PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Question about a dog's clawl?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Question about a dog's clawl?

Postby pat » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Leo (my aussie dog) pulled one of his claws completely out.I think he jump one the fences I have, and must of got it nail caught in fence.
I had Leo at the vets today for that.
I asked the vet if his claw could grow back, first she said no, then she said it is possible, but, could take months.

I was wondering if anyone ever had this problem? or know more about it?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about a dog's clawl?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:27 pm

The nail bed is what most call the quick. If he broke it wall the way to the toe he probably broke bone but it' unlikely he pulled the base of the bone out so there could still be some quick and it could grow more nail, so it may or may not grow back if it does grow back it may or may not grow back funky. One of my old dogs used to regularly break off her dew claws, bled like crazy but they'd grow back.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:31 pm

A monitor lizard I work with got one of his nails ripped off (he wedged it in a crack on the floor when he was walking, got stuck, and then pulled really hard). Lots of blood at first. It pulled off the entire nail. But it is regrowing since the quick is still there. It is a very slow process though. Good luck with Leo. Poor thing.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:20 pm

Toenail injuries in dogs are pretty common, saw lots of them when working in a animal hospital. They bleed alot which tends to make owners think it is worse than it is. I'm sure you and/or the vet cleaned the area so shouldn't be much chance for infection.

Hope Leo's nail grows back so the other pets don't make fun of him :icon-wink:
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:07 am

I appreciate everyone's replies, very helpful.
the chart mary posted is really great. it's a keeper.

I was wondering if it really would grow back. guess I will have to wait and see.
just glad his injury was not bad. it just looked bad, blood all over,
I panic when I see blood. when my beagle ripped her chest open a few years ago, I was home myself,
I was a basket case. I called gary to come and look at it. rushed her to the vet and a bunch of stitches later.
I really wish I was not so whimpy.

since Leo is a hyper dog, it is hard to restrain him.
how does the vet restrain animals? of course they have more "man power" there.
They took him in the back to look at him, I did hear him yelping a couple times, really upset me.

The vet gave me antibotics for leo, do you think he really needed them?
guess it wont' hurt if he didn't. also giving him deramaxx for pain. I am sure that hurts him.

This issue and the experience I had with my other dog with lyme disease gave me an idea.
I should put together a page for illnesses, and injurys? what to do, what to look for? of course I would need assistance for more issues.
Thoughts? will put a page on my web site and here? anyone helping will get credit and their webpage/blog or whatever on that sheet.

anyone willing to give me their experience and knowledge?

Again, thank you everyone for your replies, very helpful.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”