https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Alaskan Klee Kai

All Breed of Dogs

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Re: Importer/exporter

Postby caninesrock » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Awesome. Don't forget to keep us updated on how it goes when she gets there. ^^
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Elina

Postby Elina » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:33 pm

You will all be flooded with photos when I get home from collecting her tomorrow :-D.
I can't believe I will FINALLY have an Alaskan Klee Kai after waiting more then half my life for one icon-smile .
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Elina wrote:You will all be flooded with photos when I get home from collecting her tomorrow :-D.
I can't believe I will FINALLY have an Alaskan Klee Kai after waiting more then half my life for one icon-smile .

Yes. Photos and maybe videoes too. "pop" Lol. XD How many years have you been waiting for one? :lol:
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Elina

Postby Elina » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:05 pm

15 so quite a loooooong time.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:31 pm

That so excited for you! I remember how much I was looking forward to Jones arriving in the mail. I couldn't sleep the night before. You probably are just as if not more excited.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Elina wrote:15 so quite a loooooong time.

Oh wow. How come you couldn't get one before now?

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:44 am

Definitely keep us posted! What an exciting time for you!
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Elina

Postby Elina » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:07 am

caninesrock wrote:
Elina wrote:15 so quite a loooooong time.

Oh wow. How come you couldn't get one before now?

In short finding the right dog.

This year alone 3 dogs have fallen thorough or had something wrong with them.

There are breeders in the UK but all of the dogs in the UK are pretty much as interbred as can be with the lowest COI being around 34% and I wanted a dog with a lower chance of genetic defects popping up due to the same relatives repeating too often in the pedigree. I also wanted a toy sized dog and I also wanted perfect markings, to not be related to the UK dogs, if it were a boy to have everything in place so to say and with either sex to be breed/show quality. . . Yeah I'm a little fussy. . . :red-face:

I hope to get Diamond a boyfriend when she is settled as I want to have a totally different blood line to everyone else over here.

It was also hard to find a breeder willing to ship as there is allot of paperwork and extra hassle compared to shipping inside the US.

Anyhow why am I sat at my PC you ask when my little fur ball is here? Well. . .
The airport just called me and said she arrived in 1 piece HOWEVER they cannot release her to me as the vet gave her an un-approved worming treatment, or more it is not approved over here. They are giving her an approved treatment now and they can release her to me in 24 hours.

The man said they should make a list of the non-approved ones but apparently there is none and we were just unlucky.

I can't even meet her today icon-sad .
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:02 pm

But you will see her soon! You will have to post lots of pictures! :)

I very much admire the lengths you went through to get a genetically sound dog. Introducing new genes into the UK can hardly be a bad thing! If you want to breed, then you need to picky. Thats when you know you are a good breeder.
~RabbleFox
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Oh. Ok. So you wanted one good for breeding and not just to import one as a pet. That does have alot of extra considerations compared to just getting one purely for pet purposes.

Sorry they wouldn't let you take her home today. :/ But atleast you get to meet her tomorrow.

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Why are the dogs in the Uk all inbred??
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:06 am

I watched a really cool documentary on dog breed. It actually took place in the UK but was referring to some small population breeds around the world too.

Dogs in the UK are inbred simply because their is a smaller gene pool. (Less land = less breeders = less dogs to breed = less genetic variation). It is kind of a process to import a dog, as we have seen by this post alone! And sometimes you get your dog and it isn't what you exactly hoped for (not to breed standard/not breeding quality/"The parts aren't all there"). Elina has done her research and painstakingly choose this little girl so I doubt there will be an issue.

Dog breeding is really a science! Its all in the genes and when the gene pool gets really limited, mutations can occur. In King Charles Spaniels, there have been recent reports of mild to moderate seizures. It doesn't show up until the dog is older so a breeder shows it, it gets awarded ribbons for ticking all the boxes on the breed standard, breeds it, and yields puppies that are affected on accident. The puppies are then sold to pet homes who become devastated to find out later in life that their doggy companion has an expensive and painful disease. The puppies sold to show homes are shown, awarded ribbons for being the epitome of the breed standard, bred, and then yield more puppies with the negative trait.

Here's the documentary: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/pedigree-dogs-exposed/

Anyone who is thinking of getting a purebred dog, is a breeder, or just a dog lover in general should really watch.
~RabbleFox
Elina

Postby Elina » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Today my 15 year long wait finally ended. Meet Diamond the toy size Alaskan Klee Kai:
Introducing DIAMOND!!! by Flashman foxes, on Flickr

On Wednesday Diamond left her home in Kansas, flew to Colorado then down to Texas where she spent the night then to England on Friday. Sadly I could not collect her on Friday as I got a phone call saying that she had the wrong worming treatment so she would have to have that and be collected 24 hours later so I collected her today at 12:55pm.

Though I had seen lots of videos of her and photos nothing prepares you for the surge of excitement you feel the second you see your dog for the first time in the flesh. . . Especially not when you have waited as many years as I have. The second Mel brought her out I could have jumped for joy but I didn't as Diamond looked quite worried and I had been told she was very skittish in kennels.

Diamond has not even been home for 24 hours and she had warmed up to all of us, even the foxes which I did not think would happen as Klee Kai, like Huskies have a high prey drive but no, not Diamond. The second Diamond saw Sapphire the arctic fox she ran up to her and kisses her! Right on the nose! icon-smile

Earlier I look Diamond for a short walk and she kept looking up at me and smiling. I love her so much!

Now just to sort out her gas haha. From the moment we met her till. . . Well now she seems to be passing wind all the time and it's a bit cold to have the windows open :lol2:. I am sure it is just from all the stress though.

Eeeek! I am just so happy!!

Introducing DIAMOND!!! by Flashman foxes, on Flickr
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Oh my goodness! She is beautiful!

Excellent markings. And well worth the wait. I'm glad she is getting along with all your other animals friends. I would think that she should stop being so... uhhh... gassy any minute now. She is a little dog! You are going to have to post more pictures and updates, I think!
~RabbleFox
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Gas could be a combo of stress and the recent worming. Glad she's finally home and fits right in.

Return to “DOGS (Domestic)”