PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Emo won't go outside or stand up.

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Emo won't go outside or stand up.

Postby pat » Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 am

you can't wait too long after the first year of the rabie vaccine. if it is too long, then emo might not be able to get the 3 year vaccine.
same goes for the lyme.

how is emo doing? better? lyme is a had problem, but, at least you got emo in time and saved her life.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed May 25, 2016 11:18 am

She's back to normal, like nothing even happened. Seems the doxycycline is doing its job. Just a happy old dog again :) I think her vaccination was in June or July so there's time, I believe, since it hasn't been a whole year yet. I'll see about getting it done soon.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun May 29, 2016 10:54 am

Juska,

so glad emo is doing good.

on the lyme shot, according to my vet. (unless it was about $$$) after the 1st lyme vaccine, the dog should get another one in 30 days,
then another one in 1 year, after the year, they can get the 3 year lyme vaccine.

so what would happen if we just got the 3 year one? that is what confuses me. almost the same the rabie and distemper. the very one should be 1 year, then 3 year, don't know why my vet did the 30 day first...

Juska

Postby Juska » Tue May 31, 2016 10:23 am

No idea. Might be a gradual buildup in exposure to generate antibodies, instead of giving one super-loaded vaccine. I am going to hold off on giving her any vaccines until her advanced lab results come back in a few months. If they come back good and the vet clears her, then I will get her vaccines for rabies and Lyme. I'm not a big fan of the Lyme vaccine series because it's not a "guaranteed" vaccine like rabies, etc. Kind of like the flu shots they give people. Don't count on it protecting you.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 31, 2016 12:59 pm

I don't have no idea what the difference would be in the series of lyme shots.
according to my vet, they claim the lyme vaccine has improved :shrug:

I will tell you this though, a few days before Anna went missing, I did see a big tick on her,
but, the tick was dead. however, it looked a little bloody around where the tick was.
I of course removed the tick.

so far, that is the only time I seen one her. she didn't even have any after her almost a week missing.

just glad Emo is better..

Juska

Postby Juska » Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 pm

It has been about a year now, and Emo has not had any signs of Lyme disease (knock on wood). I decided to not give her a Lyme vaccine. Both dogs have been getting the Nexgard flea and tick chewables. Apparently, I've read, only about 5-10% of affected dogs ever show symptoms (they just carry it without becoming sick)...poor Emo.

I came to the decision about the vaccine after reading some articles about it. Here is an excerpt from one of them:
http://healthypets.mercola.com/lyme-dis ... -dogs.aspx
There is a vaccine available for Lyme disease, but I don’t recommend it for a couple of reasons.
This vaccine is known to send the canine immune system into overdrive, triggering a number of serious secondary reactions including autoimmune disease.

Many pet owners believe the vaccine will prevent ticks from attaching to their dog. This isn’t the case – you will still need to apply a topical tick repellent to your pet.

For dog owners who have their pets vaccinated for Lyme disease and use chemical repellents, it means a double dose of toxins for the animal, which of course means two potential triggers for toxicosis, a disease condition due to poisoning.

For this reason, more and more veterinarians are recommending that dog owners skip the vaccine and use only topical anti-tick products to prevent ticks from attaching to your pet.
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed May 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Wow, that had to be so scary. Thank goodness everything is okay.
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 am

Very scary. I drove over a hundred miles that day she was taken to the vet, to be with her. I left work and drove straight to the vet office without stopping. I made it there just as the vet was coming into the exam room. Then I stayed at mom and dad's for a few days and worked remotely to make sure she was okay, before going home.

I wasn't there for Max when he crossed the rainbow bridge (both of my parents were, though) and I want to be there for Emo when her time comes. Hopefully that will not be for a long time yet, but this whole thing was kind of a wake-up call that she's not young anymore...
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu May 18, 2017 7:53 pm

I experienced something very similar recently. I'm thankful, really. It's given me the chance to rededicate myself. <3

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”