PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

exotic vaccines

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

exotic vaccines

Postby pat » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:25 am

Remember even if vaccinated if a bite or scratch is reported your pet exotic will be taken and tested(killed) for rabies. It's the law. If you tell a DR your pet caused the injury the DR has to report it to the health Dept by law and they will come for your animal. Avoid contact with untrusted people and if you do get injured claims something else caused it, is what most people do.

VACINE INFO for exotic animals:

For non domestic carnivores
vaccination recommendation.pdf
(16.73 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

For wildlife
http://www.wildcare.com/vacc/species.php
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
foxy

Re: exotic vaccines

Postby foxy » Wed May 18, 2016 8:06 am

how old should a red fox be and what should I worm him with? also for flea control is "front line for puppies" ok to use?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed May 18, 2016 9:31 am

can't remember the age of the first vaccine. I think a month or two.

as for worming, get them tested first, if there are no worms, don't give the fox something that is not needed.

also, keep in mind, if you keep your fox in an enclosure at adult age, chances are very slim they will get rabies.
the distemper would be good, just in case. animals get rabies when bitten by another rabid animal.

frontline for puppies is OK, but, there is other spot on that will do more. I think it is revolution.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Tiny Tracks recommends giving foxes their vaccines at 3 months. Other vets recommend giving them the vaccines at the same time you would as a puppy.

My vet really felt like I should give the vaccines at puppy intervals. She called around and that was the answer she got from several other sources. Obviously I'm not wanting to discount Dave (Tiny Tracks) because he has worked with foxes for decades.

Speaking to your vet to see which one would be best for you in your area would probably be the best idea.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Are vaccinations for exotics standard across the board?

You're not going to run into something like this...source A said vaccine Z is recommended, while source B said vaccine Y is recommended.

Should the breeder know what vaccines will work for your exotic, or is this all on the animal doctor you choose for your exotic?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:53 pm

I would usually go with the breeder, personally. Many vets do not have experience with exotics, whereas a breeder does and has a vet who is comfortable treating their animals already. So I'd go with what the breeder does in most cases, assuming they're reputable.

That being said, it's not good to dismiss the advice from your vet. Some diseases may be more common in your area, and you may need to vaccinate for additional stuff.

I haven't really seen conflicting info for the actual types of vaccines used. That part seems pretty standard, at least where foxes are concerned.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”