HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PLEASE READ THIS REGARDING TOXIC DOG FOOd viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1463

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 (with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.) FREE TO USE.
(PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE, YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

Brevecto is NOT safe

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brevecto is NOT safe

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:45 pm

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Ne ... 620934.htm

I cringe every time someone recommends it in the fox groups.

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is alerting pet owners and veterinarians to be aware of the potential for neurologic adverse events in dogs and cats when treated with drugs that are in the isoxazoline class."

"some animals receiving Bravecto, Nexgard or Simparica have experienced adverse events such as muscle tremors, ataxia, and seizures. Another product in this class, Credelio, recently received FDA approval."
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brevecto is NOT safe

Postby pat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:25 am

I did buy bravecto for my dogs, raccoons and fox a while back. did not give it to them, I just had a fear of using it. (even though, like you said, the vets sell it) :roll: I end up returning it. so glad I did.

a friend of mine bought a flea treatment for his cat at "walmart" needless to say, the cat died a few or more days later.

thank you mary for alerting everyone about the bravecto. I really have a hard time trusting most of these oral flea treatments.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 am

I would be interested in what everyone uses for flea treatment?

I just put coconut oil on their fur, seems to help. however, I also have guineas. so not sure which is working :shrug:

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:05 pm

Revolution. It takes care of endo and ecto parasites like fleas. Good stuff.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm using Revolution. I had to have something because the fennec fox is allergic to fleas and natural methods weren't enough. No problems any more. It prevents fleas, mites and heartwrom and most internal parasites and some ticks. It's one gentle chemical that is related to "heartguard" but is safer and more effective.

I've even used it on Aurora before when she had fur issues in case it was mites, though the scraping the vet did didn't find any. It's been used on all sorts of exotics, including guinea pigs, so is very safe.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:53 am

I use to use revolution. that seemed to work. not very cheap though. however, ana came up with a good idea, buy one for large dogs, then measure enough for the the weight of the dog, raccoons or whatever. ana had a chart for the measurements I have a copy of it, if anyone would like to see it.

but for now, mine don't seem to have fleas or even ticks. before I got my guineas, I was pulling ticks off my dog all the time :roll:
the baby ticks are a little more difficult cause they are so small and sometimes even hard to see :roll:
from what I understand, it is important to get the head of tick pulled too? I used a tick puller I bought from a farm store. it is so much easier to pull the tick. then down the toilet the tick went.

also not sure how effective coconut oil is. seems to work. maybe it is combo of my guineas and coconut oil :shrug:

I can remember even in the cold months, there were still ticks around :roll: that I can't figure out.

It really amazes me how such a little bug can do so much damage. one of my coonhounds got lyme disease from a tick.
she pulled through it, but, of course had to take her to the vet, got a script for her sickness. it was so bad, she couldn't walk.

thank you again Mary for information.

Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:56 pm

I give my dogs Nexgard, we haven't had any issues with it. I'm guessing if the side effects were going to appear it'd probably be at first application?
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Most likely to see an issue within the first few doses so if the dog has been using it a year or more probably wont suddenly see a reaction. Though there could be a cumulative effect in dogs later in life who do not immediately show issue, especially considering how long it last/stays in the body. Over weight dogs might be more at risk of cumulative effects due to it getting stored in the fat cells. It's not been on the market long enough for that to be known and they don't test it on dogs life long before release. So we may eventually find out there is a higher incidence of neurological problems in senior dogs who have used it for many years, or maybe not, but it's unknown.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”