ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Need Advice for Raising a Raccoon

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Madrigorian

Need Advice for Raising a Raccoon

Postby Madrigorian » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:20 am

Hello everyone...
I have a lot of questions, and a minor dilemma.
One day, after having lunch with a friend, I was dropping him off at his home. As I was driving out of his driveway, I saw something fall from the sky (at least 25 feet high). It was a brownish ball, and I stopped to go check it out. This was in the middle of his yard, no trees near by, nothing above this area. As I approached, I saw a small little brown thing twitching on the ground. I got closer and saw a baby raccoon, eyes closed, twitching, and slowly crawling in small circles. It appeared it was trying to move away from me as I reached for it, but it never opened its eyes. I then immediately called my wife, as animal lovers, we decided to try to help it, and not leave it out to die. We guess that a bird of prey had it and dropped it as flying by. These birds are all over (near a landfill area).
When I was driving it home it became frantic in a box, and eyes opened as it kept climbing out. When I put it on my chest, as I drove, it immediately calmed down. When we got home, it was still having shakes and twitches, and it barely moved. We believed it had some sort of brain damage from the fall. After a few days (about 4-5) of syringe feeding it cat formula and baby rice formula, and rehydrating it stopped the shaking. We checked and believe it is a female, our new little baby girl, Roxanne. Now she is doing very well, we have had her for a few months now... we have some concerns now, things we didn't think of when we decided to save her.

First, my wife and I, have an adult cat, that is not very friendly to other animals. We need to find a way to get them to get along...I know we can eventually figure this out, but just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.

Second, We want to get her fixed, but heard that we need to have her licensed and such. I, honestly, have no clue what the steps are to make her legal, so that we can then find a vet to help keep her healthy. Does anyone know what we would need to do?

Third, Once we have her 'legally', do we need to get vaccines or anything else... do we even need to get her 'fixed'? We do not have tons of extra $, but we will do what we have to to provide her with the best life we can.

She has already stolen our hearts. lol. I appreciate any and all help or suggestions.
Thanks all,
Chris
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Advice for Raising a Raccoon

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:27 pm

There is no legal way for you to have her in your state as a pet(Being an admin I can see your IP but don't worry regular members can't.). Your state has permits for captive born animals you buy from breeders. You can not legally keep one from the wild. You need a personal possession permit which has a questionnaire which includes your seller of you animal. Maybe you could try applying with a known breeder's info and then once granted say you got her there and just hope they don't check but there's a risk they will. There are plenty of rehabs that could take her, I don't want to out your state by listing them but can pass them along if you want. She can still be rehabbed to live free in the wild and if you really want a raccoon later you can buy one from a breeder. If you keep her she will be at risk of seizure by the state and possibly be killed.

The only other option is get a rehab permit yourself but one of the requirements is having a year's experience apprenticing under another rehab.
Madrigorian

Postby Madrigorian » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:36 am

Ok, my wife used to work with Rehabing animals...so that might not be a problem. And this is a bit scary, we already fell for her, and love the little fur bullet. I guess we have some things to think on and decide whats best for her... *sigh*
Maybe we can find a breeder's name to use, and try that option.
Thanks for the advice.
Just to clarify, we will need to have her 'legally' before any vet will help us, right?
Chris
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Yes usually the vet will want to see the permits. You might get lucky and find one willing too see him but you never know when someone seeing him might not like it and report him. Some people have had the vet tech or another client in the lobby call a report in even when legal, because they didn't know they just didn't like seeing someone with a "wild" animal.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Having never had a female, I can't tell you if it's imperative to have her spayed. Others here will be able to tell you that better than I. But vaccinations - even if she doesn't go outside - are still necessary, both for her safety - and yours. Depending on where you live, you may or may not be able to buy the rabies vaccine, but the other recommended vaccines are readily available, such as distemper, parvo, etc.

As Mary said above, you may be able to find a vet who will treat her without documentation. There ARE vets out there who care less about paperwork and more about the animals. That being said, I'm in agreement with Mary about turning her over to a wildlife rehabber to get her back into the wild, where she came from. She's young enough to 'wild up' easily. If exploring this option, though, please make it a point to ensure the group you turn her over to will rehab, and not euthanize.

Keeping an 'illegal' will be a lifetime of constant worry in the back of your mind - will you be found out? You may go along for years flying under the radar and suddenly, somehow, you're found out. It won't end well. The ending of her life trumps your broken heart.

Since you're in a state that allows raccoons from breeders, I suggest that if you really like raccoons now that you've experienced one, go the legal way. You'll sleep far better at night. Believe me. Been there, done that.

Regardless of your decision, thank you so much for rescuing her and giving her a chance at life - whatever it turns out to be. Should you decide on keeping her, we'll all be here to help you through the tough next year or two. Cuz you'll need it! LOL
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”