PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

my beagle?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: my beagle?

Postby pat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:28 pm

GitaBooks wrote:We talked to a few of our vet friends and they said it sounds like Cinnamon has chronic pain. We're trying him on Rimadyl (a pain medication that's suppose to be safe for long-term use). He's only been on it a couple days, but so far he hasn't had any of his "bad days" despite having gone on a fairly long walk (for him).

Wow, that must be tough having to go to the vet so often and not really getting any answers. I know that sometimes there isn't any other choice, and I remember you saying you've talked to other vets, but maybe you could try finding a vet more open to trying something new? We have three vets offices with-in about twenty minutes of our home and one of them was very helpful in simply getting an x-ray and diagnosing the problem with-in a few minutes and at a fairly low cost. We don't go to this vet regularly (they are the furthest away) but sometimes getting a second opinion can really help when one vet seems too set on trying it one way (that isn't really working).

yike, I am sorry to hear Cinnamon has chronic pain icon-sad. the rimadyl should help. if not, there might be other meds Cinnamon can take in conjunction of the Rimadyl. we know Rimadl is not a cure. only to relieve the pain..

I had Lucy at the vets today. I told him about the meds my niece takes for her he did precribed that and more predisone. he called it all in to Sams club for her (which is cheaper) hopefully, it will help. I checked her tummy this morning and last night, now, it feels normal :shrug:

please keep me updated on Cinnamon. poor thing, it is so heart breaking when our babies get sick. icon-sad
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:49 pm

Hopefully the new medication helps Lucy to feel better.

Cinnamon's chronic pain is most likely just due to his old joints and back. The pain meds seem to be helping (he was in a great mood today, very active). Along with the medicine we're hoping to get him "foot pads" that help him grip the hard-wood floors so he will stop slipping and hurting his knees and hips.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:59 pm

GitaBooks wrote:Hopefully the new medication helps Lucy to feel better.

Cinnamon's chronic pain is most likely just due to his old joints and back. The pain meds seem to be helping (he was in a great mood today, very active). Along with the medicine we're hoping to get him "foot pads" that help him grip the hard-wood floors so he will stop slipping and hurting his knees and hips.

most likely the pain is from "his old joints" icon-sad I know how hard it when are babies get up there in age. I went through that so many times.
I have a large grave for all of them icon-sad I use to have 5 dogs at one time.most were coonhounds.(my favorite). but, still love Lucy and Leo.
what do the foot pads look like? I am not familar with that. How is Cinnamon adjusting to the foot pads?

you will most likely have to keep Cinnamon on pain meds for life..

again,keep me updated.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:00 pm

forgot to add, I will let you know how the meds work out for Lucy.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:37 pm

We haven't gotten the foot pads yet, but basically you're suppose to stick them onto the bottom of the dogs own paw pads and they provide a better grip. Boots just don't stay on their feet.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:04 pm

let me know how it work out. just curious.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:42 am

the "autoimmune" prescription works wonders on Lucy. She goes outside a lot more, she is more active and attentive. she is eating good.
I have to wonder if she still needs the prednisone? I thought long term is not good?

she has a vet appointment on Monday. so with hope, her blood levels are better.

every time I took her to the vet, (before this new script) her blood levels kept changing. some got better, some got worse :shrug:

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:24 pm

How wonderful! Yay!
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:43 pm

I hope Lucy is continuing to do well!

I've been getting more and more worried about my Cinnamon. I'm almost positive (based on what the vet said and research I did myself) that Cinnamon has an enlarged spleen causing his chronic pain. Poor guy sometimes breathes heavy, he doesn't like his stomach to be touched and always lies in a way that makes it comfortably positioned (he doesn't stretch out anymore) and we think it was what caused his collapse episodes (it can cause back pain and weakness).

So, we're getting an ultrasound for him to see if that's the case. If so, he'll need it removed. It scares me a lot because his brother, Cedar, died from the exact same surgery (though he also had advanced cancer). He's 13, and I know surgery is dangerous, but he's just so uncomfortable.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:26 am

GitaBooks wrote:I hope Lucy is continuing to do well!

I've been getting more and more worried about my Cinnamon. I'm almost positive (based on what the vet said and research I did myself) that Cinnamon has an enlarged spleen causing his chronic pain. Poor guy sometimes breathes heavy, he doesn't like his stomach to be touched and always lies in a way that makes it comfortably positioned (he doesn't stretch out anymore) and we think it was what caused his collapse episodes (it can cause back pain and weakness).

So, we're getting an ultrasound for him to see if that's the case. If so, he'll need it removed. It scares me a lot because his brother, Cedar, died from the exact same surgery (though he also had advanced cancer). He's 13, and I know surgery is dangerous, but he's just so uncomfortable.

I am sorry to hear about Cinnamon icon-sad . I don't mean to sound negative, but, it don't sound good icon-sad
I use to have a malumute dog. when he was 13 years old. I do remember giving him meds everyday. (can't remember what it was for)
I do remember taking him to the vet when he got worse. the vet kept him for a few days. sadly, he passed away at the vets. icon-sad
I think the vet said he had liver or spleen cancer. icon-sad

I don't want you to get upset but, you might have to prepare for the worse icon-sad I hope Ceasar stays with you for more time.
but, on another note, you don't want him in pain either. icon-sad

I am concerned about Ceaser's surgery. but, what else can you do. icon-sad. he could pull through the surgery. :shrug:
keep me updated.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Thanks! I will.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:12 pm

How is Lucy doing? I hope the meds are working well.

Cinnamon went to the vet today and they confirmed a tumor in his spleen. He will be having a splenectomy May 9th. Nervous but hopeful; praying for a good outcome.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 am

GitaBooks wrote:How is Lucy doing? I hope the meds are working well.

Cinnamon went to the vet today and they confirmed a tumor in his spleen. He will be having a splenectomy May 9th. Nervous but hopeful; praying for a good outcome.

sad, but, at least you know the reason. technology has changed over the years. so with hope, Cinnamon will pull through with flying colors.
I think surgery is sometimes harder on older dogs than younger dogs. icon-sad I don't mean to alarm you. However, I feel Cinamon will be OK.
I feel bad for you and cinnamon. I know our animals are like our kids.

Lucy is doing better with the meds. she is not a ball of fire like she use to be. but, she does go outside more. she is almost out of the meds.
I called the vet for a refill (which he was supposed to call into sams club, but he did not.) I called yesterday to remind him to call in the script.

the last blood check she had was a lot better. almost normal. guess, it will be a life long treatment.
the vet had me bringing Lucy in every week, then every two weeks. geez, I can't afford all those visits ($70.00 or more a visit) :roll:

Now to make matters worse, my car is out of inspection. I ordered new tires, I will have to drive my car to walmart to get the tires with an expired sticker. then I can it inspected.

keep me updated on Cinnamon.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri May 10, 2019 9:47 am

Cinnamon made it through surgery! He is home, resting, and doing well! His brother made it 3 days after the surgery before he passed away, so I don't think I'll be able to relax until after 3 days. But so far so good!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri May 10, 2019 6:34 pm

GitaBooks wrote:Cinnamon made it through surgery! He is home, resting, and doing well! His brother made it 3 days after the surgery before he passed away, so I don't think I'll be able to relax until after 3 days. But so far so good!

really glad to hear Cinnamon made it through surgery. Sad about cinnamon's brother. however, each dog is different. so try and think positive.
keep me updated.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”