https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media
It is for Lucy (my beagle) she has some serious health issues.
=======================================

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747

Raccoon ID-opinions

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Jinx

Raccoon ID-opinions

Postby Jinx » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Charlie, my blonde raccoon, will be getting neutered in November. Prior to, once he is under, I am planning on getting him Microchipped. As well as microchipping I am highly considering getting him ID ear tattoos.

I will be getting my current and future dogs ID tattoos as well but am curious as to opinions to getting this done on a raccoon.

This is strictly for identification purposes and will be a sequence of numbers/letters that will be entered into a data base the same way a microchip is, nothing more.

I am curious as to thoughts on doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Jinx::Dog Trainer
OES::Low Content Wolf/GSD::Mutt::Carpet Python::2 Corn Snakes::Raccoon
the_unstable

Re: Raccoon ID-opinions

Postby the_unstable » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:33 pm

I have not researched the topic of tattooing animals, so it is only my personal opinion that I am offering. Considering it is done on Marshall ferrets as a standard, I assume it is generally not thought of to be harmful to the animal. When it comes to exotic pets, particularly native species, it is unlikely that if the animal is found, it will be checked for a microchip, so an obvious form of identification can be important if the animal is lost or escaped.

Given that your raccoon is blonde and not a standard raccoon, this can be a benefit as it may cause people to do a double take and consider whether it is a "normal" or "wild" raccoon. A collar or harness can be good for identification, but often not practical with raccoons because they tend to remove them from themselves and may also be dangerous if they're running loose and get the harness/collar caught on something. A tattoo won't be as obvious from a distance and may not prevent someone from shooting the escaped raccoon, but if the raccoon is picked up by an official or an individual, it may help prove the animal is yours and aide in the return to you.

I don't think it's a bad idea, especially considering the animal will be under anesthesia for the procedure.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:19 pm

I agree with everything the_unstable mentioned. Each method of ID has it's pros and cons. Collars definitely scare me because of the whole caught on something and strangling thing...

I was thinking about doing an eartag or something like that with Dewey - something that would be VERY visible and aid in his return should he ever escape. I wonder what's out there as far as options on eartags??

Tattooing or microchipping, IMO, would be a waste of money. Both would require your raccoon to be handled by someone if he's found, which most are unlikely to do because of the whole RABIES stigma thing. :roll:

From personal experience, tattooing the animal isn't a big deal. In our county, if we do lifetime licenses for our dogs, they can either wear tags, be tattooed or both. We opted for both on our dogs, and the youngest of ours is also microchipped. The tattoo never bothered them post surgery (tattooing always done in conjunction with the spaying/neutering), none ever seem to notice it was there. If you opt for that, I'm betting Charlie is going to be far more interested in what happened to his, um ... recently departed male parts ... than he will be about the tattoo!! :lol: When Dewey was neutered the other week, and woke from anesthesia, he kept feeling his now-empty package and looking at me like, "SOMEthing's different here, Mom, but I can't quite put my finger on it!"
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 am

An ear tag seems like a better ID form on the surface, but they present a lot of issues I think. When I bought my pig, she had the most awful ear tag on her. It was huge, it bothered her as she was always flicking her ears around. It was crusty and heavy and just awful. Getting it off was a stressful experience for everyone. Maybe there are better ear tags for animals than the one she had, but I can't imagine that a raccoon, as flexible and agile as they are, would not pick at something like that in their ear, depending on how large and heavy it is.

I see DeweysMom's point about the microchip and tattooing possibly being a waste of money, but for me, I think the extra small expense to even hopefully help increase the odds of protecting my animal and insuring his/her return to me is worth the try. With the raccoon in consideration being a captive bred coloration, I think people will already be wondering if the animal they are seeing is a "normal", wild animal anyway, so I think tattooing and micro chipping are an even better idea for this animal for this reason.

It's just a personal choice really. I don't think the animal has much to lose in the situation, so it boils down to whether or not you want to spend the money.
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Maybe there are better ear tags for animals than the one she had, but I can't imagine that a raccoon, as flexible and agile as they are, would not pick at something like that in their ear, depending on how large and heavy it is.

I totally agree with your opinion regarding ear tags. That's why I wondered if there were decent options out there. We always used the metal ear tags for our calves when they were born and then once they began giving milk, plastic numbered ear tags were added as well. For a large animal such as a cow, these worked out fairly well with few problems. But there were a few silly cows who would catch them on things and end up ripping the ear. Like you, I have a concern whether the metal ear tag would be feasible for a raccoon. Since I haven't been around ear tags in over 25 years, who knows what advances they may have made? Or perhaps none at all ... :shrug:

With the raccoon in consideration being a captive bred coloration, I think people will already be wondering if the animal they are seeing is a "normal", wild animal anyway, so I think tattooing and micro chipping are an even better idea for this animal for this reason.

I'm sorry - I keep forgetting Charlie is the blond color. When I said what I did above, I was envisioning the scenario with a typical colored raccoon. My bad! :icon-wink:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”