PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Raccoon neuter/spay questions

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Jinx

Raccoon neuter/spay questions

Postby Jinx » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:49 pm

I haven't heard much regarding neutering/spaying your raccoon prior to sexual maturity.

So my question is:
-When you get your raccoon altered before sexual maturity will it help "mellow" their sexual "aggression" during mating season?
-I've seen some horror stories here an they about tearing out their stitches and digging at them selves, pulling at their internal organs. Would using medical glue rather than stitches prevent this, if this is infact something that happens?

Will be more later I am sure.
:) thank you in advance.
Jinx::Dog Trainer
OES::Low Content Wolf/GSD::Mutt::Carpet Python::2 Corn Snakes::Raccoon
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Raccoon neuter/spay questions

Postby Ash » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:24 am

It's suggested to get them fixed prior to maturity. I wouldn't want to deal with seasonal aggression.

Yeah, it seems many exotics will pull at the stitches. My fox bit at the incisions after his neuter--he had glue and some stitches, I think. Nothing too bad happened, he just bled. I did have to take him back that day 1-2 times for them to examine him, but nothing scary happened. It was more just a waste of money, no thanks to the fur ball. I'd be more worried about an animal messing with its stiches/staples/glue after a spay. But you can put the cones on them though and see how long it lasts.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:51 am

I had my 3 males fixed by 6-7 months. did not have any problems with them at all.
after I picked them up from the vet, they slept most of that day. by the next day, they were fine
and acted as though nothing happened. can't remember how the vet stitched them up, but,
they did not have any stitches that needed removed.
it is important to find a vet that has experience with exotic pets. my vet is wonderful and has a lot of experience
with many different exotics.

I had a female and male fox fixed and did not have any problems. however, I kept the female confined for a few days.
she did not bother with her incision.

I don't know about the female raccoons for spay. trefoil has females, so she could answer more on the females.

I personally have not heard of anyone having problems with spay or neuter. not saying problems can't happen.
I think keeping a female confined and watching her closely, would help.. some might wear cones.. :shrug:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Jinx

Postby Jinx » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Fantastic to know! I really appreciate the advice guys!
Especially that having them desexed prior to breeding age helps mellow that seasonal "aggression". That was a big concern for me indeed!
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:52 pm

We had our boy done early (3 months of age). He never seemed to noticed the incision,
which was closed with surgical glue. He never bothered the incision, and was running and
leaping within hours of waking up from his sedation. It's been about 5 weeks since then,
and I've never noticed anything remarkable, and I don't think he has either. Keep in mind
it can take months for all the testosterone to be worked out of the system. :)
Jinx

Postby Jinx » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Okay wonderful! Definitely keep me updated on how his behavior is when we get into mating season! :)
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:23 pm

When I had my two males, they were both neutered their first December or so. I have heard in some cases that they can show signs of mating season by this time, but I didn't see it in my guys. It seems pretty factual that come each spring, and sometimes earlier winter months, they will change and become moody and aggressive. Neutering and spaying tends to keep them mellow and maintain the same sort of general mood throughout the year.

Mine did not have any stitches that needed removed. I'm not sure if it was glue or dissolving stitches. They did mess with the incisions a bit, as they were older coons, but it was not really an issue. I would try to keep them in a clean environment, perhaps even indoors, while they are going through the major healing period just to keep dirt and debris out of the wound and reduce infection risks. This was my own thinking anyway.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:29 pm

My male knew something was different post surgery, but didn't really mess much with the stitches, which were of the long-lasting but dis-solvable variety. He was a little on the groggy, subdued side for a about 24 hours, but back to his h*ll-raising by day 2! LOL I think the incision itched him a bit by about the 3rd day, because I'd see him rubbing that area on stuff here and there, but he never offered to actually pick at the stitches. Oh, and the hair growing back in around the surgical site seemed to make him itchy, too. He's now 3rd week after neutering and all has returned to normal. I can't say I see any mellowing out, but I figure it'll take a while for the testosterone to be processed out of his body.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
Dovemaiden

Postby Dovemaiden » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:59 am

Was there anything special the vet had to do before or after having your raccoons neutered? I read somewhere (it wasn't this site) that someone took their raccoon in to be neutered and he died. I don't know if it was anesthesia or post-op problems such as heat loss. Are there any problems that raccoon owners should alert their vet to about this?
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:32 pm

Like any other mammal, certain individuals have issues with anesthesia. Certainly, if planning to spay/neuter, opt for a vet that has experience with raccoons. If you have a vet you trust but he/she doesn't have raccoon experience, then suggest they contact other vets who do and ask them what anesthesia they use, etc. My vet has little experience with raccoons, even though exotics are her specialty. But I give her kudos - she doesn't hesitate to contact others in the field who do to get advice, solve problems, etc.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”