PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Foxtail Seed In Dog's Nose

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Foxtail Seed In Dog's Nose

Postby Ash » Sat May 14, 2016 11:36 pm

Our dog has a foxtail up his nose. My sister saw it in there, and she went to grab some tweezers, but by the time she came back, he had snuffed it up. And then he was sneezing nonstop. We took him to the emergency care where he was put under anesthesia. They looked up his nose with a microscope I guess and then also flushed his nose.

They said they saw no signs of a foxtail, but they said that you can't see all the way up a dog's nose either, so there were some inches left unaccounted for that they couldn't check out.

Well... We left at 2:30, and it is 9:30 now. He's acting lethargic and miserable, and just recently started sneezing--like one sneezing fit with lots of sneezes. Do you think it could still be up there? Do vets really not have a tool to see all the way up the nasal cavity? Wouldn't flushing it out have worked?

I'm sure it's irritated, but if they didn't find it, then it's likely to still be in there, right?

If he keeps sneezing and acting miserable, how long should we let that go on for before taking him back in? And what would they recheck for if they didn't see anything the first time?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
hecate

Re: Foxtail Seed In Dog's Nose

Postby hecate » Sun May 15, 2016 1:58 am

Foxtails don't back out on their own and can be lethal.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/foxtail-grass-and-your-dog

A friend lost one of her Arabian mares when a foxtail she had inhaled while at a breeding farm got into her guttural pouch, penetrated through into the carotid artery, and caused a massive hemmorhage. If one of my dogs snorted a foxtail I would insist it be found and removed as soon as possible.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun May 15, 2016 3:26 pm

When I thought Stasi ate a toy I took her in, they did an exam, found nothing. I had to
request xrays of her throat, her chest, her abdomen. Nothing turned up, but I learned
not every vet office is going to take the initiative, you've got to stay in the "customer"
mindset, bring your questions in on paper, and make sure you get resolution before you
leave.

Had no idea foxtails could be so dangerous, you've got to be a nervous wreck. :(
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun May 15, 2016 4:18 pm

It's possible he snorted it out rather than snuffed it up his nose. Might just be irritated from having it up there.

Hope he feels better soon! :(
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun May 15, 2016 6:47 pm

Yeah, that's my point. If they didn't get out, it's still in there unless it got flushed out, but then I think they would have seen it. Shouldn't a vet be able to find out for sure or not?

We brought him in, and she was condescending, looked, said she couldn't guarantee it wasn't there, said she flushed his nose in case it was pollen, and then said bring him back if he kept snorting/sneezing. To do what? What is she going to do the next time that she couldn't have done the first time other than charge us for two visits?

He is still snorting and sneezing a lot today. The lethargy was definitely from the anesthesia. He "woke out of it" at like 2:00 am, wanting to play, and then wouldn't go back to sleep. But it's still likely in there.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Can you call around for a second opinion, maybe check for someone with ear nose throat/foreign body experience?

Can imagine how anxiety-inducing and stressful this is. icon-sad You should let that office know how dissatisfied you are with the
way your emergency has been handled once this blows over.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun May 15, 2016 9:25 pm

By the way, I really appreciate all the advice and opinions. Forgot to say that earlier, I was just worried.

Yeah, we are planning to get a second opinion from another vet. As Hecate said, it will only get worse the longer you wait. :/

Thanks, Ana. It is very stressful. I don't want him to be in pain or discomfort...
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed May 18, 2016 12:26 am

Any updates on your bub? hoping like hell it was just residual swelling and it's over with.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 18, 2016 4:33 am

I think it was just irritation, thank goodness... They must have flushed it out even though they didn't see anything. Or maybe he sniffed it up so high he swallowed it. Today he has not been sneezy, so that was a great sign... I am relieved.

Thanks again for all the comments, everyone. :) I really appreciated it.

The other tests to check for it were going to cost $1700. I am happy the pup is doing great now.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”