PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Trying to Pee

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trying to Pee

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 11, 2018 2:52 pm

Glad you're getting enough in him to help.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun May 13, 2018 11:23 pm

So he's not getting any better.

I think he has Capillaria plica. I don't know for sure, but it's very common in North American foxes. He has all the symptoms that go along with it. So when he goes in to the vet tomorrow, I'm going to have them check for that as well as other things.

Keep fingers crossed for this poor guy.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 14, 2018 2:58 pm

Hope they can figure it out and get him fixed up.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks.

So they are very sure it isn't the parasite, so that's good at least.

They gave him some fluids and did a blood test and are going to keep him hospitalized for three days. He's very dehydrated. And also emaciated. They're very concerned about his condition. That being said, he's active and alert. The blood test came back showing some of his kidney values were off, but they said that could just be because he's dehydrated. I'm wondering if they'll run their own urinalysis if they can't get it from the emergency vet.

This is going on way too long. I wish I could have just brought him in to his regular vet in the first place. :(

I'm worried he could have something terminally wrong with him.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 15, 2018 12:33 am

Sounds like a kidney infection. When Hyzzie had one 24hrs at the vet on IV antibiotics and fluids had her feeling better again then finished the antibiotic course at home, but she wasn't peeing blood, but feeling pretty pukey, she also got cerenia because of that.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm

So after LOTS of vet visits, tests, and even hospitalization, it was determined poor Nova has kidney failure. The doctor thinks he can last a few months on a regimen, and getting sub-q fluids in, and a prescription diet, but ultimately he will need to be put down. :( Since he's so young and nothing seemed to have caused it, the vet ruled that it must be a genetic issue.

I'll speak to his prospective owners and see how they would like to proceed.

This is a sad day for us. Nova is such a sweet, sweet fox. Skittish of people, but very sweet and well-mannered.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 17, 2018 3:57 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. We had a member some years back who lost their fox to a genetic kidney issue as well. It would be good if breeders started doing some health testing or at least cull the parents from breeding when they hear about these things.
David492

Postby David492 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:58 pm

That's sad. :( Hope you spend some quality time with him while he's still here.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 17, 2018 6:36 pm

Thanks, guys. It means a lot.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 18, 2018 2:14 pm

Nova has learned not to swallow when we put the syringe in the back pocket of his mouth... He just lets it all sit in there, and will wait a very, very long time. And then lets it drip out of his mouth. This new medicine doesn't taste bad, so he doesn't mind it sitting in his mouth. But he doesn't swallow it either. I hold his mouth closed.

I'm out of ideas for this kid. :shrug: I was told he needed every bit of the pill for it to be effective, and I'm not getting it all in him. I don't necessarily buy that, I'm sure it's still effective if we get most of it in. This one has to go through the digestive tract, so can't be injected.

Anymore pro tips and tricks would be appreciated. If there are any, lol.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Maybe try food again since he doesn't mind the taste of this one.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”