PLEASE READ

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

PLEASE READ

Postby pat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:34 am

This forum is intended to for health, medical or behavior problems.

THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A LICENSE VET TREATMENT.

NO ONE IS HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR RESPONSES.

Any answers are only suggestions.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Tosh

Re: PLEASE READ

Postby Tosh » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:20 am

Hi Pat I have 2 6 week old male raccoons. I've had them just over 2 weeks now, and they have done well. Last night my best eater declined his bedtime feeding, then had extremely runny stool. This morning he again refused to eat. I haven't changed anything, other than my 14 and 12 year old nieces were over yesterday afternoon and I let them see the boys. I managed to at least get 2 tablespoons in him this morning, but I am worried. The breeder told me to start deworming on Monday when they are 7 weeks old. The other one is completely fine. I'm just needing guidance since the breeder has not responded.
raccoonwhisperer

Postby raccoonwhisperer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Tosh wrote:Hi Pat I have 2 6 week old male raccoons. I've had them just over 2 weeks now, and they have done well. Last night my best eater declined his bedtime feeding, then had extremely runny stool. This morning he again refused to eat. I haven't changed anything, other than my 14 and 12 year old nieces were over yesterday afternoon and I let them see the boys. I managed to at least get 2 tablespoons in him this morning, but I am worried. The breeder told me to start deworming on Monday when they are 7 weeks old. The other one is completely fine. I'm just needing guidance since the breeder has not responded.

you may want to treat them for coccidiosis, it can start with diarrhea and it can kill them. you may also want to have a fecal stool done by your vet, this will tell if they have parasites. i'm a raccoon rehabber so not sure what breeders do for them.
Devliniam

Postby Devliniam » Thu May 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Dear wonderful people, I found a young racoon in my front yard. Her eyes were just in the process of opening: one eye open, the other not quite. now they're both open so I'm guessing she's between 2 and 3 probably three weeks old. It took me a little bit to get the right formula and equipment cbs then the hang of feeding. Once that happened she ate vigorously to the point where it was coming out her nose. I've since read about and learned about this now and try to prevent that from happening however I'm thinking she already has got an infection, as she just refused her afternoon feeding. I'm writing to ask what kind of antibiotic should she get. I have ceflexin from when my dog got sick.
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu May 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Hello! If there is an infection, it's in the upper respiratory now. Dr. Hines says this situation kills more babies than starvation or malnutrition.
I cannot guess as to the dosing on someone so small. I don't know where you live, but if there is a trustworthy rehabber in your area, take her there as quickly as possible. If you live within 500 miles of Youngstown, OH - send me a PM, I'll help.
Devliniam

Postby Devliniam » Thu May 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Thank you Ana. I live in Wi, right around 500 mileaway. I've tried for hours and have nearly 15 phone numbers on the list of places and people I've called to help take her so she can eventually get back to the wild. (And that was yesterday. BEFORE she got sick) Dnr, Wi wildlife rescue, different vets, sheriff dept. UW vet school are included in that list. Nobody does mammals. Mostly it's birds around here. My sis is a doc in Mi, she said Amoxicillin for upper Resp. But how will i get some. Thank you for being willing to help, Ana. I feel like I'm all alone here, fighting this battle for her life
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 18, 2017 10:26 pm

Fish mox but I don't know how you'd cut the pill to a small enough dose.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Devliniam

Postby Devliniam » Thu May 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Thank you Ana. I live in Wi, right around 500 mileaway. I've tried for hours and have nearly 15 phone numbers on the list of places and people I've called to help take her so she can eventually get back to the wild. (And that was yesterday. BEFORE she got sick) Dnr, Wi wildlife rescue, different vets, sheriff dept. UW vet school are included in that list. Nobody does mammals. Mostly it's birds around here. My sis is a doc in Mi, she said Amoxicillin for upper Resp. But how will i get some. Thank you for being willing to help, Ana. I feel like I'm all alone here, fighting this battle for her life
Devliniam

Postby Devliniam » Thu May 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Fish Mox? Wow. Who woulda guessed.
If I could just get 1 pill, child strength (250mg) I would break it down 25X to get her tiny dose
Devliniam

Postby Devliniam » Thu May 18, 2017 11:02 pm

My town is 4000 people. 1 grocery store, 1 Kmart. We do have a Walgreens. I doubt they'd give up 1 pill
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 19, 2017 12:32 am

The fishmox is 250mg pills, it's the same just in a bottle labeled for fish. Since you may not be able to find it close you may have to just order it online and have it sent as fast as available.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 19, 2017 9:30 am

I am not sure if fish mox would treat an infection like this. Fish mox is used to treat gram-positive bacterial infections and some gram-negative. I believe respiratory infections are usually caused by gram-negative bacteria. Read this before giving any medicine to the raccoon. It is about rats but applies to many pets: Some Things You Should Know About Antibiotics Just something to think about before jumping in head-first with antibiotics.

If you really feel you need to give it antibiotics, research how much per pound of weight you need to administer, and for how long. Otherwise, it could be all for nothing. Not treating it with enough medication or for long enough can completely defeat the entire treatment. I guess maybe going off of a kitten doseage might be a good place to start. But you still need a prescription unless you intend to use fish mox. Here is a link to a website that sells it. It comes in capsules, so I'd think you can divide the powder inside, instead of cutting a pill. Fish Mox - Amoxicillin 250 mg (12 Count)

Also, what were the circumstances of you finding the raccoon? Was it just out in an open space, completely alone, in daylight? Because it probably didn't wander out there all by itself. The mother may have been moving her litter. Unless a baby animal is in immediate danger, it is better to leave it alone. Even if the mother is not nearby.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 19, 2017 12:38 pm

Baytril might be better but not sure how to get that without a vet.

My vet gives metronidazole a lot for things. You can get that as fishzole.
---
Mary

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”