PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

benny is sick, any ideas?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

benny is sick, any ideas?

Postby pat » Mon May 25, 2015 8:46 pm

benny my bear is sick. I am suspecting a tumor, abscess :shrug:

he finally lost weight. (his diet has been controlled the several years)

lately, he is very lethargic icon-sad he is not eating much. (seems it started after hibernation and kept getting worse)
I am thinking the worse. :cry:

when he was overweight, his belly use to almost drag on the ground. (mostly flab)
but, after looking at him more close, he looks like a tumor or abscess. not sure.
his eyes look kind of bugged at times. sometimes red. I noticed his gums, and they seem pale. (which is not a good sign either)

I will call the vet tomorrow, but, not sure if and when he will come and look at him.
I don't know if there is anything I can give him. I thought of antibotics try till the vet gets here.
but, now sure what type.

the pictures I posted, were taken today. I tried to get his stomach, where it looks like an abscess or tumor. his fur seems fine and normal though.
I know it is hard to tell by pictures. but, thought I would give it a shot anyway, maybe someone can give me some ideas as to what could be wrong.
so far, it don't look too promising for his survival rate. :cry:

(click picture/s to enlarge for better view)
Attachments
ben8.jpg
ben7.jpg
ben6.jpg
ben5.jpg
ben4.jpg
ben3.jpg
ben2.jpg
ben1.jpg
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: benny is sick, any ideas?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 25, 2015 11:07 pm

Yeah no way to be sure just from looking but Kat had a tumor in her belly like that and we had it removed and she did better for about 6 months then she had another one show up in her liver. The vet can aspirate it to check what it is. If it's a tumor then maybe an ultrasound as if there is just the one maybe would be worth removing(though large animal surgery is probably stupid expensive) but if you saw more then one then probably would just need to try and keep him comfortable. There's a chance could be benign though. A couple times I've seen old dogs with these huge tumors and they hang around looking basically okay otherwise for years.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 26, 2015 8:46 am

thank you TG for info. I kept seeing his belly looking a bit big before, but, hubby tried blaming it on excess skin.
when I looked at benny closer, I noticed the difference.

I am concerned it could already have affected some of his organs. it looks hard. his eyes don't look good either.
I can remember I had a lllama with a very large abscess on his chest. the vet had to cut it off.
guess some animals with abscesses can be lanced. (had one of my cats with on his face)

I just hope my vet will come and look at him. he would have to be sedated. even though he is actually very friendly, (especially for a bear)
I cannot take any chances. the fact that benny is lethargic is a bigger concern for me. I really hate to lose him.

there is no way I can get benny to the vet. I could not afford to pay someone to transport him there. so I hope my vet can
do something for him here.

gonna call now and see if I can get a hold of him.

thank you again for your help and support.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Kat's first one wasn't attached to any organ and was just right under the skin. Was hard. My vet showed it to me after she took it out because she thought it was unusual. It was a simple surgery since it basically just popped right out and wasn't attached. She thought it might be benign at the time but I didn't have it tested because I knew I wouldn't do any heroic measures if it came back as cancer since she was old. She was lethargic and not cleaning herself but with it removed she did really well for awhile till the next one showed up. I understand it would be really hard to arrange a surgery on a bear though.

Maybe it could just be an abscess too and it could just be drained. A big pocket of puss would certainly be hard on the system too. The petting zoo goats used to get abcesses and they were hard. Lancing and cleaning those was one of the more nasty parts of the job.
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue May 26, 2015 3:08 pm

Pat,

I am so incredibly sorry you're going through this, I know the timing couldn't possibly be worse for you.
I put a call in to Butler Vet (724) 283-2345 and added some money to your account.

If anyone has anything at all they can afford to put towards this, Pat would NEVER ask, and I know she
could really use the help. It's Account #2391, under the name Rask.

Feel better, Pat! *hugs*
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 26, 2015 8:24 pm

TG,

vet was here today and said that it is a tumor. to find out if it is cancer, it needs to be aspirated.
I won't let anyone near the bears, even though benny is very docile. the vet was able to see him thru the fence.

hubby is going to aspirate it, and I will take it to the vet for testing. geez, the test for that only is 125.00 :shock:
if it is cancer, there is nothing that can be done.if it is not I am not sure. the removal of the tumor will be quite expensive.
the vet is looking up to see how much sedation he would need. benny weighs about 650-700 lbs.so that alone will be pretty darn expensive.

if you said your cat felt better, I wonder if benny's tumor removal would help him feel better if it is non-cancerous?
the size of his tumor is about the size of a basket ball :shock:
if it is cancer and benny gets to being really bad, I will have to have him put down. (hate to see the bill on that one)

hell, it cost me 65.00 today for the vet to come and look at him thru the fence.

thank you again for your help.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 26, 2015 8:48 pm

Ana wrote:Pat,

I am so incredibly sorry you're going through this, I know the timing couldn't possibly be worse for you.
I put a call in to Butler Vet (724) 283-2345 and added some money to your account.

If anyone has anything at all they can afford to put towards this, Pat would NEVER ask, and I know she
could really use the help. It's Account #2391, under the name Rask.

Feel better, Pat! *hugs*

thank you ana. your right, I never ask anyone for money. what a nice thing to do for me.
but, I really don't know what to expect at this point with benny. because of his size and weight
costs are so darn high for a vet icon-sad as I mentioned, if he has cancer, there is nothing that can be done :cry:
to save some money, gary is going to try the aspiration. but, the lab test only will cost 125.00.

I am hoping he don't have cancer.but, the tumor should be removed, if not, then it would be better than if he has cancer.
he will be and is uncomfortable icon-sad

thank you again ana for your support..

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 27, 2015 12:02 am

Vets keep getting more expensive. It was nearly $200 just to get Hyzzie her annual check up and a blood panel done. I can't really imagine what surgery on a bear would cost. Hopefully if it is benign and you decide on surgery it wont be too deep or like have complicated roots so that the surgery can be quick and so use less anesthesia.

Cat's first tumor was somewhere bigger than an egg but smaller than a baseball. She was a big cat but that's probably comparable to Benny's if you take into account the size of the animal(like how much of the body the tumor takes up). Even if benign tumors can be hard on the body especially if it's a kind that has a lot of blood in it because it's taking that away from the body.

If it's benign then you might want to do a blood test first to be sure nothing else is wrong with him but if there isn't then removing it could help him feel better but if there is then it might be too risky.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed May 27, 2015 3:37 pm

tg,

yep, vets are really expensive anymore. I can never walk out of the vets office under 100.00.

I am not sure what to expect with benny. after seeing him today, he did not even get up to eat.
he is just laying in his house. I brought him some ice cube and grapes. he did eat the grapes, but would not get up all.

however, by the way you explained a tumor, I guess there is a chance it still can be non-cancerous.

how much did it cost to have your cat's tumor removed?
benny's tumor is pretty big, so I can't even image how it can be removed safely.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu May 28, 2015 7:47 am

benny got up last night and walked to pen. he ate some watermellon, drank some water.
I sprayed him with the hose to cool him off(in case he was hot) but, he didn't seem to be.
it should have felt good though..

I want to thank the people that donated to my vet for benny. brought tears to my eyes when the vet called and told me.

I am waiting for my vet to call me so he can get the proper needle, slides and spray to aspirate benny's tumor.
honestly, I don't know what to expect. but, with hope, the tumor is non-cancerous. but, the removal of a tumor looks pretty major. but for now, I am taking one step at a time.

I also requested some type of pill to keep benny calm. don't think he will need it, but, we are just playing it safe.
not sure if benny will even feel the needle.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 28, 2015 1:03 pm

I don't remember for sure how much Kat's tumor surgery was. I should still have the paper here somewhere though. But probably around $200 seems most things rend to be. Everyone's in the same size range here.

Glad he had a better night. There should be something to rub on topically to numb it a bit, just to be safe.
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu May 28, 2015 5:31 pm

Hope it's nothing serious. Like TG said I've seen a lot of older (and even some fairly young) dogs with HUGE tumors hanging off their chests/legs, and they're nothing but benign fatty tissue, usually only removed if they are causing discomfort because of size or location. Good luck.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri May 29, 2015 1:08 pm

thank you TG and Juska.

the tumor benny's tumor is bigger than a basket ball.

I talked to my vet yesterday and today. (geez, he is hard to understand)
anyway, he is going to do the aspiration. the price might not be too bad on that.
but, the lab cost will be about 150.00 however, to save on knocking benny out for that.
I am getting some sedation pills to give benny before the vet gets here.
then to play it safe, he is bringing a muzzle. I know benny would not bite, but, I still cannot take a chance.
the aspiration shouldn't take long, I hope.

the texture of the tumor is not really rock hard. it is a little spongy. so I am wondering if some can be a fluid build up?

when I talked to my vet this morning, he said if the tumor is non-cancerous, it should be removed.
but.......... get this................. he prefers me to bring benny to the office :shock:
he thinks it will be a complex surgery. (the looks at the tumor, I think it would be too)

how in the hell am I suppose to transport a 700lb bear to the vets, then I have to even wonder if he will fit thru their door.
not to mention, who is going to pick him up :roll: I guess they could put him on a gurney :shrug:

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Barrow a horse trailer would be the only thing I can think of though he may need sedated if you don't have one that is totally enclosed to ensure he doesn't climb out a window or something.

If it's semi soft maybe it is just a fatty tumor. That would be the best possibility. Quasi had a huge one in his chest, well not as huge as Benny's or cats I guess. It was kind of like someone sliced an apple in half and stuck it in his chest but softer. It never caused problems though. The fatty tumors normally don't but I guess they could if big enough.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:02 am

Did Benny have his mass aspirated yet?
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”