PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

my dog can't walk, any ideas?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ana

Re: my dog can't walk, any ideas?

Postby Ana » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:50 pm

Oh my goodness what a HUGE relief! And a HUGE vet bill, of course :roll:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Ana wrote:Oh my goodness what a HUGE relief! And a HUGE vet bill, of course :roll:

so true on both. Anna goes back for her 2 week check, who knows what the bill will be.
leo and lucy will cost about 200.00 or more just to check for the lyme.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:07 pm

pat wrote:
honestly, she looked so bad yesterday, I really thought there was no way she would walk again.
she shocked me today though. she is now walking normal. in fact, the brat went outside for a few hours
and someone her and my aussie got out of the fence. when I called them, they did come back.
so, I guess Anna is back to herself. I am very surprised she made such a quick recovery.

The vet said, she will most likely be on deramaxx the rest of her life, would that be the same as the supplements you mentioned?
I plan on getting the refill of deramaxx from sams club, lot cheaper than the vets.

Thank you for that article you posted, it was very very informative.

By supplements I meant mostly nonprescription (though some are) products such as herbs, vitamins, minerals, glucosamine, fish oils, etc. used for their anti-inflammatory properties. The ArthAway TG mentioned is one. Deramaxx is a NSAID as is Rimadyl, Asprin, etc. and they really aren't intended for indefinite long term use in humans or pets. The goal of using a supplement would be weaning the pet off a maintenence NSAID or down to a minimal dose such every few days or weekly while maintaining and/or improving joint health, and fighting pain and inflammation.

Your vet should be able to recommend a product/ingredients to purchase as he's seen Anna's lab results. Most are nonprescription that you can buy online or a natural pet store. In my experience most 'regular' pet stores often don't have a selection of quality products.

Here are some common arthritis medications plus a couple extras.
http://www.uvhdc.com/files/2012/05/ArthritisMedicationDogs.pdf
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:41 pm

minervasden,

thank you for the info. I did a little research on deramaxx. I will not use it. too many side affects, also, looked at the bill today,
vet charged me 53.30 for 11 ( 100mg pills), which anna is suppose to get halve each day.
will look into the non-prescription tomorrow, but, will look more more into your's and TG's suggestions.
pretty tired right now.. had a long day as usual.

minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:13 pm

pat wrote:minervasden,

thank you for the info. I did a little research on deramaxx. I will not use it. too many side affects, also, looked at the bill today,
vet charged me 53.30 for 11 ( 100mg pills), which anna is suppose to get halve each day.
will look into the non-prescription tomorrow, but, will look more more into your's and TG's suggestions.
pretty tired right now.. had a long day as usual.

There are cons of all medications. The best you can do is weight the cons of using vs the cons of not using and do what is best for the pet/situation. Lyme disease is a serious condition and it looks like you have about a 3 week supply. That is a very reasonable length of time in my opinion.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:26 pm

I haven't looked at the deramaxx but usually all the NSAID's have similar drawbacks. You could ask for the metacam or remadyl if you're more comfortable with that but they wont likely refund you on the duramax.

Hyzzie has the metacam for her arthritis but we rarely use it since supplements seem to keep her mobile and not limping. Long term use is bad for the kidneys and hers are already old and worn but it's there for the rare times she does need it.

But I agree for now it can be given to help her through the rough patch in her illness.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:04 am

thank you for info.

I think for now, I will try and limit the deramaxx. won't give it to her everyday, will just see if there is any change in her without it.

Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:30 am

How's Anna doing? I was thinking about the new raised beds you recently got, so fortuitously timed!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:09 am

Anna is remarkably better. I am shocked how fast she is improving.

even the day after she come back from the vets, she was able to walk better.

each day gets better. she is back to normal. but, now so paranoid about ticks.

debating about the tick injection. anyone have any info on that?
suppose to last for (I think) 4-6 months.

Leo had a few ticks on him, they are hard to find on him cause of his long fur.
I plan on taking leo and lucy to the vet for lyme testing. going to trim leo's fur, might take him to a groomer to have him shaved down and bathed.

Forgot to mention I heard spraying brown listerine on dogs or people deters ticks from jumping on an animal or people.
I have some, and plan on using that every time my dogs go outside.

Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:39 pm

I've never heard of a tick injection! Does the monthly advantage/revolution/frontline drops not cover ticks!? I always thought it did. Such a relief about Anna, too many losses.

Are you still on target for the swap? I'm thinking if we go, I'll make sure to bring a good diaper bag so we can have lunch and hang out, even if there's a baby along for the ride! I wanted to bring Judah, but it's such a long trip, he'd probably turn into a creep. :D
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:28 am

Pat, have you looked at the chewable flea and tick preventative? I've been using that with Emo and she's had next to no fleas, and we haven't found a tick on her in forever. I think the kind we use is called Nexguard or something. The vet gave my mom a free sample one, I've been giving it to Emo ever since. Since you're also in PA and probably have similar flea and tick populations I figured I'd mention it.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:07 pm

Ana wrote:I've never heard of a tick injection! Does the monthly advantage/revolution/frontline drops not cover ticks!? I always thought it did. Such a relief about Anna, too many losses.

Are you still on target for the swap? I'm thinking if we go, I'll make sure to bring a good diaper bag so we can have lunch and hang out, even if there's a baby along for the ride! I wanted to bring Judah, but it's such a long trip, he'd probably turn into a creep. :D

vet told me about injection. think it is suppose to last about 3 months. I am always leery with new products.
anna is going back april 4 for a re-check.

the revolution is good, but, expensive every month for 3 dogs. not to mention my cats. however, from what I read, cats don't generally get lyme disease. :shrug:

yes, so far for the swap. I hope gary can get my car fixed by then.needs lots of work, and he can only work on one or two days a week.
I need whole gas line replaced and a bunch of other stuff. had my car at the garage for inspection, he wanted over 1000.00 for the repairs.

I am really looking forward to going to mt hope, I need to get away.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:13 pm

Juska wrote:Pat, have you looked at the chewable flea and tick preventative? I've been using that with Emo and she's had next to no fleas, and we haven't found a tick on her in forever. I think the kind we use is called Nexguard or something. The vet gave my mom a free sample one, I've been giving it to Emo ever since. Since you're also in PA and probably have similar flea and tick populations I figured I'd mention it.

I think I did, is that the one that lasts 3-6 months? I got mixed reviews on that, hate to use something that might not be safe.
will ask my vet again about it.

so far, fleas are not a problem (don't have carpets) but, this year and last year for ticks are out of control.
my aussie dog gets them all time, usually around his neck. hard to get them out cause of his fur. I was thinking of
cutting his fur, or shaving it down shorter. what do you think? I already cut some fur around his neck. he don't stand still long enough for me to finish. :roll:

thank you for your ideas..

Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:23 pm

Shaving him will make it easier for things to bite him; also it'll dull his coat. You should never shave any dog that has a double or mixed coat unless there's a medical reason to.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:32 pm

Juska,

I was not going to shave him, cut his fur down. not going to now. it is hard to get through his fur to pull the ticks off.
he gets them on his neck and around his ear :shrug: Cutting his fur down a little might help? I did cut some last week, not much though.

I just got back from the vets with Anna. She is doing good. I end up buying a pill you mentioned. 50.00. good for 3 months.
she also got a vaccine for lyme disease. I didn't know Leo(my aussie) got a vaccine for lyme disease last october.
now I need to take Lucy(my beagle) in for testing. her shot expired last year.

Never had an aussie dog before, so not real familiar with that breed. Most of my dogs I had were hunting dogs, sheppards (mostly short fur.
Thank you for the info, much appreciated.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”