Flea and Heart Worm Treatments

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vuplesmama2013

Flea and Heart Worm Treatments

Postby Vuplesmama2013 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:46 am

I'm a fur mama to a 4 month old Arctic Fox and I'm trying to find research in regards to flea and heart worm treatment and I'm having difficultly finding much research. Do Arctic foxes require heart worm and flea treatment like dogs and cats? Is it necessary and what forms of medical research back it? What brands are no-go's/go's? She lives indoors and goes outside for walks. I'm trying to discern if it's necessary to give her treatments.

Thanks!
-Vulpesmama2013
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flea and Heart Worm Treatments

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:54 pm

It is a good idea to treat them. My reds get Tri-heart. I don't treat mine for fleas since we don't have them here according to my vet.

Welcome to the board, and congrats on bringing home your fur baby. :)
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:31 pm

They definitely get Fleas. Ikigai had fleas and turned out he's allergic to them too. He gets revolution, it's one safe chemical that treats/prevents fleas, heart worm, mites, some ticks and worms too. There's been a lot of studies confirming heartworm in various species of fox, here's one on red fox http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 1798001319
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Oh, but I have revolution on back up. ;) I second that this is a great product.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm also curious about whether or not I need to get my coatimundi Vega vaccinated. I'm going to start taking him on walks and hikes and don't want him to get sick.... He's going to Avian and Exotic Vet in a week or two, and they have experience with coatis, so I guess I'll find out then.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, mink, fennec fox, lemur (brown or white ruffed), egyptian fruit bat.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”