Red Fox Ear Care

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

La_oftheLand

Red Fox Ear Care

Postby La_oftheLand » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Hello everyone! I am new to the den and I have a few questions. After years of reading and waiting, I finally decided to get my first fox. Of course, I named him Tod. Everything is great and we are all smitten. My first question is about ear care. My female Great Dane tends to snuggle with him and ends up licking his ears. I noticed yesterday that one ear has an alarming amount of build up. I don't believe it's mites as it is not black. I think he has created a lot of wax due to my dog irritating his ears. What are some things I can do to help his ears? Do you think he needs to be seen by a vet?
My last question is on vaccinations. It's a hot topic with exotic breeds and I'll be honest, my vet I had picked out doesn't have any vaccines for Tod. We talked about ordering, but you know the issue with the tray and everything.. Anyway I wanted to know what has worked best for your foxes. What vaccines did you finally decide on?
Thank you guys again in advance. I read so much from the forums, but I couldn't find anything on ear care.
-Laura Paxston
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Red Fox Ear Care

Postby Ash » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Welcome! And congratulations on getting your first fox. Tod is still a cute name no matter what. :)

If there is a lot of gunk, that can be caused from mites. The way the ear canal is shaped, you wouldn't be able to see the mites if they were there. One of my foxes came with ear mites--all I had to do was put some special drops on the back of her neck, and it cleared it right up. So I think a vet visit might be in order just in case.

For regular gunk, you can use a q-tip if your fox is calm enough for that. Usually they're pretty good about taking care of their own ears though. When they're little, not so much. But when they get older they really clean their ears by licking their foot and sticking their foot up in their ear for a scratch.

I don't clean my foxes ears, but I do check them periodically for gunk. Sometimes I clean out some ear wax with my finger as long as it's not too deep (I know, I'm gross, lol).

Also, foxes are VERY prone to getting ear mites. So it doesn't mean you were improperly caring for him or anything if he does turn out to have them. It just happens sometimes. That's why it's important to check routinely. Fortunately it's pretty easy to check since they just LOVE ear rubs.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Vata Raven

Re: Red Fox Ear Care

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:06 am

Q-tips aren't meant to go into the ear. You can use them, but be careful and don't do it often.

I use a sodium chloride saline solution to clean out my ears once a month, and then use a Q-tip to clean out the wax.
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgr ... 01-product

Drip the solution into the ear, let it sit for a 30 seconds to a minute, and clean out with a Q-tip. Cleaning it out the ear dry will cause irritation to the inner ear. Wax isn't a bad thing, the body uses it as a barrier to catch things from entering inside the ear.

I also used hydrogen peroxide for a bad wax build up.

I started my 1-month ear cleaning since the beginning of the year, and the wax build lessened.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”