PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Diatomaceous Earth Amount

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Diatomaceous Earth Amount

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:30 pm

I'm going to be ordering a 50 lb bag. Those of you who use it on your pets, how much do you give them and how often? I want to know how long one bag is going to last me with the two foxes and two dogs.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Diatomaceous Earth Amount

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:04 pm

It's about 1 tsp a day for cats and small dogs. If they have tape worms 2 tsp but 1 is fine as a preventative. I use it as preventative for the anteaters and it works great that way. I don't normally give it to the dogs but Hyzzie has been eating cat poop again on her walks so has worms. I've been dragging my feet about worming her since she reacted badly last time. I may see if there's any way to get 2 tsp down her but I kind of doubt it though it has no flavor so maybe.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:52 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:It's about 1 tsp a day for cats and small dogs. If they have tape worms 2 tsp but 1 is fine as a preventative. I use it as preventative for the anteaters and it works great that way. I don't normally give it to the dogs but Hyzzie has been eating cat poop again on her walks so has worms. I've been dragging my feet about worming her since she reacted badly last time. I may see if there's any way to get 2 tsp down her but I kind of doubt it though it has no flavor so maybe.

Thanks. That gives me a pretty good idea of what to give to my animals. Wow, a 50 lb bag is going to last a LONG time! I'm excited to get some. I want to use it as a preventative too and give it to the foxes and dogs and anything else that comes my way.

Might be a weird question, but I'm curious... Do you know if it can be given to reptiles and birds? Not like I'm going to be giving it to my snakes, but sometimes lizards have problems.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:34 am

It should be fine. It's not supposed to even hurt earthworms. I tried putting some around a plant the snails hit and they left snail slime on it so I guess they didn't mind it either. I think it's a matter of the parasites being small enough for the damage from the DE to matter or to even cause damage at all.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:15 am

Birds-Yes, widely used for poultry
Reptiles-Mixed reviews. Would be best feeding in salads (igs, beardies, torts, etc.) or in crested gecko diet or a baby food type treat.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:38 pm

I was thinking of ordering this for my dogs/cat as well. Let me know how they do on it.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:41 am

Thank-you!

minervasden wrote:Birds-Yes, widely used for poultry
Reptiles-Mixed reviews. Would be best feeding in salads (igs, beardies, torts, etc.) or in crested gecko diet or a baby food type treat.

Ah, thanks. I was mostly wondering about lizards, so that answered that question. :) I need to get some chickens soon though, so I could mix it into their feed.

Juska wrote:I was thinking of ordering this for my dogs/cat as well. Let me know how they do on it.

Sure. :) I will let you know. Supposedly it works great, and I know a lot of people on here have recommended it--which is why I had to take another look at it. Sometimes it takes me a while to try new ideas. It would be so much cheaper than buying all the flea stuff and worm preventatives from the vet.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:31 pm

Would any of you who order food grade DE online share your shopping links? I have a friend who cannot buy it locally. Thank you.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:38 pm

I looked real quick online, seems you can get at amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Organics-Diatomac ... 8P8FWT0WJ6

I bought some at my local farm store. "agway" not sure if tractor supply sells it.
many stores have online ordering.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:55 pm

minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Thank you.

Edit-Sorry, Pat. For some reason only saw Ash's response. Thank you too of course.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”