or like if you invited a friend over to the house for the first time and the dogs had never seen that person before. Or like if a person comes to the house trying to sell something,like girl scouts with their cookies,etc.

EsqCaucasians

Postby EsqCaucasians » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 am

People on the sidewalk are safe because of fences so of course all the dog will get to do is bark. Without fences the CO could well consider the piece of land right in front of the house to be protected territory and act beyond barking. Friends don't walk in without me the owner present. Dogs react to anyone at the door but the door is closed unless I open it so the Girl Scouts and their cookies are safe too but would not be if the door were left open because there is no difference between a thief walking into a house uninvited or a Scout walking through a door uninvited - it is still the same - stranger entering protected territory.

Strangers, of any kind, are kept out of protected territory unless over ridden by owner being physically present. That statement really does answer the question and all proposed hypotheticals. The dogs must be kept separate from the street, the sidewalk, the meter reader, the Avon lady, delivery people, JWs, the cookie selling Girl Scouts by fences and physically present owner. Friends must be invited in with owner present and active. New friends require an introduction supervised by owner.

caninesrock wrote:I didn't mean someone breaking into the house or coming on the property. I meant like someone just walking by in the neighborhood on the sidewalk in front of the house for example. Or like if you invited a friend over to the house for the first time and the dogs had never seen that person before. Or like if a person comes to the house trying to sell something,like girl scouts with their cookies,etc.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:17 am

EsqCaucasians wrote:People on the sidewalk are safe because of fences so of course all the dog will get to do is bark. Without fences the CO could well consider the piece of land right in front of the house to be protected territory and act beyond barking. Friends don't walk in without me the owner present. Dogs react to anyone at the door but the door is closed unless I open it so the Girl Scouts and their cookies are safe too but would not be if the door were left open because there is no difference between a thief walking into a house uninvited or a Scout walking through a door uninvited - it is still the same - stranger entering protected territory.

Strangers, of any kind, are kept out of protected territory unless over ridden by owner being physically present. That statement really does answer the question and all proposed hypotheticals. The dogs must be kept separate from the street, the sidewalk, the meter reader, the Avon lady, delivery people, JWs, the cookie selling Girl Scouts by fences and physically present owner. Friends must be invited in with owner present and active. New friends require an introduction supervised by owner.

Ok. Thank you for answering my questions. So this is a breed that is required to be fenced in at all times then unless in the presence of the owner? Not that I would let my dogs run free unsupervised,but some people do. It was really a problem in my old neighborhood. I take it Dog Parks which are full of strangers and strange dogs roaming free (not counting the perimetere fence) are out then? Or are they only protective in their home territory?

EsqCaucasians

Postby EsqCaucasians » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:47 am

Fence control, leash control, voice control. Mostly protective of their home turf but a strange rude dog can meet with the power of a wolf slayer. For me off leash dog parks are a no fly zone after puppyhood except maybe with older, very well known to me dogs. But then, I'm a seat belt, no texting while driving driver too so...

caninesrock wrote:
Ok. Thank you for answering my questions. So this is a breed that is required to be fenced in at all times then unless in the presence of the owner? Not that I would let my dogs run free unsupervised,but some people do. It was really a problem in my old neighborhood. I take it Dog Parks which are full of strangers and strange dogs roaming free (not counting the perimetere fence) are out then? Or are they only protective in their home territory?
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:04 pm

EsqCaucasians wrote:Fence control, leash control, voice control. Mostly protective of their home turf but a strange rude dog can meet with the power of a wolf slayer. For me off leash dog parks are a no fly zone after puppyhood except maybe with older, very well known to me dogs. But then, I'm a seat belt, no texting while driving driver too so

Ok. Thank you. So this wouldn't be a good breed of dog for someone who lives in a big city then?

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:14 pm

It's good to know Caucasians still act very primitive-like. That's what drew me to them; the fact that they have not yet been watered down like Great Danes and Mastiffs and other dogs who used to be impressive guardians.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
luccistar
Banned
Banned

Postby luccistar » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:10 am

My aunt who lives in Romania has 2 caucasian shepherds :) One's 4-5 years and the other ones 1-2 years old. They are HUGE but so fluffy and gorgeous! and they are really tame and obedient too!

Here are some pics of them
The brown/black one is Kobi and the golden one is Corleone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anda aka Luccistar
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:46 pm

@luccistar:Beautiful dogs. ^^

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”