PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Prednisone for a Bobcat's Ear Hematoma?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

hecate

Prednisone for a Bobcat's Ear Hematoma?

Postby hecate » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:38 pm

Scully came up with an auricular hematoma, no idea how since her ears are spotless and she has no fleas. My vet says he hates doing surgery on these things, and I agree. He wants to put her on an extended course of prednisone which he says takes longer but results in the least scarring.

I'm not crazy about corticosteroids in general and have had a bad experience or two over the years with my dogs. Has anyone had a bobcat on prednisone, or had to deal with auricular hematomas in exotic cats?

Thanks.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Prednisone for a Bobcat's Ear Hematoma?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:51 pm

We've had some members with the issue in foxes. Maybe they'll pop in. I'd be reluctant too.

The pred will decrease inflammation but raise the risk of infection and just be hard on his whole body in general. If they are looking to decrease inflammation I'd expect there to be better options. If it's being given to decrease pain there are for sure better options. Pred can actually decrease wound healing times. I guess slower healing would decrease scarring but I'd worry less about esthetics and more about his over all well being.
hecate

Re: Prednisone for a Bobcat's Ear Hematoma?

Postby hecate » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks, those are my concerns exactly. I have a call in to my holistic vet as well but haven't heard from her yet.

A friend has a cat with chronic ear problems who's had hematomas in both ears. She opted for surgery and said it was a real mess. I asked another friend who's a vet but not licensed in my state and he said he hates auricular hematoma surgeries. He does them when the owners absolutely insist but the cats have more discomfort from the sutures and nearly always get post-op infections.

I just wish she would slow down and not kitty-parkour off the walls so much. I don't want her to make it any worse.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”