PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Is this aggressive?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

H20 Sl

Is this aggressive?

Postby H20 Sl » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:40 am

I did this on purpose to see what he would do and get a photo, but I let him attack my arm, which I DONT let him do when he does, I play with a toy, he still goes after my limbs anyway. But he was growling, which could mean play, and really latching on my arm, I wore a thick sweatshirt because he was being really ruff the past days. But the photo was after I pushed him away. He's 4 months I think now, or 3. I know hormones start coming in, but I don't think hes old enough. I tried to burn energy with him, I was being ruff with toys so he could maybe catch on? Tell me if I'm doing the wrong things please.
Attachments
IMG_20160719_103235.jpg
H20 Sl

Re: Is this aggressive?

Postby H20 Sl » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:47 am

Oh, and he's been stealing a lot of food recently, that's probably normal though, but he's usually a light eater. And do you thing goose gizzards and goose heart, 3 (of ether or both ) a night is enough taurine?
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:01 pm

Ok, now, i was just drinking water on the couch and he gets all up in my face, walking all over my head, face, everywhere and the moment I touch him, because he is not listening to NO, as loud as i can be, He latches on my arm and growls. I pushed him back and he lowered his ears and charged for my arm, and shook it growling. Gave him an egg before this, and he ate it, but not all the shell. And he's still following me around. The moment i eat on the table, he's there on it, which is gross, btw.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:19 am

very pretty fox.

from what I have read, sounds to me like you need to make some adjustments with him.
Don't play rough with him. maybe a tug a war rope.
you must be consistent with correction. never let him get away with any type of misbehaving.

when you tell him "NO" you must be consistent. Never let bite you without correction.
when he goes to bite, put a stuffed toy in his mouth, more toward the back of his mouth so he can't clamp down.
he should understand what each word/s mean. might take some time. foxes don't learn as quick as a dog would.
when he goes to bite, tell him "no bite" very loud until he understands what it means. you can tap him on the nose when you tell him "no bite"
you could also try spraying him in face with water.

when it comes to food, a fox will steal food and/or mark on it.
when you are eating, put your fox in another room or in his enclosure. if you don't have an enclosure, please consider one. it is a must for foxes.
they don't have to stay there 24/7, but, they need their own space as they grow and even as an adult.

when you have a fox living in your home 24/7, you need to fox proof your house.

overall, sounds like he thinks he is the dominant one, and you don't want that.

as for the poultry gizzards, it is good for the taurine and it is not too much.
where are you getting the gizzards at? I use to special order them from Giant Eagle for .90lb.
then there was a new manager and he tried charging me 1.89lb :roll: so now, I need to find somewhere I can get them cheaper.
been calling around, no one has them or can get them icon-sad

keep us updated..

the other members will offer more ideas for you.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:34 am

Oh, i would never coop him up in the house all the time, he has an enclosure, its just a work in progress sense he managed to escape it and was chasing him around the house fro and hour.. I'm making a few adjustments to get him out there and running around. I do carry him around outside for now because he's not good with anything that "follows" him, collar, leash, harness, etc. I say it's just an instinct I couldn't curb.

We go hunting for our geese and squirrel, some hunters didn't need all of their geese, so they pawned them off, ended up with about 9 not counting ours. But I do know the Kroger in my area would order them for me, I don't know how much it would cost though.

Ok, I'll try some stuff out and keep updating on anything new. Thank you for your help ;)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Due to your picture and description, it sounds like he gets carried away in his playing, to the point that he starts to get a little aggressive. This is not straight out aggression--this is more like crazy excitement that I'm assuming you want to curb.

Fox kits are very bitey, and will latch on to your arm with their teeth and shake. It is important to realize this is not an aggressive thing. This is simply how they play. That being said, the shaking is an undesirable behavior, so correcting it is important. When Ifrit was little, she would latch on with her teeth and shake like that. I'd tell her "no," open her mouth, and either ignore her or get her interested in something else. Honestly, she grew out of the bad biting, and now she only "bites" affectionately (not really biting, just putting her mouth on you).

As for your fox jumping up on the table, that's just going to be normal if he's kept inside. You can try to persuade him not to, but foxes like being up high, want to see what's going on, and don't listen very well to our human rules.

It sounds like you're doing things right overall, and I'm sure it will be a relief to you once the enclosure gets repaired and he can be outside more. Anyway, hope that helps. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:01 pm

He's gotten better, caught on a bit. Been using the water bottle, he hates it, which is a relief. He's still bad, but he flinches every time i say "not bite". I''ll also spray him for "No" sometimes if he tries to back me in to a corner. when i don't have the water bottle with me, he'll know after a while when he's being bad and nothing happens when i say no bite.

When i play with him, i use a long toy and whip him around, he likes that. Don't know if that's too aggressive of me to do? :shrug:

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”