PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

my beagle?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: my beagle?

Postby pat » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:28 pm

how old was cedar? I know at any age, it is hard to see our animals sick. if they reach their life span, it is easier to understand, but of course still hard to lose them. I am sure it was hard to make the decision of surgery. on another note, we can't let our dogs suffer either.
we have to wonder (guess it something we don't know) if the surgery was not done, how much longer would Cedar would have lived.
however, if Cedar was in pain, then you did the right thing. at least you tried to help him.

I agree about the testing, seems most vets have $$$$ signs in their eyes :roll:

on the raccoon, the vet claimed he may have had an underlying issue. I remember the raccoon had a cut on him. the vet cared for the cut, then did the neuter. the vet also told me the raccoon started coming out of the anitestic so he gave him some gas. now, I wonder if that is what killed him.
I will never know.

how old are your dogs? what kind of dogs do you have? I just wish dogs could have a longer life span.

I think I mentioned Lucy's blood levels they were all off. I don't know what would cause that. I just hope the vet I am going to will explain more and find something that will help her. the vet I was seeing keeps wanting me to come to back every week to test her blood level to see if it changed.
the last visit did not change. again, she must also have $$$ signs in her eyes.
the vet said, Lucy might have an Auto Immune problem. If that is true, that is not good. I have no idea what causes that if it is true.

I had a female coonhound a while ago, she hemorged really bad from her mouth. I took her to vets, and no one knew why.
I end up taking her to an after hours vet clinic (suggested by the vet) needless to say, I had to put her down, she was really sick.
she was only five years old. I remember looking at her gums before I took her to the vets, and they were pale. I am going to keep checking Lucy's gums. the vet said they were OK. but, I will still keep an eye on them.

thank you for letting me know about your experience with your dog.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:01 pm

Cedar was I think 11 at the time. We still have his brother, Cinnamon (my baby boy!), who is going to be 13 in March, so he was fairly old (he didn't look or act it though).
Cinnamon is are oldest dog. Esther, Kitty and Gerbil are all about 12 right now. Our two young dogs (only a couple years old) are Coral and Epsilon.

It was a hard decision to make with Cedar, but the vet said that he could pass away at any time from the tumor, it really just wasn't a sure thing. I think it would have been more painful for him to wait with the tumor, but you never know. It was hard that he was feeling so much better, only to loose him. And yes, we always look at the gums, those gums give a very clear indication when something is wrong.

I'm so sorry about your coonhound. Poor thing.

I've heard of dogs with Auto Immune problems going on medication and it really helping. If that is the issue I think it would be easier to treat than cancer. I think I've heard that some types of tumors can press on glands or something and cause them to either over-produce or under produce. If you remove the tumor it can help a lot. I think that's how it works with adrenal cancer in ferrets? I'm not an expert though, so these are just thoughts.
hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hecate » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:41 pm

The best single resource I've ever found for dealing with "hopeless" conditions is "Keep Your Pet Healthy The Natural Way" by Pat Lazarus, 1986 edition.

lazarusbook.png

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Natural- ... at+lazarus

It has to be the 1986 edition, newer versions don't have nearly the detail and extensive instructions. By now, I would expect most of the consulting veterinarians listed are probably retired or deceased, but their work is still available on the internet.

That book led me to Dr. Wendell Belfield, who graciously helped me develop a successful treatment for spinal myelopathy (diagnosed by the chief of neurology at Iowa State University) in a former Grade-A racing Greyhound. No local vet would cooperate with his preferred treatment so he worked out a variation I could do myself, and it worked. He would not accept any payment for his assistance. Other contributing veterinarians who personally helped me out were Dr. S. Allen Price and Dr. H. H. Robertson.

I've worn out several copies over the years, and can't imagine being without one.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:56 am

With the blood count plus feeling a mass it is probably cancer, only 100% sure way is to biopsy it but that will be expensive. But if there is no mass then maybe autoimmune, which is a genetic issue.

I don't remember her blood work but Kat(cat) got to just laying around and had her seen and vet found a large mass in her abdomen but it wasn't deep so we had it remover she was good for around 6 months but then she went down hill again. Vet found another mass in her but this time it was in her liver. Prednisone was given to help her feel better so lived a few more months.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:07 am

hecate,

thank you for the info about the book. however, I think it is info for pets that are not sick. I probably will buy it anyway, to ensure my other pets stay healthy.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:24 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:With the blood count plus feeling a mass it is probably cancer, only 100% sure way is to biopsy it but that will be expensive. But if there is no mass then maybe autoimmune, which is a genetic issue.

I don't remember her blood work but Kat(cat) got to just laying around and had her seen and vet found a large mass in her abdomen but it wasn't deep so we had it remover she was good for around 6 months but then she went down hill again. Vet found another mass in her but this time it was in her liver. Prednisone was given to help her feel better so lived a few more months.

thank you for telling me your experience. we know how hard it is for our pets to be sick and in pain. I think the vet I am going to see on Friday, might know more. the vet I seen said she might have an autoimmune disease. since I got Lucy from an Amish kid, I would think it is genetic.

the vet was not real clear about if she felt a mass in her stomach. I would think an Xray would tell more :shrug:
how would they do a biopsy on her stomach?

thank you again for telling me your experience with Kat.

the prednisone did perk lucy up a little. but not a ball of fire. she is eating good though

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:01 pm

It depends where the mass is. If it's not too deep they could do a needle biopsy but if it's big and deep they might want to take it out then send it to a lab to test if cancer or not. But some locations if it's attached to something important like the liver or something they might not be able to do anything.

They can feel for masses but can't find all that way, mainly just big ones. They can usually see masses by x-ray.

Hopefully it's auto-immune as most of them can be treated with a better outcome than cancer. Though some sort of treatable infection would be even better.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:29 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:It depends where the mass is. If it's not too deep they could do a needle biopsy but if it's big and deep they might want to take it out then send it to a lab to test if cancer or not. But some locations if it's attached to something important like the liver or something they might not be able to do anything.

They can feel for masses but can't find all that way, mainly just big ones. They can usually see masses by x-ray.

Hopefully it's auto-immune as most of them can be treated with a better outcome than cancer. Though some sort of treatable infection would be even better.

vet said Lucy has an Auto Immune disease icon-sad she is scheduled for another appointment on March 7. guess Lucy will need prednisone life long icon-sad how long can a dog live with an auto immune disease? I am just sick over this :cry: Lucy is so inactive, I feel so bad for her. I feel like my hands are tied and can't do anything to help her icon-sad

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:10 pm

The prognosis for an Auto Immune Disease really depends on the kind of disorder. Do you know what kind of Auto Immune Disease she has?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:42 am

GitaBooks wrote:The prognosis for an Auto Immune Disease really depends on the kind of disorder. Do you know what kind of Auto Immune Disease she has?

I am not too up on health stuff. the vet was not very clear. I will try and get more info from my vet. I have Lucy's blood work. when I get a chance, I will scan it and post it, maybe you can tell what the heck it all means. I know she needs more prednisone. the vet won't call it in to a drug store until he sees her :roll: all Lucy does is sleep. she will go outside once in awhile, but don't stay out long at all. she is eating, but not much.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:49 am

I had Lucy at the vet yet again a few days ago. he did another blood panel. now her blood levels keep changing. the vet is not real sure what exactly is wrong. he is still saying auto immune disease. but he also said, it could be cushing disease. she is eating OK now. but, not active like she use to be.

when we get warmer days, she will go outside and stay longer than she did before. I take her and Leo for car rides, which they both love.
when I get a chance, I will post her blood level charts.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:41 am

I was doing research on autoimmune disease and cushings disease. from what I read, sounds more like Lucy does have Auto immune disease.
Lucy still lays around. she does eat, but not much. I felt her tummy again this morning, and it feels like it could be a tumor.
it feels hard, and does protrude a bit. (the vet knows this, but did not say anything) the first vet I seen suggested a X-Ray. she wanted around $100.00 for the X-Ray. The vet I am seeing now (same place) said $70.00. Not sure how far in depth an X-Ray will show.
does anyone know how far in depth an X-ray will show? I have another appointment next week. I might go for the X-Ray.

also I was looking for other vitamins that might help. (not sure, if any would help her feel better)
probiotics and milk thistle. More ideas would be appreciated.

Does anyone know what I should expect before she dies?

forgot to mention, my neice has auto immune disease. she told me what she takes for it, and it does help her.
I wrote it down, now I can't find it with all my paper work. I will call her today and ask her again.
then ask my vet about this presctiption.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:11 pm

My dog Cinnamon just turned 13 and he has been up and down recently. He's the one who hurt his back a few times.
Some days he is just so happy (almost anxious he's so high-strung) and other days he just lies around and looks so sad. His stomach has been hard and tense, I think more from pain than any growths, but we did get an X-ray to check for tumors. His brother had a tumor in his abdomen and it was quite obvious on the X-ray. They said Cinnamon looks tumor-free but his spleen (where his brother had cancer) looks enlarged and we should check that out.
I'm not sure if the enlarged spleen causes the stomach pain or mood swings that Cinnamon seems to have, but I'm going to look into it.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that a hard stomach doesn't have to mean a tumor but an X-ray is a great way to know for sure. We've had dogs with stomach aches that got rock-hard bellies because of how tense they were. Back pain can make them tense up also. I've also heard that a build up of fluids can cause the stomach to distend.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:31 am

sorry for my delay in replay, I have been very sick in bed (which is very unusual for me.) I still don't feel all that great, but, a little better today.

I know how hard it is to see our "babies" in pain and distress. Cinnamon is up there in years, but, from I understand, smaller dogs can live longer?
as we know, we just cannot predict the future of our babies icon-sad .

Lucy lays on her doggie cot all the time. I have to force her to go outside. I have a vet appointment tomorrow. I will opt in for the X-Ray, but, money is so tight for me. I will have to put it on CC. (easy to charge it, but hard to pay the card) the vet wants to see her every two weeks, it was every week for a while.

I am still giving lucy predisone, helps sometimes, but very little. Actually, it was helping a little, but now, not at all. Maybe when the weather gets warmer, she might be more apt to go outside.

I will see what the vet says tomorrow, if it is going to me a lot of money, I might consider "go fund me page" I really hate doing that. I think at this point, there might be nothing left to do. icon-sad

I appreciate very much your support.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:27 am

We talked to a few of our vet friends and they said it sounds like Cinnamon has chronic pain. We're trying him on Rimadyl (a pain medication that's suppose to be safe for long-term use). He's only been on it a couple days, but so far he hasn't had any of his "bad days" despite having gone on a fairly long walk (for him).

Wow, that must be tough having to go to the vet so often and not really getting any answers. I know that sometimes there isn't any other choice, and I remember you saying you've talked to other vets, but maybe you could try finding a vet more open to trying something new? We have three vets offices with-in about twenty minutes of our home and one of them was very helpful in simply getting an x-ray and diagnosing the problem with-in a few minutes and at a fairly low cost. We don't go to this vet regularly (they are the furthest away) but sometimes getting a second opinion can really help when one vet seems too set on trying it one way (that isn't really working).

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”