PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

benny is sick, any ideas?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ana

Re: benny is sick, any ideas?

Postby Ana » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Oh Pat, I'm so sorry. And right on the heels of poor Billy. I can't imagine how hard this
has got to be. If there is ANYTHING we can do to help, please, please let me know. We've
got all the work finished here on the enclosure and are totally free for anything. I am so
sorry, but thank goodness he's out of pain. :(
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:57 pm

Sorry to hear about Benny, Pat. I know you loved him very much. You did everything you could; sometimes our "children" are taken away from us without any explanation or way to help. But you loved him for many years and I'm sure he's being a very happy bear up at the Rainbow Bridge while he waits for you.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:05 pm

Thank you everyone for your support.

I am just so saddened. he is the 3rd animal that died this year icon-sad

now, I feel bad for sybil, and concerned how she will be. I checked on her early this morning,
and she was sitting next to benny's body bobbing her head back and forth, she did finally lay down, but next to benny.
Oscar (my steer) is even sad. he is staying close to the pen where benny is.
I need to get sybil on the other side of the pen (it is divided) so, I can lock her in there while
gary pulls benny out of the pen.

benny is being buried today. gary's tractor was not working, so we borrowed one today from
a guy we have been doing with business with over the years. he sells, tractor. so that part worked out.

I tried yesterday to get a paw print of benny, but, didn't have enough clay. got more today,
and will try again. if it works out, I will post a picture of it.

Ana, thank you for your kind offers.

thank you again everyone for being here for me.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:49 pm

benny was buried yesterday. it took hours to get sybil away from benny.
she would not leave his side. I seen her trying to move him, not sure what she was trying to do..

it was a very sad day. sybil is very depressed, and not sure what I can do to help her.
I seen tears in her eyes :cry: I am concerned how she will be at hibernation time.

Oscar (my steer) stayed at the grave site as gary was filling in the dirt and even afterwards.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:08 pm

That's so sad. I hope she can adjust. Maybe some new enrichment might help a little, at least after a bit of grieving.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm sorry to hear this Pat. I know Benny was a good guy.
Hopefully sybil adjusts soon. Does she like dogs? Maybe she needs a pet like a newfoundland or something. Or maybe the steer a d her will bond better?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:30 am

TG,

not sure what I can do that will help for enrichment. I have been trying to spend more time with her.
it's hard for me, my days are just so horrible with so much work and other problems.

LG,
benny was a hell of a guy for a bear. not one mean streak in him.
I can remember one time, when sybil wanted out of the enclosure when gary was feeding them.
sybil was trying to get past gary, (she would have bit if she couldn't get her way)
benny slapped sybil and made her move. pretty much saved gary from getting bit.
In his 13 years,he never tried to bite, or showed any aggression. he loved to be petted and loved attention.

the only time he showed some aggression(a few month ago) is when the vet kept trying to sedate him to check his tumor on his stomach. (still didn't bite, just showed his teeth) the sedatives the vet gave benny gave him the reverse effect. it was horrible. benny's blood pressure dropped to dangerous low. the vet had to give him a reversal. so, all the vet was able to manage the aspiration on his tumor, which turned out to be a fatty tumor.... it's so hard not knowing why benny died.
bears are usually pretty healthy overall. I really was hoping benny would have went under, I wanted the vet to check him,and possibly do blood work. maybe this would have told me something. :shrug:

toward the end of his life, he was not eating, he would try, but, would throw up. it was so sad.

I can't put my dogs with sybil. only have 2 left, one a beagle, the other a coonhound. the dogs sybil grew up with are all dead now. this weekend, I am going to put oscar in with her and see how she does. the only problem is, the way the pen is set up,
oscar won't fit thru the door that goes to the other side. (I have visions of oscar making his own door)
but, will try and see how it goes. I can try putting a bale of hay on the one side.

thank you for your help and support. again, so happy to see another post from you..

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:14 pm

I've been following your website for a while now and got a TON of useful information from it.

I'm so, so sorry that you lost Benny.
You took wonderful care of your bears. I know that we as pet owners tend to blame ourselves, but often there is nothing to be done. You gave him a wonderful life.

How is Sybil doing?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:31 am

GitaBooks wrote:I've been following your website for a while now and got a TON of useful information from it.

I'm so, so sorry that you lost Benny.
You took wonderful care of your bears. I know that we as pet owners tend to blame ourselves, but often there is nothing to be done. You gave him a wonderful life.

How is Sybil doing?

Thank you GitaBtrooks.

the hardest part of losing Benny is not knowing what was wrong with him. He was such a good guy. very docile.

Sybil's moods has changed drastically. she is very calm. I am sure she is still mourning. I try to spend as much time with her as I can.

I am concerned when she is ready for hibernation. I was thinking of finding a very large stuffed animal and a couple of her favorite blankets in her den. also will use hay instead of straw. any ideas would be appreciated.

thank you for your concern.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:55 pm

Those are good ideas. I hope it helps her feel more comfortable during hibernation.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:59 pm

I am very sorry to hear this. RIP Benny. I hope Sybil learns to get on with her life ok. For hibernation maybe lavender will help?
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:30 pm

naja-naja wrote:I am very sorry to hear this. RIP Benny. I hope Sybil learns to get on with her life ok. For hibernation maybe lavender will help?
thank you. I think Sybil will be OK, I hope so. what form of lavender? does that help in calming?

naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:29 am

lavender is often used to calm both animals and people and to help them sleep, i don't know how it works or even what type of lavender to use (never knew there were different types!) but perhaps mixing some dried lavender in with the hay or straw will help. putting it in with dog's bedding and even under a humans pillow does help aid sleep and calm anxiety.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”