PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Raccoon cryptorchid, anyone?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ana

Raccoon cryptorchid, anyone?

Postby Ana » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:45 pm

Hey guys. It looks like Jude's right testicle has decided not to descend. It's something
that's made more difficult to monitor because he carries all of his weight squarely in his
rump. :roll: I've been (trying) to check every day, but there's been no changes.

Jude's vet has never performed this surgery on a coon. Because Jude's also got
some mild apnea, I decided to check around for a vet who has experience with
coon cryptorchid, or even just plenty of cryptorchid experience. 100 phone calls later
(literally), there's nobody in either our state or the adjoining state. Most clinicians
thought the wildlife rehab organizations would be the answer, but I found it very
unlikely that the wildlife rehab would be performing many neuter surgeries, which they
confirmed when I called. icon-sad

I'm scared. I'd prefer to just skip the neuter, but having it up there, vascularized, I'm
equally afraid of. And the cancer possibility, and the testosterone boost that it will
provide may create changes in his personality. It has to come out, ASAP. I've made
a tentative appointment to discuss it again with our vet Thursday, but his blank
expression and lack of confidence in our previous talks has really got me stressed.

Is there anything any of you know about cryptorchid surgery in coons,? Is anyone
aware of a surgeon within 600 miles of Pittsburgh, PA with this type of experience?
His mild apnea concerns me because the anaesthesiologist is going to have to be on
point - this won't be a 10 minute surgery.

Jude says 'OHAI!'. We spend every minute together, he's just the greatest guy. I'm
so afraid something will go wrong, but I know inaction will definitely make something
go wrong. :(
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Raccoon cryptorchid, anyone?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:48 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned about the removal it's self as you said the anesthesia is a bit more concerning because of the apnea. I'd look more into they know how to deal with that than the type of surgery it's self.
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:29 pm

I want to hover over their shoulders and physically monitor the ordeal, so there's
no opportunity for incompetence. :( I'll talk to the doctor Thursday and make sure
they've got their very best scheduled for that day, I don't know what else I can do.
Initially, I thought forget it, he's just not going to be neutered, but after reading
up on canine consequences, it just isn't an option. There's this cloud of dread over
it for me that I can't shake, so it's probably best to get it over with as soon as
possible. The last individual I saw with cryptorchid had a long recovery and was
purple from neck to tail with bruising (cat), so that's not helping my outlook. :(
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:50 am

wouldn't an x-ray or another test show how far up the testicle is?
can you feel where it is? I will give our vet credit when larry had liver cancer.
he felt it right away. (didn;t he know he had it till vet told me)
I think the vet might be able to feel how far it is by feeling it. :shrug:

from what I have read so far, sounded like some are further and some are not that far.
so, if it was not too far up, maybe just a small slit would remove it quicker :shrug:

I watched the vet neuter a friends bear. he was about 300lb. took him less than 10 minutes.

are you sure he has apnea? maybe the vet could check that and cure that before he does the surgery :shrug:

you really can't compare a cat to a coon. coons are not as fragile as a cat.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:59 pm

On the apnea is he tubby? A neighbor had lap band surgery o loose weight because he drove truck and wasn't allowed to drive any more due to developing apnea. He said a lot of people stop having apnea once they loose weight.
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:12 pm

He is tubby. We've been so accustomed to Corso's weird, finicky diet that
we've let him eat perhaps too much. It's healthy options, but the portions
are too large. He's also not fully weaned yet, once again, treating the situation
as if it was Corso, trying to allow self weaning. He's definitely overdoing it
on calories. I tried to get a recommended daily intake from our vet, he had
no idea, and considers obesity to be inevitable in any captive coon.

He gets huge amounts of exercise each day, and has fantastic muscle mass in his
arms and upper body, but fat has collected around his rear. It's difficult to locate
even the one testicle because of it.

I've never had to withhold food from a mammal before. I'm going to water down his
bottles a bit more, and look into some high fiber, low calorie snack options to try and
get him full without so many calories. I believe he is 17 weeks old now?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 pm

I personally don't think Jude is obese. however, I don't think the formula is helping. he gets a lot of exercise.
if anything, it could be the formula causing breathing problems. :shrug:

usually people that get apnea is too overweight. I have no idea about animals. george was almost double his weight,
and he never had any type of apnea.

if possible, give Jude, a little food at a time. that is what I have been doing with george. he is finally losing weight.
with coons of george's size, or any overweight coon, it should not be quick weight loss.

again, I personally don't think Jude is obese.

Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:03 pm

Those pictures are current. I don't feel he's obese, but Dr. gave me 'the look' when
he saw his chubby rear end and declared him obese. :roll: He's probably got a growth
spurt coming up, but you just saw him recently, Pat! Corso too! They can't possibly
be obese, can they?? Corso is 23lbs and Jude is 7lb. I'm certainly in no position of
education to argue with a doctor, if it wasn't for his blank stares to so many of my
questions, I'd never disagree with him, but damnit, we've worked so hard to give
these boys access to every type of possible enrichment and exercise.

:wall:

We do have the bottles down to twice a day, morning and evening, 8oz each time. He
grazes all through the day on bite size bits of chicken, raw veg, mashed potato, yoghurt,
seeds, berries, egg, almonds (his fav), pasta. This is all 1 tablespoon or so at a time. He
isn't ever sitting down to huge meals. There's always grain free kibble available to anybody
who wants it - it would be difficult to determine who is eating what percentage
each day, but we don't go through much kibble, so I hadn't considered it an issue?

I asked the vet for an xray or ultrasound just prior to the surgery, to try and keep the
exploration to a minimum. Corso was there that day getting his yearly physical and that
might have had the vet overwhelmed. When next we see him it'll just be Jude, maybe
he'll be more focused. icon_confused.gif
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:36 am

Those pictures are current. I don't feel he's obese, but Dr. gave me 'the look' when
he saw his chubby rear end and declared him obese
wait a minute, you mean vet did not say he was overweight?
you are assuming he thinks Jude is by his look? if thats the case, you can't go by his expressions.
again, next time you see the vet, make sure you ask him questions and dont' quit till you get the correct answer.
if you don't understand what he is saying or gives you that "blank look" speak up and tell him you want his opinion and options.
if he dont respond, ask him how much his raccoon weighs :lol:

when I had george there in feburary, he never once said anything about his weight. (we know what a porker he was)
the only thing the vet said later was he was not sure if he could get blood work cause of his weight. but, he did manage to get the blood work. actually, TG found the correct levels for a raccoon, cause vet compared george's levels to a dogs level.
(thank you again TG)

7lbs is not obese, I seen Jude and Corso and they are very active and not obese. it's the bottle that concerns me.
did you try blending fruit in a bottle for him? otherwise, let Jude throw his temper tantrum, he will get over it.

you might want to limit the access all day food. not because they are fat, so they don't become fat and get use to picking all day. but, I doubt they will, your boys have lots of other interests.

I asked the vet for an xray or ultrasound just prior to the surgery, to try and keep the
exploration to a minimum
did he ever answer at all? I have read, sometimes it can be detected with xray or ultrasound. I am hoping vet can find it by feeling for it.

Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Finally got to speak with him today. He did verbally declare them both obese, and also
gave me a weird look, like "of course" when I expressed dismay about them being fat.
He didn't blame me for their fat, and said there's very little anyone can do to prevent that.
He did weigh them both, but I guess he feels 7lbs. is a bit too heavy for Jude's age?
I watch them exercise every single day, and I just have trouble accepting that either
of them is fat. :/

He tried feeling for the teste, but couldn't, citing the fat. I've also had trouble feeling for it.

He says he's not concerned about the breathing irregularity, because Jude will be
intubated. He also said he doesn't feel the need to do any prior imaging, that he's
going to follow the vas deferens to the missing teste and hopefully it's just sitting
in the inguinal canal and will be no trouble. He feels like once Jude is under, he'll
be able to feel around for it. He definitely could have used the opportunity to do
unnecessary imaging, if he was trying to rack up charges, as I was the one who
suggested the imaging, so it's nice that he isn't going to take every opportunity to
increase the charges.

It's scheduled for the 20th, that was the first availability for surgery. I've also asked
them to allow some extra time so nobody is rushed. All we can do now is wait, I guess. :/

The bottles are very watered down now, he's just such a heavy nurser. There are suck
marks all over our arms from his comfort nursing. I can't take his little bottles away yet.
I'll try to cut the volume of formula once more.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:39 pm

Finally got to speak with him today. He did verbally declare them both obese, and also
gave me a weird look, like "of course" when I expressed dismay about them being fat.

are you saying you asked him if he thinks corso and jude are obese? if you did, he sometimes might just agree with what you say. otherwise, he might be comparing them to coons in the wild where their food is not as plentiful.
also, he might not be thinking the build of a raccoon is completely different than a dog. a raccoon carries more weight
at their back end.

I personally don't think 7lbs is obese for Jude. keep in mind, even though some raccoons might weigh more than others,
is usually due to their body structure/size. just like people. some are over all bigger than others.

larry use to weigh about 25lbs, the vet never said he was obese. the day I had to put larry down, he weighed 18lbs.
however, when larry was younger, he was a little overweight, but, he did lose some later. with season changes, that is normal ups and downs.

but, please don't be concerned that the vet told you both are overweight. sometimes if hears you say something, he will just agree.

did the vet give you any indication about Jude's breathing issue? I think he will be able to feel where it is.
I am surprised he said imaging was not needed.

when Jude sucks on your arm, can you distract him with something else? have you tried using water mixed with honey?
or a little brown sugar/syrup? maybe wean him down with that, and mix a little milk?

try not to worry (easier said than done) I think he will be OK.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”