PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Emo won't go outside or stand up.

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Emo won't go outside or stand up.

Postby Juska » Thu May 19, 2016 7:56 pm

Hi all,

Sorry it's been a long time since I've posted here.

Emo was limping on one of her front legs yesterday, but wasn't showing signs of it actually hurting. Mom squeezed and bent her joints and foot but no reaction.

Now today mom says she doesn't want to get up, eat, drink or go outside. She'll eat if they hand it to her. She doesn't want to go outside which is not normal. She saw the neighbor outside and barked/wagged her tail, but right after that she didn't want to do anything. She just sits or lays down and it takes a lot to get her up.

I have no idea what is going on with her. This is all what my mom has told me. I told her to get her to the vet asap so I'll know more soon, I hope. All I can think of is maybe a UTI or maybe Lyme disease? I don't know.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Emo won't go outside or stand up.

Postby pat » Thu May 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Juska,

was wondering where you have been. we missed you.
as for elmo, what's his age? sorry, cant remember.

It could very well be lyme disease. my coonhound had similar issues. she had a very hard time walking and didn't eat much.
I took her to vet, thinking, "well, there is another dog I will be bringing home in a body bag"

the vet did blood work, where she tested positive for lyme. the bill was not cheap at the vet.
the blood work, and more. but, they put my dog on antibotics for a month. she is doing great now.
in fact, the next day after taking the antibotics, she was back to normal.

other than the lyme, I really don't know what else it would be. most likely Elmo will have to see a vet.
the other members might have more ideas. but, it sure does sound familiar.

Did Elmo have the lyme vaccine?

Please keep us updated, I really want to know what is wrong if it is not lyme.

I am sorry you have to go through this, it is not easy seeing our babies sick, and not knowing why. icon-sad
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 20, 2016 8:25 am

Emo (my parents do call her Elmo sometimes lol) has a vet appointment for 6:45 today. I told my mother to have a blood test done and specifically for Lyme. She will be 11 in October. Her last vaccines were last summer, the one-year dose...rabies and other stuff but I don't remember all of them. I have the document at home in my file folder.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri May 20, 2016 8:44 am

at 11 years old, it could be something else. I don't know. call the vet and ask if she got got her lyme prevention shot.
I don't want to discourage you, but, she could have cancer icon-sad

last spring, one of my coonhounds was fine, running around. the next morning she couldnt walk at all, she looked pretty bad.
took her to the vet and found out she had cancer in her stomach, and the tumor burst. I had not choice to put her down.
she was only 8.

again, not trying to discourage you, just preparing you just in case.

please let me know what the vet says.

Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 20, 2016 9:36 am

I'm suspecting it's Lyme because of the limping on the first day, and then yesterday she was having a hard time lying down/getting up. Mom sent me a video this morning of her trying to lay down. It was like she didn't want to put pressure on that leg to help her down to the ground. I'm thinking that's where the tick bit her and it's coming from there. Mom says her "wrist" was swollen a little but Emo didn't give any reaction to my mom gently squeezing or moving it to see if she had a broken bone or pulled muscle.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri May 20, 2016 4:13 pm

with lyme it affects the whole body from what I have experience. not sure about swellling in just one area.

on another note, that is how my dog started, limping, then to the point, she could barley walk.
had to lift her in the truck when taking her to the vet.

chances are the vet would do blood work anyway.

I am hoping (Emo/Elmo) will be OK. if it is lyme, as long as it is not to an advance stage. she should be OK.
had to give my dog antibotics twice a day. for a month.. From what I have heard/read about lyme, once bitten,
it takes months for a dog to show symptoms.

how long ago did your dog start having problems?

please let me know what the vet said.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat May 21, 2016 6:33 am

Juska,

what did the vet say?

Juska

Postby Juska » Sat May 21, 2016 9:44 am

Emo has Lyme disease and arthritis.

She is on doxycycline and an anti inflammatory for 30 days, then a follow up appointment at the vet. I had them do a more in-depth screening that will be done again in six months to better understand how much of the Lyme is left, if at all. The vet visit, medication and advanced screening was $350.

She was limping a little after the vet visit but was happy to hop in the van to go home. She climbed the stairs with no issues. This morning she went outside and down the stairs on her own, and as of right now she seems to be walking and able to stand up without much trouble.

I got her to eat some wet food and she drank water by herself last night. She is eating some breakfast with us now. When she goes and lays next to her food bowl to eat I'll know she's feeling well again.

Thanks for the support and keeping her in your thoughts. She should be right as rain in a few days.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sat May 21, 2016 6:56 pm

Lyme disease scares me. :( I'm so thankful you were able to get her help.

*hugs*
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat May 21, 2016 8:08 pm

Juska,

glad you got the lyme treated early enough. most likely she will be up and running by tomorrow, as if nothing was wrong.
that is how my dog was. did she get a lyme prevention shot?

you got away cheaper than I did it cost me over 400.00. but, I bought one of those 3 month pills, cost 50.00

keep me updated on her progress..

Juska

Postby Juska » Sun May 22, 2016 2:48 am

She seems to be back to normal for the most part today. She went outside, had her pills, I gave her a bone and she went to town on that. Got up on her chair and slept, which is a good sign. She got lots of goodies at breakfast and dinner. Drank water on her own.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun May 22, 2016 9:33 am

:peng: so glad to hear that. it is amazing how fast these antibotics work.
so glad you took her to vets in time.

Juska

Postby Juska » Sun May 22, 2016 9:58 am

Still working on her bone. I'm so glad she's feeling better.

My parents thought she was going to die. Any time one of our pets has a problem they always call and ask. Usually it's something treatable at home (ears need cleaned, etc) but when it sounds serious, it's vet time.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun May 22, 2016 10:24 am

I know what you mean when our "kids" get sick, we always tend to think the worse.
then sometimes when we think it is minor. it is not. icon-sad

My parents thought she was going to die

that is exactly how I felt with Anna, really thought I would be bringing her home in a body bag.

seems there is a lot of lyme disease lately. it's creepy, one little infected tick can do all this damage.
did you get a lyme preventive shot for emo?
the way this is suppose to work, is the first injection, then 4 weeks later, another.
then they are good for a year, then I think 3 years, guess like the rabies shots.

so glad your emo is doing better. what a relief.

Juska

Postby Juska » Tue May 24, 2016 9:10 pm

Just checked her most recent vaccination records and I only had her vaccinated for rabies last year. The 1-year vaccine to qualify for the 3-year this year. I guess I'll have my mother take them to Tractor Supply sometime to get the 3-year and the lyme. That's all they can really be exposed to. This time last year I was a housekeeper and was spending all of my money on feeding them decent food and trying to save up for an apartment. Now I can get them what they need without fear of not being able to pay for it.

I also got Emo a dose of Nexgard at the vet. Hopefully that will help with ticks as well. They've had barely any fleas or ticks since probably a year and a half ago; that was the last time the fleas got bad.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”