Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Raccoon or other exotic limb amputation

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

the_unstable

Raccoon or other exotic limb amputation

Postby the_unstable » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Hello everyone. Long time, no see huh.

I am seeking information regarding stories and information of raccoons and similar functioning species that may have had surgery to repair a limb fracture or amputation. I am caring for a raccoon that has been diagnosed with a fractured front limb. He has been evaluated by highly experienced orthopedic surgeons and exotic veterinarians. They are too seeking information on this matter. There is concern that surgery may not be as successful due to the tendency to chew on and suck on the injured limb, and risk of re-fracture or healing complications. Amputation is being considered, but they are not aware of information regarding how such species would function with an absent front limb. Does anyone know of raccoons or similar species that have had surgery to repair limb fractures, or amputated front limbs?

Thank you.
DeweysMom

Re: Raccoon or other exotic limb amputation

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 am

Fracture/break surgery has been done on raccoons successfully. However, since the front limb dexterity is extremely important to a raccoon, if the repair isn't nearly perfect, that animal is not a candidate for rehab and release, if that is the eventual desire. If this case is a domestic raccoon, I say go for it!

A good veterinary team can come up with a cast and covering that is fairly raccoon-proof. Keeping the subject somewhat sedated during the healing process also helps immensely. And, you may be surprised at how well the raccoon accepts the cast/etc. - somehow inherently knowing it's for its own good.

Are you on Facebook? If so, I know for a fact I saw on the raccoon groups I belong to numerous postings about successful limb repair. I can direct you to the groups where I may have seen these stories, and you could contact the persons who posted them for further guidance.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:48 pm

I don't have any experience with fractures, but going by my experience with a somewhat disabled coon, I agree with DeweysMom, if he is a pet, then go for it!

My girl has a neurological condition that has left her with a very unstable back-end. She has terrible balance, and falls down constantly. For the most part, she can't climb, so we have accommodated her with steps and stairs to all of her favorite places. Granted, in my situation it is a handicap that she has lived with since birth, and that makes a huge difference, but I still think if its a choice between ify recovery and euthanasia, I'd give him a shot. These are such amazingly adaptable animals, even if the repair is not 100% he may surprise you and find his "new normal".

Also, when my girl was spayed she wore an e-collar for over a week during her recovery. (One thing that amazed me about that was how quickly she accepted and adapted to it... no clanging it into furniture like a dog... she quickly learned to judge space and adjust her movements accordingly)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:27 pm

I asked a friend who does raccoon rescue but he knows of no cases or arm amputation but thinks like me that raccoons are resourceful and adaptable and he should be fine( but I was assuming you are planning on keeping him when I asked, I doubt the raccoon would do well either way if wild and should either be kept at a sanctuary or put down.).

I would remove it since the vets think that's best. Trying to save a shattered limb is going to cause tons of suffering through his whole life while amputation will hurt less and just during recovery and he should be able to adapt and live a comfortable domestic or sanctuary type life.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:37 pm

If cats can recover from surgery and still be a pretty typical cat with only one front limb (climbing/jumping/etc), I'm sure a captivity-kept raccoon could.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:50 pm

Okay I think I misread. I thought they were considering amputation because of how damaged the limb was. If it is shattered and they would remove it on a dog or cat but are unsure because it's a coon then go a head and remove it. If the only reason they are considering amputation is because it's a coon then I'd try surgery first. I would pin instead of cast since healing is faster.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Thank you everyone, this is all reassuring. Talked to the vets more today and they confirmed their availability for surgery tomorrow. Fingers crossed! A further complication I failed to mention is that they discovered the limb's "elbow" is stiffened and doesn't have full range of motion. They said it was an old injury. It was not apparent to me prior, so hopefully it won't be a significant issue. He is a captive coon from a breeder. I and the vets are pondering underlying health issues that may have contributed to the break. Anyone know of particular illnesses that would make a raccoon more susceptible to breaking bones? Calcium deficiency comes to mind for me.

I do have Facebook, so if anyone has suggestions for raccoon groups with helpful information, I'd be grateful to hear about it!

Both bones are broken so they will be pinned. Amputation wasn't their certain recommendation but the possibility was discussed. The vets stated that they decided it's still the best choice to try to repair and see how it goes, hoping we can keep him from agitating it while healing. They seem pretty confident, and hearing all of your responses is reassuring.

I wanted to be as informed as possible about the process, decision, and possible outcomes. In my research, I did find some videos and stories of raccoons living in the wild, and a couple in captivity, that had one front limb. I even saw a video of a wild mother with one front limb that was climbing privacy fence carrying a baby. They are amazing creatures. The uploader of the video stated they saw her around for a couple of years. There was a video of one with no front legs too, that was said to be living wild.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”