PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

my dog can't walk, any ideas?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

my dog can't walk, any ideas?

Postby pat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:46 am

Anna my coonhound can't walk. she is 8 yrs old. she is not eating. she is drinking water, she hasn't gone out to go to the bathroom. she walked a little last night, but, she had a hard time.

I gave her some tremadale (pain med) yesterday and this morning. did not help at all.
she is one of the dogs that came from a bad breeder. the past dogs from that breeder died at 5-8 yrs old. icon-sad

I have a vet appointment for friday. but, I don't think the outcome is going to be good. icon-sad
I am thinking cancer?

any ideas to make her comfortable? or anything I can give her?

To add to the mix, my car is being repaired, lots of major problems with that.

I can use hubby's truck, but, will be hard to get Anna in a truck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: my dog can't walk, any ideas?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:35 pm

What exactly is going on? Dragging her back end? Just not wanting to get up and move? Legs slipping out from under her when she tries to get up? Front or back or all of them? Or is she just weak? Unbalanced?

If it's a slipped disc or pinched nerve the tramadol will help with pain but not inflammation so wont do anything to help her walk. If her kidneys are in good shape the vet will likely prescribe some steroids to see if that helps, assuming it's spinal. If you have metacam on hand you can give that to help with inflammation some but probably wont be enough on it's own. Though they will not want to give steroids until the metacam is out of the system so maybe wait but the sooner you do something the better the chances of some recovery.

When Goldie's back gave out after a fall we let her go even though there was some movement in her legs since she already had failing liver and kidneys and cancer in her mouth. Prior to that though other slipped discs/pinched nerves were treated with either antiinflamitories or steroids.

Hyzzie has trouble getting her legs under her when she first gets up so I carpeted the floor around her bed, water bowl and to her pee pad. She's okay once up and moving for now.

You can try putting her in a harness to help take the weight of of her and help her go out. When Goldie's legs gave out. I kept her the night since I knew that would be it and she didn't seem in pain. She actually held it till I carried her out in the morning which would have been a good sign if she was younger.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:58 pm

she can't walk at all. she walked a little last night from the living room to my room, but had a hard time.
she is laying on a dog cot.. she has not gone out to the bathroom all day today and most of yesterday.

she won't eat much, she will drink water as long as I hold the dish for her.

seems to be painful in back legs or lower back, or the whole thing. hard to tell.
she whines a little off and on. something is hurting her.

what will metacam do? don't have any, but, can get hubby to pick some up.

trying to get her from the house to the truck is going to be a task. she will have to be carried.
she weighs around 100lbs

I asked the vet for some rimadle, but they won't give me many cause they haven't seen Anna for over 6 months :roll:

I can't let her lay here till friday, I can bring her in as an emergency, which will be an extra 50.00.
the problem is gettng her out of the house and in the truck. going to ask my neighbor if he can help carry her.
will use a blanket. now, the problem is, if she is put down, hubbys tractor don't work and it is raining.

this is all too much for me right now. but, I can't let her in pain.

thank you for responding.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:11 pm

The metacam is like the remadyl an antiinflamitory. I think it's a bit safer. That's what my vet usually gives. I think it's the same deal though, you'd have to get it from the vet. Don't think you can get it otherwise. I have some on hand though for Hyzzie. It comes in a liquid.

It's hard to guess what is going on just from what you have said.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:23 pm

thought the metcam I could get over the the counter. icon-sad

Anna got up, but, had a hard time walking, but, glad to see she at least got up.
she had to pee, and wow, did she ever. she squatted OK though. :shrug:

do you think neproxin would be safe? I have a bunch of that. but, thought I read not to give to dogs. :shrug:

After Anna come back in the house, she managed to get up on a footon.
but, now is laying there, it is near the doggie door, so that would be better.

when she walked, it looked like one of her legs that she had a problem with. hard to tell.

hopefully, I can wait till friday for the vet visit. maybe there is hope after all. :shrug:
I hope so, I am not ready for her to leave me.. can't take loosing another one of my babies so soon.

Thank again TG, I really appreciate your ideas and support.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:54 pm

No the naproxin is not safe. Glad she seems a bit better and was up and moving. Still hard to say what it could be. Best guess right now might be neck if she's having front leg issues.

The one time I rushed Hyzzie to the vet I though it might be vestibular but the e-vet thought pinched nerve in her neck but that was based on my description since she was acting better aside from her front paws. In hindsight maybe was a stroke but we'll never know. Was different though. She was restless and panting and seeming to lose her balance and fall over. Ever since she's held her front paw funny.

Sounds like your girl may be just in too much pain to want to move which could still be neck pain which what you're giving her will at least help with the pain part of it.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:39 pm

I called the vet again today, and asked about the naproxin. yep, your right, not good to give to dogs.
however, they had a cancellation tomorrow. so, I will bring Anna in at 11:00 AM

Anna seems to have pain in her hind end or leg. hard to tell.

As we know, it is so hard for us not knowing what is wrong. icon-sad

hopefully, will get some answers tomorrow.

Thank you again for your info and telling me about poor Hyzzie.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:46 pm

Glad you can get her in tomorrow.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:39 am

Based on seeing her this morning, I am pretty sure she will be coming home in a body bag. :cry:
will let you know when I get home. thank you again.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:51 pm

back from the vets. good news and bad news.

the good news is I didn't have to put Anna Down.

The bad news is she has Lyme disease. icon-sad which is mostly the reason she couldn't walk.
She also has some arthritis. Anna has to be on doxycyline for 30 days. also she got some deramax for arthritis.

A concern was if the lyme disease affected any of her organs, and fortunately, it did not.
All this cost me almost $500.00 :shock:

What I hope is some of the members here read this,and learn from my mistakes and from what I have learned more about lyme disease.

first, there is a preventive shot for lyme. previously, I did research on it awhile back, and didnt sound all that great.
after talking with the vet, she said she was aware of that, but, now they have an updated shot.
I figured it would be cheaper to get the injection, rather than pay this kind of money and go through the heart break of the owner. Now I need to take my other 2 dogs to get tested. Anna goes back to the vets in 2 weeks. They did a blood test to see at what level the lyme is, I will know this in a few days.

What I also learned (I guess most members here know this) but, cats don't generally get lyme disease. However, my views only, if the cat/s are not protected, I think they can transfer ticks to a dog that is not protected. Also, many monthly flea/tick prevention don't always work... as we know people can get lyme disease.. I know a guy that did get lyme, he went through hell to get it taken care of... According to the vet, it affects people worse than dogs.
however, with dogs, if left untreated for too long, it will affect their kidneys and other organs.

For fleas (can't remember if the vet said it covers ticks), but the vet suggested capastar, which is a pill that lasts for 3 months. (which would be kind of nice to treat every 3 months). but, I still need to do more research on capastar.
if anyone knows anything about it, please share with us. The capastar cost a little over $50.00. which would average out to be about 16.67 a month. not too far off from spot on flea treatment. I will look and see if I can find it cheaper.
Will let everyone know what I find.

Sorry for the long post, but, I am really only trying to help others so they don't go through what I did today.
I just hope some of the members here found this info helpful.

TG, Thank very much for helping and supporting me. I really appreciate it.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:23 pm

I don't think we have Lyme disease here or if we do it's extremely rare. But that does sound awful. Glad it's something treatable though.

I'm just a bit nervous of Capstar because if your pet has a reaction they are stuck with it for 6 months but it's very popular and vast majority are fine. I like revolution best but it's still pretty pricey. It does fleas, ticks, heartworm and some internal parasites too. So considering it does all of that with a monthly application it could be considered not as pricey as it's replacing other things by doing so much.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Glad you didn't have to bring Anna home in a body bag. I hope she recovers well and without complication. At some point it would be a good idea to get her on quality joint/arthritis/inflammation supplement(s).

Thought I'd add a link for anyone interested in further info on Lyme in dogs http://www.2ndchance.info/lyme.htm
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:23 pm

TG,

glad you don't have problems with lyme disease. it use to be safer here, but, don't know what happened.
I have been looking at revolution, since you use it and it works. Where is the best place to get it at?

Also, called the vet office this morning and requested an itemized bill from yesterday, but, did not get the fax yet.
I asked her what they sell there for flea and tick, she said she uses a flea collar, she claimed it worked great.
since I didn't get the fax (I asked her to write the name of it on my bill) I am not sure what it is.
I did do some reviews on "seresto" which I am suspecting that is what it is. it is suppose to last 8 months.
didn't like the bad reviews, there was a lot of good reviews though. don't want to take any chances.
I always stayed away from flea collars.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:29 pm

minervasden wrote:Glad you didn't have to bring Anna home in a body bag. I hope she recovers well and without complication. At some point it would be a good idea to get her on quality joint/arthritis/inflammation supplement(s).

Thought I'd add a link for anyone interested in further info on Lyme in dogs http://www.2ndchance.info/lyme.htm

honestly, she looked so bad yesterday, I really thought there was no way she would walk again.
she shocked me today though. she is now walking normal. in fact, the brat went outside for a few hours
and someone her and my aussie got out of the fence. when I called them, they did come back.
so, I guess Anna is back to herself. I am very surprised she made such a quick recovery.

The vet said, she will most likely be on deramaxx the rest of her life, would that be the same as the supplements you mentioned?
I plan on getting the refill of deramaxx from sams club, lot cheaper than the vets.

Thank you for that article you posted, it was very very informative.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:49 pm

deramaxx is an antiinflamitory. I had been using ArthAway for Byzzie it works really well but I stopped since somethings might not be good for her ailing kidneys and it seemed it started affecting her appetite. But with healthy kidneys it's fine. It worked great for her even though I was giving much less than recommended.

Revolution is still by the vet or prescription only, which is why it's expensive, but they can give you a prescription so that you can order it online and find it a bit cheaper, sometimes.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”