PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My raccoon got heavy matted hair balls...HELP

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Blackie1

Re: My raccoon got heavy matted hair balls...HELP

Postby Blackie1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 am

Well guys, here is an update. I've tried the olive oil and it did not take any of the matting out at all. The grooming tools came in, I ordered the one in the pic above and also a grooming comb (ss), the cutter blades are too big to get under the fur and plus it would need to be pulled to get it to cut. That is a nice tool to have but not for him. The comb is the same you have to pull it to get it to cut. We resorted back to the small shaver for mustaches, it works good. But we couldn't keep him still enough to get it all off.
Also I've tried the melatonin and it did not work, I also tried the benedryl liquid he would only drink alittle..so that didn't work either. I am out of options...
I talked to someone else and they said it could be food allergies, or some kind of allergic reaction to something. I treated each of them with Revolution and gave them their monthly deworming meds. I also ordered a squeese cage in order to hold him still while I get the matts off. It sounds horrible but I think that is my last resort...they (matted clumps) have to come off. I will post a picture of what it looks like now.
Blackie1

Postby Blackie1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:47 am

I copied the image into a word document in order to resize it. I hope you can view it.
Attachments
Blackie's hair loss.doc
(89.5 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:57 am

That worked. I can see the shaved area. I don't see how allergies would cause the issue. If the squeeze cage doesn't work a vet could sedate him to shave it down.

It might not hurt for him to see a vet anyway. I don't see it as allergy related to cause mats though sometimes other illnesses can as they feel so bad they just quit with grooming themselves. Though with his being young it's more likely he was just young and foolish and didn't groom enough because of that. Brushing him daily once the mats are gone should help to prevent it. A little healthy oils int he diet doesn't hurt either.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:13 am

With the blade tool, you have to hold the hair at the base and cut into it. Yes, you have to pull it, sometimes very hard, but if you hold the base of the hair it will not hurt them. Start at the ends and work toward the mat. Sometimes cutting a bit into a mat will let it slide the rest of the way out. Give it a try if you still can. I wish I could show you, but I don't have a matted animal to film working on. Maybe look for one on Youtube.

Glad you at least had a little success.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:29 pm

This is what I wrote about Chloe having, probably a couple of years ago now. Scooter has them now, but I caught them before they got too bad, he doesn't like to be brushed so its harder to do him. My coons seem to get them when they're young, maybe they don't groom themselves as well. It helps if you brush them but once they have them the only way I know of to get rid of them is to cut them out. I use a hairbrush with metal wires like a wig brush on them. Mine got the "rats" on their backends, I thought it was their shedding and getting matted. It doesn't brush out. If you find something that mildly sedates, please let me know. The only thing I know of that works is to have the vet sedate and I don't like to do that unless its really necessary, not to mention that Scoooter will need to be sedated to get him to the vet.
Welcome to the forum Blackie, we need more coon people on here.
Blackie1

Postby Blackie1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi Trefoil, so you are saying your coons had this too? Did he have bald spots too? And did you shave him also?
So far for meds, I just tried generic xanax for dogs...didn't work. I aldo just tried Klolopin and that didn't work either. I bought yesterday calming tablets for dogs and they are chewable. Needless to say he shook his head and said absolutely not!
I got the squeeze cage in today and I have to buy hooks to keep the moveable squeeze part in place...it doesn't lock in place. So it will be atleast another day or two before I can do it.
Please is anyone can suggest any kind of meds to calm him I would appreciate it!!
I am working on my rehablitation license, my test is in April and when I get that I also have to apply for my Rabies Vector License in order to be able to rehablitate raccoons, skunks and foxes. I want to specialize in that area because when I found Blackie and Brownie there was no where to take them unless I wanted to drive 5 hours away! When I do get my license I will be able to take them to a vet but I can't before then. Which I think it is not right!!! Anyone viewing please look at the picture I upload to see it you have ever seen it before.
Thanks Trefoil for your help.
Blackie1

Postby Blackie1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:26 pm

Also how long did it take for Chloes hair to grow back?
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Chloe didn't get bald spots from it and so far scooter hasn't either, but as soon as I noticed them I started brushing which stopped them from getting worse and I ended up just cutting into the mats. I didn't have a squeeze shute and as soon as they got tired of me doing it they escaped so it took a while (days+). Scooter doesn't care to be brushed so he goes away before I get to around his tail and I think that's why he has them there. Chloe loves to be brushed (of course I tell her what a beautiful coon she is the whole time I'm doing it) and she doesn't have any. It may take a couple of weeks for the hair to fully grow back, I don't remember how long it takes after they're shaved. But if you keep their pen at 50 it shouldn't be a problem. Would coating the tablets in peanut butter work? or cheese? Do your coons still play with each other? Mine love the cat balls with bells inside. And if they can find a stone to carry around, they're in heaven. Where did you get the squeeze cage? Let us know if it works. The vet thought it was really funny that I brought my clippers with me when I got Chloe fixed so I could trim her nails while she was out. Its good to hear that you are going to be a coon rehabber, we need more of them.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:51 am

You could also try to cut vertically with sharp scissors into the mat before cutting them completely out. Might save having to shave them off or leaving a bald spot where you cut the mat out. Of course this should only be done if you can get them still...which I realize is no easy task.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Blackie1

Postby Blackie1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:53 pm

Trefoil wrote:Chloe didn't get bald spots from it and so far scooter hasn't either, but as soon as I noticed them I started brushing which stopped them from getting worse and I ended up just cutting into the mats. I didn't have a squeeze shute and as soon as they got tired of me doing it they escaped so it took a while (days+). Scooter doesn't care to be brushed so he goes away before I get to around his tail and I think that's why he has them there. Chloe loves to be brushed (of course I tell her what a beautiful coon she is the whole time I'm doing it) and she doesn't have any. It may take a couple of weeks for the hair to fully grow back, I don't remember how long it takes after they're shaved. But if you keep their pen at 50 it shouldn't be a problem. Would coating the tablets in peanut butter work? or cheese? Do your coons still play with each other? Mine love the cat balls with bells inside. And if they can find a stone to carry around, they're in heaven. Where did you get the squeeze cage? Let us know if it works. The vet thought it was really funny that I brought my clippers with me when I got Chloe fixed so I could trim her nails while she was out. Its good to hear that you are going to be a coon rehabber, we need more of them.

I bought the squeeze cage from Tomahawk Live Trap, it was $104 including tax. The other one they have is better because it has a locking mechanism on it but it was way too much money...like $205. So I just have to buy some hooks to keep the squeeze side in the same place.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi Blackie - Haven't heard from you and wondered if the squeeze cage worked, and are they still talking to you. Mine firmly believe in holding grudges and revenge, served hot or cold. I've been keeping my house around 60 and I think Scooter is half hibernating, haven't seen him for 2 days. If I don't see him tonight I'm going to hunt him up. I hope your weather is much warmer than ours has been. The problem in this area with rehabbers is many of them will take the baby birds and coons and not tell you they are going to just kill them, so unless you know them personally or know someone that does its not always a good idea to take a baby or injured animal to them. That's why we need good people doing it. If its the law, then they should tell the person so they don't leave the baby there.
squirtzilla

Postby squirtzilla » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:30 pm

The first year I had with Harvey and his winter coat came in, I had to use the de-matting tool because the matting was bad. After some research, I I found with my guy that a diet rich in nut and seed oil, like sesame seeds, almonds and Brazil nuts, and fish oil, like salmon and herring, did wonders for his coat (although the right balance of nuts was trial and error since he did at first get a bit chunky). Also I found rubbing just a slight amount of coconut oil my hands, petting him, than using a comb with rotating teeth to work the oil in helped with control matting and was a nice conditioner. The nice thing about coconut oil is it's a solid, so it's easy to control how much you use, and it's safe to ingest for when he groomed himself afterwards.
Dovemaiden

Postby Dovemaiden » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:54 am

Is he calm enough for your to use Oster clippers on him?
I used to groom dogs; you have the least chance of cutting him with the clippers.
Scissors are easy to cut an animal; if that's all you have, use a large-tooth comb UNDER the matt, then use the scissors above the matt that is caught in the comb.
Never cut what you can't see.
I would use an 8 and 1/2 or 10 blade. It's better if a professional does it if you aren't sure how to do it.
Clippers can heat up quickly and you don't want a clipper burn.
After you remove the matted area and it starts growing back in, accustom him to brushing in the future (with an Ever-gentle wire slicker) to avoid this happening again.
As everyone else mentioned, the conditioning of the coat is tantamount ---I like to supply Linatone in food to condition from the inside as well.
And shampooing only if really necessary (if they've gotten poo or something like that on them).

When I used to groom, we'd clip the out matted parts, then always make sure the rest was brushed/combed out (stuff like Cowboy Magic is perfect for this, but pricey) before bathing the dogs.

If you bathe pets who already have matted fur, it ends up ten times worse; I'm talking about shampooing and bathing here.
Same with people; you want all the knots and tangles brushed out of your hair before you shampoo it.
Then ALWAYS put in conditioner to get the oils back to rights.
Hope this helps someone in the future; I just noticed this is an older post.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”